Alcohol protects mens hearts

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Dirtyfilthymech, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been telling her for years

2. Sounds good to me! I'll drink to that!
  3. In that case my pericardium is like the Berlin Wall. 8)
  4. The way to a man's heart is through twelve pints, four brandies, half a bottle of port, a tequila slammer, three baby Guinnesses and a slippery nipple (take that how you will) and a can of Polish lager that everyone denies doesn't take millions in research funding to find that out, they could have asked my wife.
  5. Alcohol has contributed significantly to the damage my heart has sustained.

Did I say 'heart'? Sorry, I meant 'penis'.
  6. Fukcin hell, I'll live forever :D
  7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Who were the research subjects? Anyway, very heartening report.
  8. I'll drink to that :twisted:
  9. "In the UK, the recommendation is no more than two to three units of alcohol a day for women - the equivalent of one standard glass of wine - and three to four units for men.

Professor Alan Maryon-Davis, president of the UK Faculty of Public Health, agreed that the message from this study was not clear: "At the end of the day, you're juggling different risks and benefits, maybe helping your heart or maybe damaging your brain and liver.
    "The simple message is moderation.

"Stick to the guidelines, and you won't go far wrong." "

I don't recall anything about an increased level of liver or brain problems amongst the Spanish.

Typical reaction from this country. When Scottish brewers Brewdog made "Tokio" @ 18.2% they were accused of being irresponsible, so when they countered with a beer of 1.1% which they called "Nanny State" they were accused that the name showed a "lack of appreciation of the problem "

FFS you just can't win.
  10. I,ve been saying this for the past 54 years FFS!. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  11. The big reward is one beer every other day - 35% reduction. Six beers every day nearly halfs your heart attack risk, but you incur a load of other risks.

It would be interesting to try to disaggregate the results. Getting pissed forces you to stop worrying. So it might not be the alcohol as such, but rather chilling the f*ck out and taking a break from yourself, which has the big impact. Maybe people who are chilled anyway don't get the benefit. (Do tranquilisers lower heart attack risk? Interesting question).
  12. I am heartned by this news and will double my daily intake of John Smith's so as not to miss out on the benefits of a healthy heart.
  13. George Best never once suffered from a heart problem.
    (Women excluded)
    Kinda backs this research up as well, don't you think :?: 8)
  14. I hope all that is just a before lunch tipple cuddles :D

after lunch I seriously hope a real session entails
  15. lol