Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albums In A Class Of Their Own..

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
hmmm...

The Sundays, 'Reading, Writing and Arithmetic'
Bowie, 'Heroes' and 'Low'
Depeche Mode, 'Violator'
Lamb, 'Backspace Unwind'
Orbital. 'The Middle Of Nowhere'
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions, 'Bavarian Fruit Bread'
My Bloody Valentine, 'Loveless'
Sufjan Stevens, 'Illinois'
The Blue Nile, 'A Walk Across The Rooftops'

but I'm sure I could think of more.

hmmm...

The Sundays, 'Reading, Writing and Arithmetic'
Bowie, 'Heroes' and 'Low'
Depeche Mode, 'Violator'
Lamb, 'Backspace Unwind'
Orbital. 'The Middle Of Nowhere'
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions, 'Bavarian Fruit Bread'
My Bloody Valentine, 'Loveless'
Sufjan Stevens, 'Illinois'
The Blue Nile, 'A Walk Across The Rooftops'

but I'm sure I could think of more.
I'm sure you could Sir, but the intention was to identify just one Album that you would choose from all your favourites to put in a Class Of Its Own.

So can you pick one out from all the shite you have listed above...:razz::razz:

Dark Side is high on the list for me as are the following three Floyd Albums.

One disappointment with this mini-list though is the technical quality of Animals. It is no better than a pre-recorded cassette sounding flat, dull, lacking depth and so on (Mason sounds like he is drumming about half a mile away from the rest of the band). Wright's keyboards all to often seem to tinkle along in the background and Gilmore/Waters instruments seem to lack bite and presence. I've tried a few different formats and they have all been the same.

This failing is of course not just limited to Animals, and it is so disappointing where I hear a masterpiece so ruined as I know we will never get to hear what should have really been.

Thanks to the thread starter I'm sitting listening to Camel who I was not aware of before, it's growing on me.

Pink Floyd have a wonderful selection, even after RW left them so I'll have a hard time choosing....
Meatloaf Bat our of hell seemed to be issued to everyone who joined the mob when I did so that will make the list.
Supertramp Breakfast in America always gets me singing along so that is on the list.
Looking through the pages I only saw one vote for Rush and nothing for 2112, even if the B side was pretty crap the title tune covered some wonderful rhythms and tempos in one long blast of sound so that makes the list.
Emerson Lake and Palmer almost fitted into the same grouping as Pink Floyd as the "yes but which album?" but if I had to I'd vote for Brain Salad Surgery
At that point I run out of steam on specific albums as I start to cherry pick songs, so I'll just give honourable mentions to Jethro Tull, Yes, ELO and Ultravox.

for me the definitive one-of-a-kind album was 'Clutching at Straws' by Marillion. it was their last album with Fish as vocalist. it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what it was about it, but i think it had 'finality' written all the way through it.

also it came out just as my bn started a tour in w/Belfast and i listened to it every night before falling asleep and it left an indelible mark on me. i think it's the album where they actually completely embraced the 'concept album' idea. their other albums all had good tracks on them, but this (to me) felt like all the tracks totally joined up ('Misplaced Childhood' was their other foray into complete concept album)

View attachment 478942
Hell yes. I was in training in 87 when this came out and could tell Fish was struggling, and he did label 'That Time Of The Night' as his resignation statement from Marillion.
12 years later I'm sat in Bosnia, in the snow, at my 11 year point (I was in brats) and listening to the same track.
When he sang...

'So if you ask me how do I feel inside, I could honestly tell you
We've been taken on a very long ride
And if my owners let me have some free time some day
With all good intention I would probably run away
Clutching the short straw'

...I knew it was time I called it a day, and signed off on our return to the UK. Then was sent straight out to Kosovo and on our return we had a Sqn parade to be told that we had accrued so much leave due to tours they couldn't give it to us, so we had to be happy with two weeks at Christmas and the third and forth lines of that song rang in my head.
Marillion are still my favorite band and are still going strong. Truly the soundtrack to my life, from early teens to middle age from one of the music industry's best kept secrets, Managed to catch them on their 'With Friends From The Orchestra' tour last year as I'd missed the Albert Hall gig which they sold out in about 3 mins IIRC.

