Aldershot..'Overwhelmed by Nepalese'

I was never a big Fan of Johnny G having served with them, not the Men of John Masters Day, too political.
However They have Served and so do deserve preferential treatment.

john
I am assured that there are more Gurkha's in Hong Kong Now then when The Brit ran the place.

Article in the Aldershot News today by local MP Gerald Howarth:

Towns 'overwhelmed' by Nepalese, MP claims - News - gethampshire

Whatever your opionions are I personally think he's got a bit of a point, as much as I welcome the ex Gurkha fraternity more than the Eastern European biffs (see my previous rants for the reasons why!), the towns (Aldershot and Farnborough) are becoming enclaves of Nepal and I do wonder just how many of them actually served in the Forces.
The older ones who've rocked up post Lumley are fish out of water, the poor old sods have nothing to do all day except wander round town wrapped up in blankets as is the Nepali way.
I won't go into all the other stuff I've heard about the goings on but I think they need to start residing in other towns in the area and not just here (not including Folkestone and Reading).
Plus, all their kids think they're living in a Jet Li film and have scraps et every opportunity...mullets flying everywhere!

The Gurkhas are a good bunch of soldiers...no trouble at all. Compliant to our culture and they actually did something for this country. The three million plus muslims that reside here and seek to take over our way of life then to kill us all having done nothing but live on benifits are the ones to complain about....surely? Anyone driven through Bradford recently?...sheesh!

Milodude

Old-Salt
I'm amazed,we have a large Nepalese population down here (Ashford,Sandgate,Shorncliffe,Folkestone,Dover,etc),and a nicer bunch of people I've yet to meet.

In Ashford,we have quite a number of ex-Ghurkas,and their extended families,they bought houses in locations that other local people wouldn't buy,mainly on one of the so called 'problem estates',quietened those down,and they get on with everyone.

They are visible all over the region,mainly in security jobs,but some have opened their own shops,and restaurants,and are always friendly and polite,wich makes a nice change,if they know you're ex services,they can't do enough for you,so I don't know what the problem is,you want to swap yours for an equal number of Kosovans/Afghans? :)

That'll be Stanhope then,....

And Ashford does have an equal number of (or very close to) of Kosovans/Afghans, not to mention Iraqis/Kurds.

/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by msr /images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
Have you ever been to Nepal?
Yes, I have. Both as a posting to BGN and for a private visit. Believe me, currency exchange means that their pensions go a lot further in Nepal than they do in the UK, even with the other welfare benefits.
Yes, based in a tented camp in Bhairawa. At the end of our tour (Op) each of our Squadron were presented with a Kukri at Pokhara.

I would agree with RP578.

The three million plus muslims that reside here and seek to take over our way of life then to kill us all having done nothing but live on benifits are the ones to complain about....surely? Anyone driven through Bradford recently?...sheesh!

You are Nick Griffin and I claim my £5. I know generalised statements about non-scientific issues isn't your strongest suit Higgsy but can I respectfully suggest you re-read that and think what it sounds like - objectively and subjectively?

Or were you perhaps being ironic. No? I didn't think so.

Though you haven't said this, you seem to be drawing the equivalence of an analogy between the Nepalese immigrants in those environs and what people bitch about in the U.S. with regard to Mexicans, who haven't served in our Armed Forces, are more than likely to be "illegal" immigrants...... Presumably these Nepalese are legal residents of the UK AND pay taxes ...... So I have to ask: what's the fundamental problem ? I mean, would you be saying the same thing about crowding out the NHS clinics, schools, etc, if these folks were English/Scots/Welch from elsewhere in the UK ?

Just curious .....

Nathan Hale

I'm not saying it....the local MP and Council are. I just tend to agree (in parts) with some of the stuff they're saying. I live here and so do a few other posters on Arrse and we see it daily. All these posters saying ''ooo the Gurkhas have done their bit etc etc'' are correct in that they have done their bit more than all the other immigrants that are in the Country. This wasn't a trickle of Nepalese coming here, it was a bomb burst of 9000 in approx one year hence the infra-structure buckling....no one saw it coming.
Point in question...pre Lumley our SSAFA office had maybe 4 or 5 Gurkha cases a year...post Lumley approx 200. The funding comes from one Army charity only as they are the 'preferred bidders' so to speak and a lot of people I know locally who do a fair bit for Forces charities are loathe to donate to that charity now as they see where it's going.
Someone somewhere fucked up and not a lot is being done to sort it out.

Oh, and for the record I was in my favourite curry house last night.....Johnny Gurkhas!

