Alarming AFPS brief stating that personnel will be discharged on eve of 60th birthday to avoid immediate pension!

Sorry about the long title - I couldn't make it any more succinct apart from 'another shafting' which wouldn't tell anyone much!
I am now FTRS(FC) and was fully expecting to retire (for good this time) at age 60 and look forward to my AFPS15 in addition to my AFPS75. Imagine my horror to get a back-brief from the RAO who went to the brief (I didn't know it was on :rolleyes:) telling me that reserve personnel would be discharged the day before their 60th birthday iot avoid paying them their AFPS15 pension. It is all well and good saying you will be paid as long as you serve until 60 but not telling you that they will boot you out the day before? Surely this cannot be true or legal - or am I just naïve (still!). Anyone from FPS care to pitch in?

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
People do retire the day before their 55th/60th birthday now - their first day of retirement is their birthday!
Twas always thus when I stop and think. First day of anything for pay purposes, inclusive. Last day, exclusive. So that if, for example, you were posted from BAOR to UNFICYP, on posting day you only got LOA for one or the other.

Sorry about the long title - I couldn't make it any more succinct apart from 'another shafting' which wouldn't tell anyone much!
I am now FTRS(FC) and was fully expecting to retire (for good this time) at age 60 and look forward to my AFPS15 in addition to my AFPS75. Imagine my horror to get a back-brief from the RAO who went to the brief (I didn't know it was on :rolleyes:) telling me that reserve personnel would be discharged the day before their 60th birthday iot avoid paying them their AFPS15 pension. It is all well and good saying you will be paid as long as you serve until 60 but not telling you that they will boot you out the day before? Surely this cannot be true or legal - or am I just naïve (still!). Anyone from FPS care to pitch in?
I heard something about this a while back - during the misery years of B'liar & Brown - from lads serving in Af'stan,who were SNCO's who were (in effect ) given their P.45's...whilst on Front line Duty !!
It affected SNCO's / Sgts - and any poor unfortunates who were given the boot,for whatever reasons !! Told that it reduced the Pensions and higher paid NCO's thus saving a great deal of money......just like Corbyn will.

Add this to the several other reasons - it's small wonder that Recruiting is such a disaster.

Sorry for you mate - chin up,something else may turn up for you.

People do retire the day before their 55th/60th birthday now - their first day of retirement is their birthday!
Yes, but the OP's point is that this precludes the payment of an immediate second pension - surely not? In the case of regular service, you do exactly the same (retire the day before) and this does not affect the immediate pension.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Something HAS changed but I suppose a long time ago. When I PVRd, when my leaving date was coming up, I talked to a CS about my gratuity and he told me to fix it for the day AFTER my birthday to get another year's increment. Thank you (belatedy) Mr Holly.

I heard something about this a while back - during the misery years of B'liar & Brown - from lads serving in Af'stan,who were SNCO's who were (in effect ) given their P.45's...whilst on Front line Duty !!
It affected SNCO's / Sgts - and any poor unfortunates who were given the boot,for whatever reasons !! Told that it reduced the Pensions and higher paid NCO's thus saving a great deal of money......just like Corbyn will.

Add this to the several other reasons - it's small wonder that Recruiting is such a disaster.

Sorry for you mate - chin up,something else may turn up for you.
Private Eye covered this little horror story quite well. Squarebasher (RIP) was all over it. Probably a safe bet to assume there is a thread on it.

I doubt if it saved much in the overall scheme of things.

More a demonstration of the extreme pettiness, spite and malevolence of junior civil serpents in the MOD. TBH I doubt if Blair/Brown had much to do with it and I am sure this was in CMDs era anyway (not that I think he had anything to do with it either).

It did seem to especially focus on Sergeants, which didn’t make a lot of sense (unless they were typically at a service length which tipped them into some sort of higher pension category).

Phew, managed to dodge that particular bullet.

I raised this same concern at my place but was assured that as long as I was in post until retirement age I'd get my immediate AFPS2015 part of my pension. I'm now going to try to find something in writing as I really don't trust the dodgy slags in charge of this sort of policy.......

Edited to add this from AR Regs:

11. Age Limits. FTRS(HC) posts are designated lifed, or enduring and have different retirement ages. The age limits shown below may be varied with DM(A) authority in order to meet a Service need.

a. The NRA for both officers and ORs, whether in a lifed or enduring post wil be 60 years2 .

b. FTRS HC (RSG). The day before 65th birthday. This Term of Service is available to Officers only and entry is normally limited to those aged 50-60 with an NRA of 65, subject to annual confirmation of medical fitness
after the age of 60.

12. The normal retirement age for AFPS 15 purposes is age 60 and only personnel retiring on or after their 60th birthday will receive an immediate pension; all other pensions will be preserved until 65.

My take from that is if your 1st day of retirement is your actual 60th birthday then you should be fine and get your AFPS 15 pension.
Only the MoD could take something as straightforward as this and confuse the living shit out of it, I'm sure they do it on purpose just to add an element of stress so we've less chance of making it to 60 in the first place........

Last edited: