Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albums In A Class Of Their Own..

Poppy

LE
Apologies for joining late and coming in swinging gents, a few thoughts:

I doubt there’ll ever be consensus on what constitutes ‘classic’, but I’m sure most of us would agree it goes beyond being well known and popular.
I don’t think the Classic Albums series is any guide. After all, they are the ones they can get the rights to, and my first point also applies.
For me there has to be an element of ‘game changer’ about it. So I would include:

Are You Experienced? Guitar was never the same again.
Van Halen. Guitar was never the same again.
DSOTM. Set the new bar for production and sound quality.
Sgt Pepper’s. Re-wrote pretty much the whole rule book.

None of them would make my favourite Top 10, but that’s a different issue.

I thought "Classic" means an album which stands the test of time, ie we are still listening to many years after release

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I rather like Caravan too, ‘In the Land of Grey and Pink’.

Child of the 60s/70s = too much British prog rock I’m afraid....

Carbon 6

War Hero
I rather like Caravan too, ‘In the Land of Grey and Pink’.

Child of the 60s/70s = too much British prog rock I’m afraid....

IMG_1647.JPG

This was always my favourite Caravan album.

And....anything by SAHB.

Yes, definitely SAHB.

I haven't read every page, but all the classics appear to be there.

I'll add a couple that probably have been missed.:

Boston - Boston
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
King Crimson - ITCOTCK
Bowie - Blackstar
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Chef

LE
Black Rose a rock legend - Thin Lizzy.
(Phil Lynott's songwriting, plus Gary Moore on guitar.)

Eliminator-ZZTop

As a bit of a Lizzy fan it always pleased me that this consistently came top of the live albums polls

Live And Dangerous (Vinyl, LP, Album) album cover

As an aside Frankie Miller duetted with Lynott on 'Still in love with you' off 'Nightlife' which one reviewer of Frankie Miller reckoned was his best vocal.

Carbon 6

War Hero
IMG_1648.JPG

This is one of my favourites. There's not a bad track on it and if you watch some of the Muscle Shoals YouTube videos about Bob Seger, he's considered by the session musicians to be a great fella too. The recording deals were done on a handshake and honoured for decades, which is unheard of in the music industry.
Listen to Hollywood Nights loud enough to not totally destroy your eardrums. Marvellous.

Nirvana Nevermind stands out for me. Marked a change in my tastes and perhaps a whole new future.

Since the start of streaming I probably have never listened to a full album again.

Alamo

LE
Nirvana Nevermind stands out for me. Marked a change in my tastes and perhaps a whole new future.

Since the start of streaming I probably have never listened to a full album again.
I remember hearing Teen Spirit on R1 and thinking ‘that’s shifted the goalposts’. They were nothing new, and Nevermind was nothing new for them, but it’s widespread exposure certainly brought grunge/stoner into the mainstream.

Love this track!
Not bad. Never heard of them before.

Reminds me a little bit of an Album called Songwriter from Justin Hayward.

Listen to it a few times and you will definitely like it.

Screenshot_20201022-104213_Chrome.jpg

Love this track!
Not bad. Never heard of them before.

Reminds me a little bit of an Album called Songwriter from Justin Hayward.

Listen to it a few times and you will definitely like it.

Screenshot_20201022-104213_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 513981

This is one of my favourites. There's not a bad track on it and if you watch some of the Muscle Shoals YouTube videos about Bob Seger, he's considered by the session musicians to be a great fella too. The recording deals were done on a handshake and honoured for decades, which is unheard of in the music industry.
Listen to Hollywood Nights loud enough to not totally destroy your eardrums. Marvellous.
My favourite Bob Seger track is Roll Me Away. About a bike ride across the USA. Brilliant road trip music

Latest Threads