Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albums In A Class Of Their Own..

Black Rose a rock legend - Thin Lizzy.
(Phil Lynott's songwriting, plus Gary Moore on guitar.)

Eliminator-ZZTop

Hell yes. I was in training in 87 when this came out and could tell Fish was struggling, and he did label 'That Time Of The Night' as his resignation statement from Marillion.
12 years later I'm sat in Bosnia, in the snow, at my 11 year point (I was in brats) and listening to the same track.
When he sang...

'So if you ask me how do I feel inside, I could honestly tell you
We've been taken on a very long ride
And if my owners let me have some free time some day
With all good intention I would probably run away
Clutching the short straw'

...I knew it was time I called it a day, and signed off on our return to the UK. Then was sent straight out to Kosovo and on our return we had a Sqn parade to be told that we had accrued so much leave due to tours they couldn't give it to us, so we had to be happy with two weeks at Christmas and the third and forth lines of that song rang in my head.
Marillion are still my favorite band and are still going strong. Truly the soundtrack to my life, from early teens to middle age from one of the music industry's best kept secrets, Managed to catch them on their 'With Friends From The Orchestra' tour last year as I'd missed the Albert Hall gig which they sold out in about 3 mins IIRC.

**Still a fan of Fish and his solo work!
Just had a listen...First time I have ever listened to a song from Marillion. Hmmm not bad, got a touch of Phil Collins and Genesis in there.

But WTF was he thinking of with that green parkha outfit.....

pc flaps

Old-Salt
I saw him on his last tour in Salisbury, which was supposed to be his Farewell Tour. 2017 I reckon, when he was featuring Misplaced Childhood in the 2nd half of the show - the first half was tracks from his solo stuff. His band was fabulous, but it pains me to say his voice had gone. He also regularly went into Political rant mode, which was turgid and not what the fans had paid to hear. Cue much heckling such as “leave that shit to Bono and get on with the music”!
I reckon his voice won’t have got better in the intervening years, so I’ll be giving it a miss.
Marillion on the other hand, remain brilliant, especially their fantastic lead guitar player, Steve Rothery.

Shame but you're right, he's not been great for a few years. Singers just can't escape the ravages of time. Some get lucky, like Robert Plant who had such an amazing range he could afford to lose half of it and still sound good.

Some try to keep going but are just embarassing like Brian Wilson. Ironically the best off are those that couldn't sing in the first place but are still great frontmen such as Jagger

In_Twists

Old-Salt
I think it would be The Stone Roses' first album (1989)
At the time I refused to listen to such 'pop' music but over the last few years, I realise I missed out massively.
Although the younger me probably wouldnt have appreciated the music or lyrics....

Hell yes. I was in training in 87 when this came out and could tell Fish was struggling, and he did label 'That Time Of The Night' as his resignation statement from Marillion.
12 years later I'm sat in Bosnia, in the snow, at my 11 year point (I was in brats) and listening to the same track.
When he sang...

'So if you ask me how do I feel inside, I could honestly tell you
We've been taken on a very long ride
And if my owners let me have some free time some day
With all good intention I would probably run away
Clutching the short straw'

...I knew it was time I called it a day, and signed off on our return to the UK. Then was sent straight out to Kosovo and on our return we had a Sqn parade to be told that we had accrued so much leave due to tours they couldn't give it to us, so we had to be happy with two weeks at Christmas and the third and forth lines of that song rang in my head.
Marillion are still my favorite band and are still going strong. Truly the soundtrack to my life, from early teens to middle age from one of the music industry's best kept secrets, Managed to catch them on their 'With Friends From The Orchestra' tour last year as I'd missed the Albert Hall gig which they sold out in about 3 mins IIRC.

**Still a fan of Fish and his solo work!
Maybe you can confirm a story I heard many hears ago, the band started out as "Silmarillion", lost a member and took the first syllable off the name, with the intent that if they ever lost any more members they would continue that trend. Obviously as they are still called "Marillion" that would appear to be incorrect, but have you heard that story?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Maybe you can confirm a story I heard many hears ago, the band started out as "Silmarillion", lost a member and took the first syllable off the name, with the intent that if they ever lost any more members they would continue that trend. Obviously as they are still called "Marillion" that would appear to be incorrect, but have you heard that story?
It was to do with The Silmarillion but never heard that version before. I think it was the more prosaic copyright reasons.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
On original names: Madness* were originally The Invaders but hit issues because there was already a band of that name. So, they took Madness from their cover of the Prince Buster track.

*Contemporaries of The Coventry Automatics.

Teg61

Old-Salt
No particular order, and I’m sure that I’ll change my mind if I happen to hear a track I haven’t heard in a while.
588CE454-2C04-495A-A830-0D9410406DC8.png
FCB2EE61-EA4D-49A2-B432-F9F6D6AF9B97.jpeg
04B5C4C1-8321-4209-A4E9-B7E21FBDAA6E.jpeg
CAB47C75-0A0A-4226-8264-09F62852AB5B.jpeg
FA3F2D07-C0FA-4230-9FC8-8A087E5B7182.jpeg

Alamo

LE
Masters of the Universe by Hawkwind.

I remembered Silver Machine on Top of the Pops ( Stacia dances!) as a 10 year old.

Fast forward 4 years and reading the album review in the Shields Gazette round at my grans-never looked back.
Ain’t an album in its own right, it’s a compilation. And SM is Status Quo with synthesisers.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Anything by Gerry Rafferty - an extraordinary, flawed talent.

ETA: anything by Dr Feelgood.

Last edited:

Alamo

LE
Apologies for joining late and coming in swinging gents, a few thoughts:

I doubt there’ll ever be consensus on what constitutes ‘classic’, but I’m sure most of us would agree it goes beyond being well known and popular.
I don’t think the Classic Albums series is any guide. After all, they are the ones they can get the rights to, and my first point also applies.
For me there has to be an element of ‘game changer’ about it. So I would include:

Are You Experienced? Guitar was never the same again.
Van Halen. Guitar was never the same again.
DSOTM. Set the new bar for production and sound quality.
Sgt Pepper’s. Re-wrote pretty much the whole rule book.

None of them would make my favourite Top 10, but that’s a different issue.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
And....anything by SAHB.

'Family' with Roger Chapman's extraordinary voice, used to get the teenies dancing in the aisles at the Usher Hall. I saw this more recent (only 18 year old) recording just now:

Chapman's voice has faded a bit, mind.. Compare with 1970:

Latest Threads