Alanbrooke

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by REMEbrat, Dec 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is the name Alanbrooke so common in British Army site names?
    Before Dortmund was abandoned in the early 90's one of the British Army schools was Alanbrooke and I have seen several mentions of Barracks named Alanbrooke, one in Paderborn.

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I served with his nephew, Lord Brookbrough, the family own about half of county Fermanagh

3. If you need to ask you don't realise, or understand. To quote General Sir Nigel Farndale, "he was the greatest Field Marshal ever." His influence on the outcome of second world war immense, few liked him all respected him.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

His diary probable gives the best insight into how Churchill's mind worked during WW2 and is a f@cking must have for any historian

5. The right man in the right place at the right time, as he said about Churchill "heaven knows where we would be without him." The same applies as to where we would be without Alanbrooke.

6. REMEbrat - if your Dad (assumption being made that its your Dad who was in the Army) is an ex apprentice, he might well have met Gen Alanbrooke's son who worked there. Im not sure how far back he went there but at least '87.

7. Alanbrooke's diaries are indeed a must - I read them very early, and whenever I popped into the Mess at Woolwich I was comforted by his portrait that surveyed the ante-room with it's beady eyes.

Above all he was, in many respects, very modest. He was the first to admit that he should not, as an artilleryman, become Chief of the Imperial General Staff, lamenting that all of his peer groups from the infantry and cavalry were lost in flanders field, cut down in their youth.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Victor was still there in the mid 90s as a Burnham lecturer. Last met him about 18 months ago for a tour round the Houses of Parliament, where he was obliged to wear a pass identifying him as an 'ex-hereditary peer'.

9. Yes it is my Dad who was in the Army, he was based in Napier Barracks Dormund with 12 AD Regt from mid '87 to 1990.

10. Field Marshall Lord Alanbrooke was indeed Churchill's right hand man during virtually all of the momentous occasions of WW2.
    Churchill acknowledged him as having a very steadying influence on his, Churchill's, somtimes eccentric notions. Alanbrooke was a serious-minded Ulsterman whose family seat in Fermanagh reaches back to the Plantation of Ulster.

"Churchill's generals" also included Dill, family home Armagh, Montgomery, with roots in Donegal, Alexander, whose family seat is Caledon in Tyrone, and Auchinleck, another aristocratic Fermanagh family. These, with some others from Ulster, were a major part of the senior Officer corp of the various Armies who defeated Fascism.

You will find these names as streets and avenues in various places which were once military bases.

They had all experienced the carnage of the First War and used the knowledge they gained to advantage.

11. There were three primary schools and one secondary school in Dortmund, Alandrooke, Alexander and Victoria and the secondary school Cornwall. Victoria School was in Napier Barracks on the site of a German WW2 airfield, Cornwall School and a least one of the other two primary schools were in Camp 7. Does anybody know what/who Victoria, Cornwall and Napier were named after?

12. Further to my previous post I have seen a street nameplate which identifies a road in what was once a military establishment but is now a trading or industrial estate.

The nameplate (with others) has been placed there by a local authority probably after a series of meetings to choose an appropriate name. There is a Montgomery Way for example, and one or two others naming WW2 generals.

However another describes ALLENBROOK (sic) Road. When trying to point out the error I discovered, to my intense irritation, that those who direct such things had no knowledge of any of the men named, and even more annoying, acted as if I was making a mountain of a molehill. They had just used the names they found when taking over the site - but seemed to have become confused in transmission. One individual in fact insisted that "Alanbrooke" was actually a mis-spelling!

13. Victoria I assume was that Queen and as far as I know, Napier Barracks was named after this chap, late of the Royal Irish Artillery:
    William Francis Patrick Napier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. You've got the answer at your fingertips. Try Google.

And if anyone on here comes across the rather mundane name of Nicholson in a street name it commemorates a certain General Sir John Nicholson, another dour god-bothering Ulsterman from Dungannon in County Tyrone.

General Nicholson, supported by his countryman John Lawrence from Londonderry (one of two brothers who played a part in the growth of Empire), set out to break the will of the ringleaders of the Indian Mutiny who had dared to beseige and ravage Delhi.

"So Nicholson rode with a loosened rein
    On the last long ride of all,
    From Goordaspore to the Ridge of Pain
    And the breach at the Kashmir wall.

Far from Foyle the Lawrences wait
    The Coming of God the Lord,
    Nicholson sleeps at the Kashmir Gate,
    He has sheathed his mighty sword.
    But the faith they kept lads learn to keep
    Through good report and ill,
    As long as the silver Foyle runs deep,
    And Dungannon sits on the hill."

Rev W.F Marshall (Goordaspore)

He, Nicholson, was of course successful.