ALERT IN FRANCE

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by thegunny, Jan 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "run" to "hide."

The only two higher levels in France are "surrender" and "collaborate."

The raise was precipitated by the recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military

2. They also have slightly used rifles, only dropped once.

How many French stereotypes can we come up with?

3. These disparaging remarks reference our Gallic neighbours are actually quite unfair :cry: Rommel himself (no slouch on the generalling front) admitted that it was the actions of the French Army which stopped him cutting off the BEF in 1940, enabling the Dunkirk evacuation.

Apparently they were surrendering in such vast numbers the Germans couldn't process them quickly enough :twisted:

4. Did you know? that Winston Churchill's famous speech:

We shall go on to the end;

We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans;

We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air;

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be;

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds;

We shall fight in the fields, and in the streets;

We shall fight in the hills;

We shall never surrender...

utilized words that originated in English language with the exception of one....the word 'surrender' originated in the French language.

5. naturally the answer to the french question would be 'F'

8)

6. Thanks, Gunny, I needed a good laugh. Now, however, I need a new monitor as I spewed my ale through my nose all over this one.

7. Seems strange to me that France recently rejoined NATO and then suddenly put their alert state on terrorism up 8O

It would be interesting to see if any suspected members of Terrorist organisations living in France will be arrested :?:

8. I think that I am right in saying that France never actually left NATO. They wanted their own control over their nukes.

9. The French are a much maigned and insulted people. They do not deserve their reputation as rude, arrogant, narrow minded, self absorbed, smelly or lazy. I will blockade the ports and dump dead cows in the street of anyone who does so.

Just look at their superb education system and world view.

By the age of FIVE every French child must be able to say in flawless French, German and English

"The ones you are looking for are hiding under the stairs officer"

How many English kids could do the same.

Bon Chance.

10. This is just too good a thread to keep out of sight!

We all know why the roads in France are lined with trees? Because the Germans like to march in the shade!

Nice one M. Chirac for being rude to George Dubberyer - talk about being ungrateful! He's clearly forgotten DDay and the Liberation, or secretly did the Frogs want to stay firmly under the heel of the German Jackboot? Methinks that this is the case - look only as far as what's happening in Brussels. Vichy France and the Hun are slowly getting back all that Uncle Adolf lost 60 years ago.

11. Lyndon Johnson's reply to De Gaulle when told he wanted all American soldiers off French soil....... "Including the dead ones?"

12. Actually the French have left NATO, they only have observer status (something they seem to be quite good at).

this of course, make Chirac's rumblings about replacing NATO with EUFOR. As usually the British press has missed this whole point!

13. PY, I know you are usually v well-informed, but that statement doesnt look right to me.

14. The Frogs were originally in NATO, (or OTAN if you're a Cheese-eating surrender-monkey).

De Gaulle, and at this stage remember that NATO HQ was in France at Fontainblue outside Paris, decided that due presumably to the outstanding bravery shown by himself (ran away to England) and by the French army (just ran away), deserved to be more important than everyone else, especially the Mercans and the Brits, and that he should be in charge.

Not surprisingly he was told to shut the f*ck up, so he banished NATO from French soil, so recently fertilised by the blood of those whom he now chose to spite.

The result was a 'temporary' HQ in Belgium, at SHAPE near Mons, or Bergen if you're unfortunate enough to be Flemmish. SHAPE is still there.

Having had his bluff called, Big Nose De Gaulle then tried to jump on board again and we ended up with a thing called 'Live Oak' which basically was the French mission blistered on the side of SHAPE.

We had to be a bit wary as the cowardly nation of waiters and vendors of the aptly named Vichy water were on the top table at the UN and were a nuclear power.

One of the down sides to this move was a collapse in the quality of rations whilst out 'sur le ming' - Mons is not a fair swap for gay Paree. And all NATO officers were condemned to a perpetual diet of moules et frites and got bigger and fatter, but the beer was better........

15. Cheers for that Queenie! beat me to it and in a much more concised manner (you must be staff trained - poor boy!)