Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Heartbreaklane, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any of you have a problem with it?

I think I do. It's 13 years since I left, but I worked with ex-military for a further 7 or 8 years after that in various interesting places.

Now it seems like one is too many, and one hundred ain't enough.

I saw drinking as part of service life, but now it is my life, even though I am still fit and knocking out 3 or 4 6 milers a week.

It seems I can't get by without at least a bootle of red or half a dozen beers under my belt. And however much I drink, the dreams still come of the years gone by.

Sorry, don't mean to get heavy like. More wine it is. :oops:
  2. It must be a sod, living 6 miles from the pub. Have you considered moving house?
  3. The bottle cost me heavy in years gone by; at least one civvy job (which was sh1te anyway) and a couple of promotions whilst serving.
    Consider the fact that you may be exhibiting signs of PTSD, rather than just 'having a booze issue', the spectator see's more of the game.
    If you are aware that you may have a problem then you have already made greater progress than many before you.
    Best of luck.
  4. :D

That's made me laugh aye.

Was at the boozer tonight, not that you'd have guessed, and speed marched back. 8O
  5. only problem we have with alcohol is we cant get enough of it
    have you tried climbing a six foot fence when you are pissed because you cant find your way home it is fcuking hard work .
  6. I could already kick myself at what it's cost me, you may be right. I need to sort myself. Just now seems I can't go a day without. I do a good run, a days work etc., then HAVE to down a few cans, or a bottle of wine. I tried seeing a psych but it was a waste. Anyway, don't want to post shit and troubles on here, just want to not have to rely on the booze.
  7. I'm on my fourth dry week now because it was starting to get the better of me...I'll definitely drink again but I just felt that it was going a bit too far, much worse than I'd ever been before so I decided I'd best knock it on the head for a bit.

I reckon if you think you may have a problem then you probably have, so it's best to nip it in the bud while you still can..IMHO
  8. Heartbreaklane, try getting in touch with Combat Stress, civvy psychs are worse than useless when confronted by service related PTSD cases.
  9. Mate. your right. Just wish I had the inner strength to not drink, which is crazy if I can run 5 or 6 miles hills every day. But I know I need to do it. I'd hate to never be able to drink again like.
  10. ..saved you walking... :D

Been there..luckily walked out the otherside. All the best to you guy.
  11. If you're being honest about it being A bottle of red OR half a dozen beers, then I don't think you're a lost case yet, particularly if you still retain the willpower to keep it AFTER work. It sounds more habit than addiction. If so, pick a day to do without (after all, it's just ONE day).

Get used to that, then pick another day to go without. It's just changing your established routine.

If, on the other hand, you're understating the amount you drink, and when, then you may need support. Whoever supports you, you still need to provide your own willpower. Others can only suggest and guide, you are the one who determines your future.

Either way, the question is "Are you willing to help yourself?"
  12. I found that the hardest part of dealing with my problem was admitting I had a problem. You know you have a problem so deal with it. Contact Combat Stress if you don't want the civi option here is the link
  13. Scale down the amount you have each night to start with.
  14. Could be it's just a habit that needs breaking, as opposed to a dependency. What do you do at night, apart from going down the pub, got any other interests that could break up your routine at night?

15. Hats off to you for coming out with that. Not sure where the line twixt habit and dependancy is drawn. Looking at the AA website, I qualify to be a member. :oops: