Aldershot on a Wednesday Night

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by napier, Feb 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I'm going to be in the Aldershot area this Wed night. I was based there back in the late 90s, but not been for ages. Where can I go for a decent pint without being twatted by zimmer weilding ex-airborne types?

2. Surrey.

• Like Like x 1
  3. napier

True, but I have a bizarre compulsion to stumble the hallowed streets of my (almost) youth.

4. Aldershot is pretty dull, the usual places to go if you want to see lots of squaddies acting like throbbers are Yates', the place that used to be The Goose opposite AMs or the Queen Victoria.

There's Tiffanys if you want warm beer and ropey strippers, The Traff is actually pretty decent for a drink but is generally pretty quiet on weekdays.

Depending how far you're willing to travel the North Camp in North Camp is ok as is Sidewalks Bar and Diner which is also in North Camp. Going even further away the Old Ford near North Camp Train station is ok and I've heard good things about The Swan in Ash Vale, though I've never drank there myself.

5. Do not go to Yatessss', I implore you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Swan is a cracking boozer and also used to serve very good food.

• Like Like x 4
  7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  8. It must be good, people keep telling me it's OOB.

9. I'd rather go the extra effort & visit Fleet,

Besides, the fact I was in the Aldershot area during Airbourne weekend gave another good reason to try elsewhere.

10. napier

So things haven't changed much in 15 years then?

11. I remember in the early 80's when I was a Guards Depot Instructor at Pirbright casually walking into a pub in Aldershot that was full of parachute silk, barrathea wearing skin heads, in jeans and dessie boots. Bearing in mind I was in a suit and wearing my Guards Division tie I'm surprised I didn't get a battering but someone had obviously fed them before I walked in. The thing is, I could have sworn the pub was called 'The Globe', but I can't find any trace of it now.

12. The Globe is a theatre.In London.Perhaps your train from Brookwood was going the wrong way.Second thoughts,the right way.

13. Potters Bar (?) near Keogh is good if impressionable young medics are your thing, allegedly.

14. napier

Sadly, I don't think 40-something blokes are their thing