Alan Greenspan claims Iraq war was really for oil

#1
Though nothing new...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article2461214.ece

AMERICA’s elder statesman of finance, Alan Greenspan, has shaken the White House by declaring that the prime motive for the war in Iraq was oil.

In his long-awaited memoir, to be published tomorrow, Greenspan, a Republican whose 18-year tenure as head of the US Federal Reserve was widely admired, will also deliver a stinging critique of President George W Bush’s economic policies.

However, it is his view on the motive for the 2003 Iraq invasion that is likely to provoke the most controversy. “I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil,” he says.

Greenspan, 81, is understood to believe that Saddam Hussein posed a threat to the security of oil supplies in the Middle East.
 
#3
KGB_resident said:
Though nothing new...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article2461214.ece

AMERICA’s elder statesman of finance, Alan Greenspan, has shaken the White House by declaring that the prime motive for the war in Iraq was oil.

In his long-awaited memoir, to be published tomorrow, Greenspan, a Republican whose 18-year tenure as head of the US Federal Reserve was widely admired, will also deliver a stinging critique of President George W Bush’s economic policies.

However, it is his view on the motive for the 2003 Iraq invasion that is likely to provoke the most controversy. “I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil,” he says.

Greenspan, 81, is understood to believe that Saddam Hussein posed a threat to the security of oil supplies in the Middle East.
No sh1t, Sherlock... :roll:
 
#4
:x Most people know it was for OIL. Greenspan also caused the present credit problem in the U.S. by allowing the Fed. to have very low interest rates. Also Greenspan the myopic Jew told people to by shares again and again giving false hope the stockholders, many who lost everything on the overpriced stock market that he helped to happen, now you will see the fallout in the U.K.of his low interest actions. read up his history not good for many broke people in U.S. he has now been the driving force of Two boom to busts in the U.S. wait until you want more credit this Christmas, Mr Greenspan has a lot to answer for. :x :x :x
 
#5
KGB_resident said:
Though nothing new...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article2461214.ece

AMERICA’s elder statesman of finance, Alan Greenspan, has shaken the White House by declaring that the prime motive for the war in Iraq was oil.

In his long-awaited memoir, to be published tomorrow, Greenspan, a Republican whose 18-year tenure as head of the US Federal Reserve was widely admired, will also deliver a stinging critique of President George W Bush’s economic policies.

However, it is his view on the motive for the 2003 Iraq invasion that is likely to provoke the most controversy. “I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil,” he says.

Greenspan, 81, is understood to believe that Saddam Hussein posed a threat to the security of oil supplies in the Middle East.
In other news:


Pope is Catholic.

Bears sh1t in the woods.
 
#6
Come, come now gentlemen.
How many of us are being a little intellectually suave, but only after the fact?
Surely we remember the time when Iraq was not about oil, but all and only about WMD, yes?
 
#7
node: "Also Greenspan the myopic Jew "

I say, bit strong what? Just undermined your whole case..
 
#8
goodkurtz said:
Come, come now gentlemen.
How many of us are being a little intellectually suave, but only after the fact?
Surely we remember the time when Iraq was not about oil, but all and only about WMD, yes?
For your sake, I hope that was a Wah... 8O
 
#10
Cabarfeidh said:
"Also Greenspan the myopic Jew "

I say, bit strong what?
:x :x :x True read his latest history, two big financial bubbles caused by his vain belief that he was always correct and would not listen to more clever people like WARREN BUFFET, one of the best and clever money makers in the U.S. second in worth to Bill Gates, the fallout of his very low interest rates in the U.S. are now being felt in the U.K.wait for Christmas for the credit squeeze to come to U.k. :x :x
 
#11
Those Americans eh... They have kept us guessing all along; who would have thought it eh?

Troop reductions, post-war planning criticism etc and it was all for oil. I, for one, will sleep better at night knowing the great and the good on both sides of the Atlantic are so clever they knew how this would all turn out. :roll:

Note to self - books not to buy:

'Go Ing 2 War For Religen (sic)' by Dubya Bush

'Oil, Glorious Oil' by Alan Greenspan

'I Did It My Way' by Tony Blair

'Prudence Was Killed By A Time Travelling Conservative Assassin in a Branch Of Northern Rock' by Gordon Brown

'I Had Doubts About Post-War Planning' by Sir Micheal Jackson

'Those Kids Looked Much Older' by Micheal Jackson
 
#12
Werewolf said:
goodkurtz said:
Come, come now gentlemen.
How many of us are being a little intellectually suave, but only after the fact?
Surely we remember the time when Iraq was not about oil, but all and only about WMD, yes?
For your sake, I hope that was a Wah... 8O
No it most definitely isn't. Before it all kicked off those who supported it kept insisting that the coming war had nothing to do with oil.

Now apparently we all knew it was about oil all along! So were the war supporters lying before the war then?
 
