Aldershot..'Overwhelmed by Nepalese'

Have you ever been to Nepal?

Nope but the Gurkhas I speak to are quite keen to go back when they've retired and are puzzled as to why a bloke in his 60's/70's and even 80's would want to come over here. We could go into all the GAESO stuff but that's been done to death on here.

When they first arrive they have to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain whilst their Visas are being sorted etc and they can't claim benefits etc until this is sorted, apparently this can be done for them at the Embassy in Kathmandu but most of them don't bother and come straight over, land at Heathrow, say 'Aldershot' to a cabbie and promptly get ripped off. I'm sure there are more on here who know more about the legalities and criteria than me.

Same with the Chinese only they end up in Harrow

bloodgroup_o+

Old-Salt
Can we have a few thousand in Glasgow please, preferably to spark a violent race war against the Albanians and Somalians who have shacked up with daft fat wee tarts us natives rejected so that they can launch their skag/arms business closer to the market.

Troy

LE
So Aldershot is overwhelmed with Nepalese, oh dear.

Close to here (in South Essex) is a very large gypsy camp just waiting for eviction day.

The overwhelming majority of locals would happily swap your Nepalese for the gypsys, travellers, pikeys, call them what you will.

Nope but the Gurkhas I speak to are quite keen to go back when they've retired and are puzzled as to why a bloke in his 60's/70's and even 80's would want to come over here. We could go into all the GAESO stuff but that's been done to death on here.

It's possible that they are being 'diplomatic', last time I saw any figures on this, the great majority of Gurkhas were opting to settle in UK after leaving the army
Likewise with the aged Gurkhas, is it not surprising why a society with the extended family tradition would wish to up-root their revered elders and encourage them to go off to a foreign country?

They may not wish to explain this outside their own community but the answer is fairly self-evident. There is a great outflow of people from Nepal. Whether it's going to be Portland Oregon, London UK, or elsewhere is not really of great importance. What is important is to have an 'edge' in being able to settle in any country and in the case of the Gurkhas that edge is to have an elderly member of the family who has served in the British Army.

How many aged Gurkhas do you come across who dream of their children joining them in UK? Quite a good number I expect.
No matter if their children are in their 30's and 40's with families of their own. Not hard to see where the motivation is coming from.

Well done on the good work you are doing J-D. And for telling it like it is.

Well the gurkhas I've met have been nice coves but they need to do something about this and be fleet about it!

Close to here (in South Essex) is a very large gypsy camp just waiting for eviction day.

The overwhelming majority of locals would happily swap your Nepalese for the gypsys, travellers, pikeys, call them what you will.

Is that the largest pikie site in Europe by any chance, the same site which even civpol are nervous of visiting in less than 50 ?

IIRC eviction has been threatened on that site for years & nothing materialised..

Cor! Having seen that Gypsy wedding thing you must have loads of naked women running around being grabbed!
Seriously though....every area has it's own issues with whoever and Howarth is only highlighting Aldershots.

Yes, loved the place, it's beautiful outside of Kathmandu. There is (as in the rest of the subcontinent) terrible poverty, however, I thought Gurkha pensions made them rich? The pensions certainly wouldn't go very far here.

What's the chances that over the next year or so, word will get back to Nepal that GB isn't a land of milk and honey where the streets are diamond crusted, and that it's not as great as believed, so the numbers will start to drop off?

Is that the largest pikie site in Europe by any chance, the same site which even civpol are nervous of visiting in less than 50 ?

IIRC eviction has been threatened on that site for years & nothing materialised..

several hundred armed police with a coupe of thousand public order police was what i was told would be needed (possibly planned for)

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer

Yes, I have. Both as a posting to BGN and for a private visit. Believe me, currency exchange means that their pensions go a lot further in Nepal than they do in the UK, even with the other welfare benefits.

As J_D points out, Gurkha benefits have become an industry in Nepal and line the pockets of outfits the likes of GAESO who will happily push OAPs to apply for a visa and in the bargain charge them a consulting fee which the free service offered by HMG makes utterly unnecessary. The stories are legion and pitiful.

It's the same in Shorncliffe mucker. Joanna Lumley doesn't know what she's done! I'm all for the tree frogs residing here after serving but they've brought their grandparents, great grandparents, goats and chickens over with them. They're ******* everywhere. Still prefer them to pakis and eastern europeans though.

The lumley slag was only the catalyst. It was the govt backed court that agreed it. Not that they evr suffered from balanced thinking.

It's the same in Shorncliffe mucker. Joanna Lumley doesn't know what she's done! I'm all for the tree frogs residing here after serving but they've brought their grandparents, great grandparents, goats and chickens over with them. They're ******* everywhere. Still prefer them to pakis and eastern europeans though.
As I remember it, Aldershot shrugged when the Paras left, while Church Crookham turned out to a man to appalud the Gherkins, after similar periods of close acquaintance.

Prob'ly just as well its not the blanket-swathed relatives of one-time Paras who are haunting the streets of the 'Shot these days . . .

. . . and as for the notion that Nepalese kids in Aldershot are acting like Jet Li - it must be something in the water: the 'Shot was a wild west boomtown from day one - go visit the museum there FFS!! As long as when the li'l Gherkins are drunk and battering innocent civvies, they aren't wearing dessies, Levis, maroon T-shirts and bomber jackets, they aren't in breach of the Para Reg brand copyright . . . :wink:

What's the chances that over the next year or so, word will get back to Nepal that GB isn't a land of milk and honey where the streets are diamond crusted, and that it's not as great as believed, so the numbers will start to drop off?
O doo far korrf: bad as you may think it, this is a Land Of Milk And Honey compared to 80% of the world, with entrance qualifications lower and access to freebie welfare easier than any other country in the EU.

"Down" is the last direction them figures are heading any time soon.

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
Article in the Aldershot News today by local MP Gerald Howarth:

Towns 'overwhelmed' by Nepalese, MP claims - News - gethampshire...
Plus, all their kids think they're living in a Jet Li film and have scraps et every opportunity...mullets flying everywhere!

Same here in HK - a lot of ex-Gurkhas settled here, but their kids end up getting pissed in the street on cheap beer from 7-11 and then kicking off.

(Although that probably isn't that different from a lot of Western kids).