Aldershot to host GB Olympic team

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Aldershot Army base in Hampshire has been chosen as the official training camp for the British Olympic team ahead of the 2012 Games in London.
    Aldershot has battled with universities in Bath and Loughborough, in Leics, to be chosen as the base for Team GB.

They will be housed at the Army barracks, where traditionally new recruits are put through their paces.

It is thought the site's proximity to London and secure location prevailed over the two university campus sites.

Centre of excellence

Aldershot entered the bidding late, but crucially had the support of the head of the British Olympic Association (BOA), Simon Clegg, who served as a major at Aldershot, and the head of the Army, General Sir Richard Dannatt.

The Army's Centre of Sporting Excellence has many of the facilities in place for the 750-strong team who will descend on Aldershot.

Its new Olympic-sized 50-metre pool is already home to the British synchronised swimming team.

A 400-metre running track and two indoor sports arenas mean it is flexible enough to host training for many of the Olympic disciplines.

The defeated universities describe themselves as having world-beating sporting facilities.

Together, they say they have received recent investment for sports training worth some £70m.

Revitalised fortunes

Ties between the armed forces and the BOA have been strong in the past.

Mr Clegg served as a major at Aldershot and 2004 double-Olympic champion Dame Kelly Holmes was a physical trainer in the adjutant general's corps.

The Army first set up a permanent camp in Aldershot in 1854, and the population boomed so much that the town became known as the home of the British army.

It hosted a military tattoo for Queen Victoria in 1894 that continues to this day as an annual army show.

Aldershot is currently receiving £12bn as part of a huge regeneration project and last month was named one of UK's most popular places to live.

Has it changed then????

2. This is great news for all sorts of resons; not least the potential effect on Army sport. Well done to all involved.

Incidentally, Aldershot has been a great place to live for at least a decade. Any connection to this being approx the same timeframe to when the 5 Bde moved out is pure coincidence.

3. Aldershot Army base in Hampshire has been chosen as the official training camp for the British Olympic team ahead of the 2012 Games in London.
    Aldershot has battled with universities in Bath and Loughborough, in Leics, to be chosen as the base for Team GB.

They will be housed at the Army barracks, where traditionally new recruits are put through their paces etc etc etc

You think they will be in Buller (or any other A/shot Bks) Transit accommadation? :roll: Doubt it, SLAM for those guys!

4. They are staying in Mons Barracks and funnily enough, even though they are pretty good for us, they still are not up to scratch for the team so more work has to be done to bring them up to their required standard.
    Good enough for permanent accom for squaddies but not acceptable for civvies. Sounds familiar?????

However at least it is some good PR.....

5. Whats the betting the team will get its own UIN and get Priority 1 issues!!!
    Call me cycical but you just know the whole funding for the Olympics will go way over budget and you can see it now, obscene amounts of money being spent on housing/looking after the team in Aldershot, with what soldiers that are not on Ops, bussing them around and doing other mong jobs!

6. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the 'Shot winning ahead of Lougbourough & Bath Uni's, it should do the town's less than salubrious reputation some good.

However, lets hope that it is also of long term benefit for the Army and that:

a) Any special construction for the team is paid for by the Olympic budget and NOT the Army's.
    b) Any military land and facilities used are returned to the Army after the Olympics has finished.
    c) The Army is not inconvenienced by this through disruption to training or operations.

7. I'm assuming the 400m track they are on about isn't the old clay one that looks like a big puddle at the mo?

Also does this mean that Units will have to compete with the team to gain access to the facilities for our own training?

Jimima

8. What, even the Bulgarian "ladies" 8O

9. Apart from problems i mentioned before and yours, why do i get the feeling from outside Aldershot this is good PR, but guys on ground it will be a right pain in the proverbial!

10. First reaction was "what great PR for the Army"

On reflection I am starting to get more and more concerned. I am sure Bath and Loughborough Universities as sporting centres of excellence were desperate to get this business because it would bring in paying customers down-stream. The Army is hardly likely to attract the elite olympians in the future (not knocking the great Dame Kelly and rest - but they are a tiny minority)

I hope there will be some transparency about how this bid was won. The shocking record on 2012 funding so far does not bode well.

I note the article waxes lyrical about the Aldershot Army Show. What a great event that was - all the way down Queen's Avenue attracting thousands of people. Scrapped a long time ago because we couldn't afford it - if I remember correctly. Can we now afford PR gestures?

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Let us hope that Sodexho won't be providing the catering.

12. It would be a first for the Shot to see really 'fit' birds in Ron Hills (and without white high heels)!

13. They do have an Army show of sorts now, not on the grand scale that it used to be when in Rushmoor Arena but the new one attracts about 20,000 plus.