**Still a fan of Fish and his solo work!

Thanks to the thread starter I'm sitting listening to Camel who I was not aware of before, it's growing on me.

Pink Floyd have a wonderful selection, even after RW left them so I'll have a hard time choosing....
Meatloaf Bat our of hell seemed to be issued to everyone who joined the mob when I did so that will make the list.
Supertramp Breakfast in America always gets me singing along so that is on the list.
Looking through the pages I only saw one vote for Rush and nothing for 2112, even if the B side was pretty crap the title tune covered some wonderful rhythms and tempos in one long blast of sound so that makes the list.
Emerson Lake and Palmer almost fitted into the same grouping as Pink Floyd as the "yes but which album?" but if I had to I'd vote for Brain Salad Surgery
At that point I run out of steam on specific albums as I start to cherry pick songs, so I'll just give honourable mentions to Jethro Tull, Yes, ELO and Ultravox.
Brilliant. Which albums from Camel have you listened to so far.

pc flaps

Old-Salt
Hell yes. I was in training in 87 when this came out and could tell Fish was struggling, and he did label 'That Time Of The Night' as his resignation statement from Marillion.
12 years later I'm sat in Bosnia, in the snow, at my 11 year point (I was in brats) and listening to the same track.
When he sang...

'So if you ask me how do I feel inside, I could honestly tell you
We've been taken on a very long ride
And if my owners let me have some free time some day
With all good intention I would probably run away
Clutching the short straw'

...I knew it was time I called it a day, and signed off on our return to the UK. Then was sent straight out to Kosovo and on our return we had a Sqn parade to be told that we had accrued so much leave due to tours they couldn't give it to us, so we had to be happy with two weeks at Christmas and the third and forth lines of that song rang in my head.
Marillion are still my favorite band and are still going strong. Truly the soundtrack to my life, from early teens to middle age from one of the music industry's best kept secrets, Managed to catch them on their 'With Friends From The Orchestra' tour last year as I'd missed the Albert Hall gig which they sold out in about 3 mins IIRC.

**Still a fan of Fish and his solo work!

I believe the Fishster is touring next Spring (assuming we're all alowed out then) and has said it'll be his last time singing live.

I believe the Fishster is touring next Spring (assuming we're all alowed out then) and has said it'll be his last time singing live.
He's just had to cancel that tour. I had tickets to see his Weltschermz tour Manchester in March and was gutted it was cancelled (but for good reasons).
Took delivery of his latest (and final) album next week, it really is spectacular.
Marillion have announced a new tour late next year and are at Bridgewater Hall again, so I presume they are taking the orchestra once more :)

I saw him on his last tour in Salisbury, which was supposed to be his Farewell Tour. 2017 I reckon, when he was featuring Misplaced Childhood in the 2nd half of the show - the first half was tracks from his solo stuff. His band was fabulous, but it pains me to say his voice had gone. He also regularly went into Political rant mode, which was turgid and not what the fans had paid to hear. Cue much heckling such as “leave that shit to Bono and get on with the music”!
I reckon his voice won’t have got better in the intervening years, so I’ll be giving it a miss.
Marillion on the other hand, remain brilliant, especially their fantastic lead guitar player, Steve Rothery.

Dark Side is high on the list for me as are the following three Floyd Albums.

One disappointment with this mini-list though is the technical quality of Animals. It is no better than a pre-recorded cassette sounding flat, dull, lacking depth and so on (Mason sounds like he is drumming about half a mile away from the rest of the band). Wright's keyboards all to often seem to tinkle along in the background and Gilmore/Waters instruments seem to lack bite and presence. I've tried a few different formats and they have all been the same.

This failing is of course not just limited to Animals, and it is so disappointing where I hear a masterpiece so ruined as I know we will never get to hear what should have really been.
I'm sure I heard a story back in the late 80s that Dave Gilmour was horrified to discover that the original CD issue of Dark Side had been made by digitally recording a copy of the bog standard cassette.

Latest Threads