Alan Whicker Turns his Toes Up

BBC News - Broadcaster Alan Whicker dies at 87

Worth a mention due to:

during the Second World War, he was commissioned as an officer in the Devonshire Regiment of the British Army. He then joined the British Army's Film and Photo Unit in Italy in 1943, filming at Anzio and meeting such influential figures as Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery. He was also responsible for taking into custody British traitor John Amery.

In 2004, Whicker appeared in a successful television series on this topic, titled Whicker's War. In this series he reveals that he was one of the first of the Allied forces to enter Milan and that he took into custody an SS general and troopers who were looking after the SS vault of money. Whicker also shot footage of the body of Benito Mussolini.
Another old gentleman bites the dust and did us he courtesy of shuffling off quickly when the time came.

Unlike some we could mention.

This isn't Whicker's World anymore then?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Just caught that on the lunchtime news. Half listening to a brief travelogue 'where the locals spend the daytime fasting and the nighttime *******', I misheard that I think he meant feasting.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
"The Australian man loves sex and hates women" - Alan Whicker

I have his wartime autobiography as related by himself as an MP3 file .... about 4 hours play time . He was scathing about the American General Clark and his selfish desire to take Rome rather than cut off retreating German troops .... and has a very interesting section when he as Captain accepted the surrender from a German SS General of their surrounded troops in Milan ... further how he was offered a trunk full of money of all nationalities from looted Banks ... he handed it over to the Americans ... when they arrived later .

A sad loss and with his urbane style of presentation together with his characteristic voice I am sure will be remembered by many of my generation for years to come .

My bold ...

Edited to add as already mentioned and thus confirmed in geezer466's initial post .

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I have his wartime autobiography as related by himself as an MP3 file .... about 4 hours play time . He was scathing about the American General Clark and his selfish desire to take Rome rather than cut off retreating German troops .... and has a very interesting section when he as Captain accepted the surrender from a German SS General of their surrounded troops in Milan ... further how he was offered a trunk full of money of all nationalities from looted Banks ... he handed it over to the Americans ... when they arrived later .

A sad loss and with his urbane style of presentation together with his characteristic voice I am sure will be remembered by many of my generation for years to come .
He did make a programme about where he went in the war, was very good.

How very true.

He had his very own style and like his colleague at the Beeb, Fyfe Robertson, often the butt of satirical impressionists. Always cultured, regularly well dressed, a gentleman's gentleman in such a media profession of his times.
A guy who contributed more to this life than he ever took from it. RIP

An interesting man and life..amusing now to look at some of his work where he describes someone in monte carlo as a millionaire!! how we used to gasp at that!(an unimaginable amount of money then) today we have people ripping that off per day.

Absolute gent - and a dapper one at that. I bumped into him once at Heathrow... where else? RIP

I think i can predict where this thread will be heading in a few weeks / months time. If I was a former 1970's /80's presenter I'd want to die without anybody hearing about it......