I'm not saying it....the local MP and Council are. I just tend to agree (in parts) with some of the stuff they're saying. I live here and so do a few other posters on Arrse and we see it daily. All these posters saying ''ooo the Gurkhas have done their bit etc etc'' are correct in that they have done their bit more than all the other immigrants that are in the Country. This wasn't a trickle of Nepalese coming here, it was a bomb burst of 9000 in approx one year hence the infra-structure buckling....no one saw it coming.
Point in question...pre Lumley our SSAFA office had maybe 4 or 5 Gurkha cases a year...post Lumley approx 200. The funding comes from one Army charity only as they are the 'preferred bidders' so to speak and a lot of people I know locally who do a fair bit for Forces charities are loathe to donate to that charity now as they see where it's going.
Someone somewhere fucked up and not a lot is being done to sort it out.

Oh, and for the record I was in my favourite curry house last night.....Johnny Gurkhas!

Nice. I prefer the The Gurkha Square followed by BEER next door!

retired_taz

War Hero
Yes, based in a tented camp in Bhairawa. At the end of our tour (Op) each of our Squadron were presented with a Kukri at Pokhara.

I would agree with RP578.

Just to add a little something to the pot - Yes I served two years in Nepal at Dharan, Kathmandu and Pokhara - The Nepalese are a nice people but their standard of living is most definately 3rd world, we moan about the lack of dentists, hopsitals and things like the cost of public transport etc - outside two main cities - Nepal doesnt have any infrastructure.
To the average Nepali (NOT Gurkha - a Gurkha is nepalese - but only a smal amount of Nepalis are Gurkha) the UK is the land of milk and Honey and the average Gurkha is revered in his village.
It is not easy for the Gurkha pensioner however, he has to travel for days to get his pension, there are no banks in the hills.

The biggest problem however is the Maoists who have taken over the hills, there is a civil war going on over there, so if you were in the same position as a retiring Gurkha, who has been given the permission to reside in the UK, what would you do, Go back to nepal - live days from any real civilisation in the hills with a civil war raging around you, or take up residence in the UK - its a no brainer.
If you are a ex Gurkha soldier - on pension - given the right to reside in the UK..would you take up that right or.... again no brainer.

Thats the position we are in, it may be better if the government tried to ensure that the people asking for residence were given assistance to find homes outside of the "gurkha enclaves" such as Aldershot as this would spread the numbers around.

The genie is out of the lamp and no amount of rubbing is going to get it back in again - they served this country and the powers that be have given them the right to live here..Personally I like the Nepalese but I can understand the strain that large numbers put on social services.

That'll be Stanhope then,.... Yup,but a vast improvement,and no more tower blocks

And Ashford does have an equal number of (or very close to) of Kosovans/Afghans, not to mention Iraqis/Kurds.

And they're the ******* that make all the trouble,not the ghurkas.

The biggest problem however is the Maoists who have taken over the hills, there is a civil war going on over there, so if you were in the same position as a retiring Gurkha, who has been given the permission to reside in the UK, what would you do, Go back to nepal - live days from any real civilisation in the hills with a civil war raging around you, or take up residence in the UK - its a no brainer.

Didnt the civil war in Nepal end over 4 years ago?

retired_taz

War Hero
Didnt the civil war in Nepal end over 4 years ago?

See Below.
The Maoists announced a ‘People's War’ on February 13, 1996, under the slogan: "Let us march ahead on the path of struggle towards establishing the people's rule by wreaking the reactionary ruling system of state." Maoists strongly believe in the philosophy of Mao Zedong who proclaimed, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Maoists also draw inspiration from the ‘Revolutionary Internationalist Movement’, Peru's left wing guerrilla movement—the Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path), and from radical communist parties in different parts of the world.

The Maoists' aims in the ‘People's War’ are to establish a ‘People's Democracy’ in Nepal. The Maoists view it as an, "historical revolt against feudalism, imperialism and reformists." The catalyst for declaring the ‘People's War’ was the failure of the Nepalese Government to respond to a memorandum presented by its representatives to Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba on February 4, 1996. The memorandum listed 40 demands related to "nationalism, democracy and livelihood". These included the abolition of royal privileges, the promulgation of a new constitution, and the abrogation of the Mahakali treaty with India which regulated the distribution of water and electricity as well as the delineation of the border between the two countries.

You are correct though King Gyanendra surrendered in 2005 but now they have separate factions from the original Communist Party of Nepal . I believe from my contacts in Nepal that there is still a great deal of "warfare" going on in the hill towns and villages dependant on which Jhat is involved.

I realise that you're at the sharp end on this but I have to say that some did see it coming, a lot of people did, including the much-reviled government.

