Alan Whicker Turns his Toes Up

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, Jul 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Broadcaster Alan Whicker dies at 87

Worth a mention due to:

Another old gentleman bites the dust and did us he courtesy of shuffling off quickly when the time came.

Unlike some we could mention.

• Like Like x 2
  2. What a shame I loved to see him on TV.

• Like Like x 6
  3. This isn't Whicker's World anymore then?

• Like Like x 4
  4. .
    It'll turn out that he was raping in the seventies anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Seemed like a decent old sod , RIP.

6. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Just caught that on the lunchtime news. Half listening to a brief travelogue 'where the locals spend the daytime fasting and the nighttime *******', I misheard that I think he meant feasting.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  7. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

He's gone to shoot "Whicker's Next World".

His war memoires are a good read.

• Like Like x 2
  8. "goodbye world"

always enjoyed the programs of this excellent broadcaster.

9. "The Australian man loves sex and hates women" - Alan Whicker

• Like Like x 3
  10. I have his wartime autobiography as related by himself as an MP3 file .... about 4 hours play time . He was scathing about the American General Clark and his selfish desire to take Rome rather than cut off retreating German troops .... and has a very interesting section when he as Captain accepted the surrender from a German SS General of their surrounded troops in Milan ... further how he was offered a trunk full of money of all nationalities from looted Banks ... he handed it over to the Americans ... when they arrived later .

A sad loss and with his urbane style of presentation together with his characteristic voice I am sure will be remembered by many of my generation for years to come .

My bold ...

Edited to add as already mentioned and thus confirmed in geezer466's initial post .

• Like Like x 5
  11. He did make a programme about where he went in the war, was very good.

12. How very true.

He had his very own style and like his colleague at the Beeb, Fyfe Robertson, often the butt of satirical impressionists. Always cultured, regularly well dressed, a gentleman's gentleman in such a media profession of his times.
    A guy who contributed more to this life than he ever took from it. RIP

• Like Like x 9
  13. An interesting man and life..amusing now to look at some of his work where he describes someone in monte carlo as a millionaire!! how we used to gasp at that!(an unimaginable amount of money then) today we have people ripping that off per day.

14. Absolute gent - and a dapper one at that. I bumped into him once at Heathrow... where else? RIP