#13
Cabarfeidh said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6996713.stm

Funny - the BBC don't mention this at all.
:lol: :lol: The BBC report on the speech Greenspan is hardly going to say I told investors time and again to buy stocks and shares, and as the hype continued the overpriced shares including dot com and junk bonds left lots of people in the U.S. broke many are still working in their seventies to pay medical bills and to survive. Nor is he going to say I as the guy in charge of the FED got interest down so low that people without a job in trailer parks could get a loan, just to mention some poor people, but as soon as interest rates went up the poor people could not pay off these loans, mortgages .Now the U.S. housing is in one terrible state and the effect of some $200 billion us will be coming home to roost. He was correct to mention G W Bush out of control bills on spending. Why is he making this speech? people have short memories so he can blame the Republicans, and as he is in the consulting company game, well Democrats will control the money, and in the U.S. you suck up to the holders of the money, if you want the big bucks. So just wait until Xmas to see tight credit, Northernrock is just the start :x :x :x
 
#14
goodkurtz said:
Werewolf said:
goodkurtz said:
Come, come now gentlemen.
How many of us are being a little intellectually suave, but only after the fact?
Surely we remember the time when Iraq was not about oil, but all and only about WMD, yes?
For your sake, I hope that was a Wah... 8O
No it most definitely isn't. Before it all kicked off those who supported it kept insisting that the coming war had nothing to do with oil.

Now apparently we all knew it was about oil all along! So were the war supporters lying before the war then?
In a word...YES!

Well, either they were lying b@stards or fcuking idiots. Pick one.

The dogs in the street could have told you that GWII had fcuk all to do with WMD, saving the Iraqi people or anything BUT oil, money from reconstruction and, in the case of Bush, Messianic self-delusion and vanity.
 
#15
Werewolf said:
goodkurtz said:
Werewolf said:
goodkurtz said:
Come, come now gentlemen.
How many of us are being a little intellectually suave, but only after the fact?
Surely we remember the time when Iraq was not about oil, but all and only about WMD, yes?
For your sake, I hope that was a Wah... 8O
No it most definitely isn't. Before it all kicked off those who supported it kept insisting that the coming war had nothing to do with oil.

Now apparently we all knew it was about oil all along! So were the war supporters lying before the war then?
In a word...YES!

Well, either they were lying b@stards or fcuking idiots. Pick one.

The dogs in the street could have told you that GWII had fcuk all to do with WMD, saving the Iraqi people or anything BUT oil, money from reconstruction and, in the case of Bush, Messianic self-delusion and vanity.
We were in Sierra Leone to protect democracy and a rare animal that resembled a domestic pig but with feathery shoulder attachments...
 
#16
There will always be those who believe the Iraq fiasco was all about oil and there'll be those who think the opposite. Does it really prove anything if one American banker/politician states his side of the argument. The fact that he says it's about oil is after all only his opinion. I tend to follow the belief that it was "the Blair/Bush I am God " syndrome that was the major reason for us being dragged in to what is, despite Lord Goldsmith's opinion, an illegal war.
 
#17
For many years Greenspan managed well an economy as was presented to him.
But above and beyond him the neo cons of the Thatcher/Reagan period were racing away deregulating anything that moved. It's the consequences of that reckless, ill thought out, ideologically driven deregulation that is coming home to roost. Some of the Tories of the time knew and counselled against some of this unwise deregulation but were overruled and dismissed as being the 'Wets'.

Now every ones dumping on Greenspan to divert attention from the real culprits.
His position is similar to the hapless Peter Parker who tried his best to run British Rail but was being constantly undermined by the wretched Thatcher who wanted British Rail run into the ground and then sold off in a fire sale.
 
#18
hellfyyr said:
Werewolf said:
goodkurtz said:
Werewolf said:
goodkurtz said:
Come, come now gentlemen.
How many of us are being a little intellectually suave, but only after the fact?
Surely we remember the time when Iraq was not about oil, but all and only about WMD, yes?
For your sake, I hope that was a Wah... 8O
No it most definitely isn't. Before it all kicked off those who supported it kept insisting that the coming war had nothing to do with oil.

Now apparently we all knew it was about oil all along! So were the war supporters lying before the war then?
In a word...YES!

Well, either they were lying b@stards or fcuking idiots. Pick one.

The dogs in the street could have told you that GWII had fcuk all to do with WMD, saving the Iraqi people or anything BUT oil, money from reconstruction and, in the case of Bush, Messianic self-delusion and vanity.
We were in Sierra Leone to protect democracy and a rare animal that resembled a domestic pig but with feathery shoulder attachments...
Nothing to do with the diamond mines then? No, silly me, of course not... :roll: :roll:
 
#19
Werewolf on war supporters:
Well, either they were lying b@stards or fcuking idiots. Pick one.
If the 'lying b@stards' knew all along that it was about oil but pretended to believe it was all about WMD, they must have been doing that with only one thing in mind. They must of thought that by now they would be reaping the benefits of lower oil prices that would make the suffering of the peoples of Iraq so very worth while afterall.

But with no relief at the pumps and oil now over 80 dollars a barrel and climbing the 'lying b@stards' have been shown to have been too clever by half if they thought they would benefit personally from the war.

As a consequence the serried ranks of 'lying b@stards' must now join the serried ranks of 'fcuking idiots.' The 'fcuking idiots' didn't know their arrse from their elbow to begin with and as such are at least excused a portion of the blame for being 'fcuking idiots' all along.

In fact in not trying, or merely being incapable of being to clever by half, the 'fcuking idiots' showed a measure of intelligence lacking in the 'lying b@stards' who thought they were cleverer than they actually were.
As a consequence of this the 'lying b@stards' have shown themselves to be even more 'fcuking idiots' than the 'fcuking idiots' themselves.

(God, it's great to be British these days isn't it? :D :D :D )

Edited with some urgency to correct the misspelling of the name 'Werewolf', lest one moonlit night I hear a strange howling at my bedroom window.
 
#20
the BBC didnt mention this?.....crikey...when was the last time the BBC mentioned anything of any note? unless it concerns job prospects for gays and the indian sub continent
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top