Alcohol Testing

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by barbs, Nov 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been led to believe that there has been a trial at the Defence School of Transport regarding alcohol testing. Anyone come across how this is working?

In my opinion testing prior to safety essential duty is a valuable tool to ensure that people take personal responsibility for their drinking habits.

Any views?
  2. I was told by a mate on acourse there that everyone get b-tested every day-sounds reasonable to me
  3. We routinely Breath test at my place with industry hand helds. Usual combat indicator is smell/behaviour the Breath tester usually comfirms it.

They are also in our Gd Rm for periods such as Christmas, 1 to prevent drink driving and 2 to help people gauge wheterh they are over the limit and so not risk driving.
  4. Disco,

Do you take any disciplinary action against someone who comes to work unfit to drive (therefore, i would expect unfit for work)? Or is the knowledge that a breath test might be carried out enough to keep people sensible mid week?

5. Open yourself to a lot of hassle. Imagine you test someone who you think may have been drinking. The machine is eithe not calibrated properly or not used correctly and you give them the all clear to leave in their car. Two minutes down the road, Plod stops them and uses a correctly calibrated and corectly used machine and finds them over.

You said they were okay to drive and they've been caught. You are open for them take you to court as you said it was okay for them to drive.

Unless the people using the machines are correctly trained and the machines correctly calibrated you could be getting yourselves into trouble by trying to keep people out of trouble.
  6. Disciplinery action is taken and before you go on about calibration we are talking about AGAI action so we dont really need a blood sample and 100% certifiable proof! Again I said it is used if the initial warning signs are there, smell,behavior, morning after a major function etc. 99% of the lads when tested admit to drinking, they thought they could get away with it or would be ok. Oh and this is where driving is essential to the duty and is not a case of random testing within the Sqn.

It used as a tool and with common sense!
  7. Disco,

Thank you. I think it is essential that administrative sanctions are used, I don't think disciplinary action per se (-i.e., charging someone) will hold much water.

Does anyone know if the RMP come and conduct alcohol testing after incidents other than just driving related offences?
  8. The legislation that covers the use of our instruments for breath testing are given in the Road traffic act. I cant see it holding up if they are used to test someone who is over the limit at work. The Breath box used on the roadside test for example may produce a 'Red Fail'. However, when the person is tested at the station they may well be under the legal limit. Who? and on what legal authourity could a manager decide using a breath box that you are over the limit, as it only gives a guide. I agree that if you turn up smelling of booze and appearing worse for wear, you take what punishment is deemed neccessary. But i don't think that a breath box will tell you anything you don't know already. And if the person(s) job involves driving, then order the said individual not to drive.
  9. last time i was at a place it had it it was just the trace of drink on you the meters tested needless to say mouthwash etc can set them off dont know if they have changed them
  10. Ref: Army Briefing Note 04-06 dated 3 Feb 06:

11. Reference the PIDAT mentioned above. There is also a DIN covering this that was published in Dec. Can see it being used following range accidents etc.

Just as an aside, a large number of civilian companies are introducing alcohol and drugs testing in to their establishments. The majority write this requirement in to the employees contract and HR follows a set policy if someone fails. This may not necessarily result in discipline matter, but possibly lead to referral to a rehab programmes for personnel who admit to a problem.