Alcohol minimum pricing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taffnp, Mar 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will it really make a difference ?

The proposed price is 40p per unit. A quick look on the interweb and some quick maths shows that this is already around the price we pay.

Just a quick look here
    Search (Lager) - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Not going to work warn Doctors
    Alcohol minimum cost not high enough to deter drinkers warn doctors | Mail Online

Sales of home brew kits soar
    Cash strapped beer lovers spark home brewing revival - Mirror Online

I do not foresee any reduction of the binge drinking/lying in the street culture. If anything it will get worse as people now begin to produce their own cheaper alcohol.

They need to punish those in a drunken state who are drunk and disorderly rather than punish everyone. Like drastically increasing the price of fuel to reduce speeding.

2. The serious street drinkers will steal it, then the govt is going to limit methadone treatment too so we'll have a soaring crime rate.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Do you think the gov't gives a shit? It has always been another excuse to squeeze more money. Simple. End of.

• Like Like x 6
  4. They need to grip those who abuse the system but hey ho. Why not penalise everybody the same. Thing is, I'm rather fussy about what I drink. I wouldn't touch beer that cheap because it's usually crap.

Pubs and by that, I really mean the brewery managed ones need to learn a lesson about market economics as well. They are clamouring for other sources of beer to be subject to minimum pricing to close the gap when really, if they reduced their prices, they wouldn't be losing so much trade to other competition.

Good old rip off Britain eh!

• Like Like x 1
  5. I drink maybe 4 pints of Magners on a Friday night in my mates house or about 5 or 6 glasses of Morgans rum and lemonade.... If I lived in England or Wales I would be penalized, simply because the minority can't handle their drink...

Were the fucks the justice in this country. The UK not just bankrupt, but morally ****ing bankrupt too!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Absolute bollocks. The exchequer wouldn't get any money from this (if you disregard the very small amount of VAT, which would be more than offset by the cost of the scheme) as it's not a tax. The people who stand to make a profit are the retailers, but they are discounting the prices anyway (ie, charging less than it costs them), so they will either trouser the cash, or circumvent the law by offering free pork scratchings with every bottle of Diamond White.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't understand the argument. People with money will just pay more, and addicts will simply steal to fund their habit or switch from special brew to bootleg stuff.

I'd be very surprised if this stops anyone from drinking, and unsurprised if it makes the problem worse.

8. Pricing doesn't work. Ask any junkie or smoker. Fags have gone up again but people will still buy them. Look at WHO is drunk in the streets and towns on a w/e usually under 25's. Minimum pricing just gets more money in for the Treasury. What they should do is enforce the law, minimum 3 months for D & D (drunk and disorderly not drink and drive) hammer the parents of the under 18's, and double the cost of alcopops. In the new measure tax guess what? Alcopops would still cost the same and this is what the kids go for as the spirits don't bite or taste nasty. In Australia last year they doubled the cost of alcopops in Sidney and the drunks reduced among the young by over 30%. Then again that would be classed as targetting by the equalities lot so won't happen. Most common sense solutions never do in this country. Must buy some more booze before it goes up - it doesn't go off you know!

• Like Like x 2
  9. And others will brew their own.

10. Booze can go off, or lose some flavour I am told

Doing it with a finger or two,eyes scrunched a bit near the screen, trying to make sure I don't make a mess or mistake in the process.

11. youre getting penalised anyway

BBC News - Minimum alcohol price by 2013, says Edwin Poots

12. Not really fussed to be truthful. I drink the finer choices of alcoholic beverages.

13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I can see nothing but good coming out of this. The white lightning, bucky and blue bag brigade will see the error of their ways and switch to real ale, cheeky little wines and bags for life.
    Wkd drinkers will be shunned and we can all sit out on pavements under umbrellas during heatwaves discussing Proust, world affairs and which mental midget thought of bringing in another ******** tax on alcohol.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Oh good. I love it when the government infantilises the population!

Which is exactly how the precedence gets entrenched that the government can interfere in the private affairs of citizens just so long as they justify it in puritanical terms.

First they came for the smokers, even in their private clubs where all consented to inhale smoke - but I said nothing for I was not a smoker. Then they came for the hobos drinkie-poohs - but I said nothing for I was not a smelly hobo. This time next year you will be needing a chit from the council to buy a fatening takeaway.

What time does the next boat to the New World leave?

• Like Like x 3