Aldi\Lidl Spirits

With Christmas fast approaching and all of the major supermarkets getting their big discounts on spirits on the shelves there is always the need for some cheap booze in the house for those who you think don't deserve 'the good stuff'.
I've had the Aldi Baileys knock-off which, to be honest, wasn't too bad, but they tend to put out more bottles at this time of year and I was wondering whether anyone out there had tried the other spirits on offer, if so can you please let me know what you thought of them.
Or is it all just tramps piss?

CPLBBT

Old-Salt
You get what you pay for with most of it.

You can tell it aint Baileys when you have a glass, but its ok.

Im looking for their version of Spiced rum.

I have a few aquaintancies, mainly through Mrs slaw who drink brandy and coke! and whisky and ginger beer! (I know) There is no way they will ever be let near the good stuff, so I always have

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/drinks/spirits/spirits-product-detail/ps/p/napoleon-brandy/

and

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-r...duct-detail/ps/p/highland-earl-scotch-whisky/

or similar handy.

I have no idea what they taste like, but when they're mixed with pop, who cares!

Also good for home made brandy butter and whisky sauce.

ACAB

LE
I buy their red wine which is OK. I rarely drink spirits and if I do will have them with lemonade or coke so 'taste' wise as long as it is 40%ABV it's a winner.

ACAB

LE
After the third bottle on Xmas day I don't care.
Excellent point!

Have a bottle of best and have few drams of that, then switch to tramps piss coz by then you won't be able to tell the difference.

I buy their red wine which is OK. I rarely drink spirits and if I do will have them with lemonade or coke so 'taste' wise as long as it is 40%ABV it's a winner.

I shop in Waitrose because I'm not a pauper, but I've heard from numerous sources that Aldi wine is decent.

In the US, Aldi do bottles of red for about £1.

Swannee Kazoo

War Hero
With Christmas fast approaching and all of the major supermarkets getting their big discounts on spirits on the shelves there is always the need for some cheap booze in the house for those who you think don't deserve 'the good stuff'.
I've had the Aldi Baileys knock-off which, to be honest, wasn't too bad, but they tend to put out more bottles at this time of year and I was wondering whether anyone out there had tried the other spirits on offer, if so can you please let me know what you thought of them.
Or is it all just tramps piss?

Not so much the Aldi stuff, but The Tescos/Sainsburys version of Baileys which is marketed as Irish liqueur is not bad at all, tastes pretty much the same, but is not quite as thick (personally think this is a good thing, but each to his own) and tends to be around half the price.

I'm all for it, cheap booze for the visitors. One crimbo my father-in-law (deceased now, bless him) drank all my Jack Daniels, leaving me with a shitty red wine.

Aldi Highland Earl whisky is very palatable, smooth and sweet.

For friends, they do a single malt, Glen Marnoch 18yr old, which is very good.

Lidl do a really awesome gin, fabulous flavour, can't remember the name, but it comes in a 50cl bottle only........ about a tenner

For friends, they do a single malt, Glen Marnoch 18yr old, which is very good.

Tasting notes from Master of Malt:

Nose: Red apples, bourbon, gristy, vanilla. Heat brings out more bourbon and rye spice.

Palate: Lean, slightly bitter, not a huge deal of depth. An enormous hit of almost Saccharine sweetness before the rye spice develops into a slightly acrid note?

Finish: Acrid saccharine turns slightly alkali, and slightly mouth-watering (not in a good way). Becomes really very off-putting at the death.

I think I'll be alright.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Aldi/Lidl Baileys goes well with Turkey twizzlers, frozen rosties and Grandma lee's Yorkshire puds. That's Christmas dinner sorted. Yer tramps.

ACAB

LE
Aldi/Lidl Baileys goes well with Turkey twizzlers, frozen rosties and Grandma lee's Yorkshire puds. That's Christmas dinner sorted. Yer tramps.
It goes even better with a large dash of brandy.

Latest Threads