Albums In A Class Of Their Own..

If you asked me to name just one Music Album as my best all time favourite, I honestly would find it hard to choose.

But I do think there are certain Albums that I listened to today for the first time in forty odd years that deserve a place In A Class Of Their Own. From artists I wished I had been to see when they were in their prime.

For example,

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells and Ommadawn.
The range and variation of instruments on those two albums is incredible.

Camel - Moondance and The Snowgoose.
The journey they take you in is different every time.

I listened to all four this afternoon and haven't felt so chilled out for years. Must do it more often.

Out of the above, Snowgoose is the one I would take with me when I go to heaven or hell.

Which Album would you put in a Class of Its Own and why?

Dark Side of the Moon
It is what it is even though I actually prefer Wis You Were Here but DSotM is still the reference work.

my 5 fave albums of all time (in no particular order) are
Wish you were here
The Hurting- Tears for Fears
The Nightfly -Donald Fagin
Wednesday Morning 3am - Simon & Garfunkel
Parallel Lines - Blondie (and if I have to pick a No 1 this is it)
I compiled this list a good dozen years ago and nothing much has changed since.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
"The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd, and "Rumours", by Fleetwood Mac. Technical excellence in the instrumentation and lyrics mixed with the power of a Terex earthmover of the first, and a heartbreaking portrayal of five people in a world of what must have seemed to them at the time to be eternal torment for the second.

I’m currently on day 45 of my vinyl Album choices on FB - 10 just wasn’t enough! :smile: Given that you can only choose one for each Group/artist, I reckon I’m doing pretty well. The Snow Goose by Camel was day 39 I think - great album! Today’s choice was The Alchemist by Home (1973) - lead guitarist Laurie Wisefield went on to join Wishbone Ash and bassist Cliff Williams went on to join AC/DC. A fantastic album.
My day 1 choice was Led Zep 4 (Four Symbols), but if I was to pick just one, it would have to be Foxtrot by Genesis, mainly because it has the astounding and extraordinary track Suppers Ready.
My ‘funeral track’ would be either Who knows where the Time Goes? by Sandy Denny or Pilgrims Progress by Procol Harem - both beautiful songs.

Trout Mask Replica, by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band. Quite simply the best album ever made. By anybody. Ever

I’m currently on day 45 of my vinyl Album choices on FB - 10 just wasn’t enough! :smile: Given that you can only choose one for each Group/artist, I reckon I’m doing pretty well. The Snow Goose by Camel was day 39 I think - great album! Today’s choice was The Alchemist by Home (1973) - lead guitarist Laurie Wisefield went on to join Wishbone Ash and bassist Cliff Williams went on to join AC/DC. A fantastic album.
My day 1 choice was Led Zep 4 (Four Symbols), but if I was to pick just one, it would have to be Foxtrot by Genesis, mainly because it has the astounding and extraordinary track Suppers Ready.
My ‘funeral track’ would be either Who knows where the Time Goes? by Sandy Denny or Pilgrims Progress by Procol Harem - both beautiful songs.
Well,my funeral track would be ''Killed by death'' from Mötorhead seems appropriate. :thumright:

Latest Threads