But anyone who dared voice an alternative viewpoint was immediately shouted down by the fanatics.
Remember the:
"There will be no more than 5000 coming" (BGWS claimed to Howarth, "That it might be 2000")

"The Gurkhas will keep their youth in check"

"Gurkhas would never cost the state anything"

"They will never rip off other Gurkhas (GAESO anyone?)

"They will be too proud to ask for charity"

Nothing wrong in asking for charity of course, it was the blatant denial of such a possibility.

Joanna has a lot to answer for but so do many others who now are quite quiet about their part in the situation that's come about.

Of course that doesn't help the present situation, what's done is done.

But that's no reason why the situation should worsen. It's my understanding, like yours, is that a good number of those entering are not genunine ex-Gurkhas. That would certainly be an area to tighten up on.

You are Nick Griffin and I claim my £5. I know generalised statements about non-scientific issues isn't your strongest suit Higgsy but can I respectfully suggest you re-read that and think what it sounds like - objectively and subjectively?

Or were you perhaps being ironic. No? I didn't think so.

Nah... Griffin wants em all out... Colour and race mean nothing to me. It's all about integrating into and contributing towards our society. Muslims are apparently failing to do either big time... Islamic ideology is the problem. Perhaps you are unaware of what is happening around you...?

[video=youtube;lT0_NyXdIoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT0_NyXdIoo[/video]

The lumley slag was only the catalyst. It was the govt backed court that agreed it. Not that they evr suffered from balanced thinking.
what the feck are you drinking you tube?

The Gurkhas are a good bunch of soldiers...no trouble at all. Compliant to our culture and they actually did something for this country. The three million plus muslims that reside here and seek to take over our way of life then to kill us all having done nothing but live on benifits are the ones to complain about....surely? Anyone driven through Bradford recently?...sheesh!

Lordy how on earth did you manage to excite your two brain cells enough to be able to string that load of bollocks together?

I mean, would you be saying the same thing about crowding out the NHS clinics, schools, etc, if these folks were English/Scots/Welch from elsewhere in the UK ? !

You arent reading what the man is saying, and I guess with the example that you have given then he would be saying the same thing, suppose for example 9000 jocks suddenly in the space of one year descended on your town and took up a lot of resources, strained the NHS and local Education, not because they were jocks, but because there was suddenly 9000 of them! Although I daresay with both the Ghurkas and the Jockanese there would be langauge problems and social differences to add to the mess as well!

If prior to the influx of whatever race of peoples the local authority was given the resources to enlarge certain facilities, then it wouldnt be such a problem would it... I guess in the case of the Jockanese all you need to do is ensure that the chippies learn how to deep fry mars bars and the offies stock plentiful supplies of Buckfast ...joke joke... I am not anti Jock, I loved them before it was compulsory!

as an aside J-D do the Ghurkali immigrants qualify for free housing? or do they come across and shack up with relatives already here?

Nah... Griffin wants em all out... Colour and race mean nothing to me. It's all about integrating into and contributing towards our society. Muslims are apparently failing to do either big time... Islamic ideology is the problem. Perhaps you are unaware of what is happening around you...?

Of course that will be it. I've been so blind...

Well colour and race may mean nothing to you but those for whom it means everything would see your comment as encouragement and possibly even support. you may well have not meant it in that manner but by the time you shout "Hey that's not..." they'll be halfway down the internet pointing it out to folk as further evidence of support for them and their agenda.

Yes it is all about integration and sometimes it isn't about "us" squidging up on the metaphorical sofa to make room for "them" and their cultural and social patterns. However sometimes it is about ignoring the violent or vocal minority and avoiding the tarring of the whole by virtue of the sins of the few. Those who hate different are helped in their cause by those people who act reasonably but use the same verbal formats - intellectually laziness in many cases - and so appear to be siding with a caucus of antis, rather than siding with a group bent on solutions - without total compromise or "surrendering" the cultural norms and modes which we call British - or English if you prefer - society.

Edited to remove that preposterous piece of chest-beating from a cut-price ayatollah who lies awake at night beating his meat to dreams of personal jihad and martyrdom then bravely sends the autistic, ESN and what's that word "deluded" to the homeland to do his bidding.

Sapper145

War Hero

Hate to disappoint you, but after working alongside the feckers for quite a while, I would seriously dispute that claim. There are some who are good soldiers, but they are an unfortunate minority and disappear among the indolent, insolent and idle. Whilst I agree that if you serve your time in the British Army, then you should have the right to settle. The implementation of the same TACOS courtesy of St Jo of Pokhara and the Bde's PR machine has not resulted in a equivalent standard equal to a line county Inf Bn, nor in an equivalent working ethos. They are still stuck in the Raj as an anachronism to past generations, and fall far short of being "Good".
Mind you, thats just my opinion........

Latest Threads