Alabama USA: Medieval or religious fundamentalist thinking?

Call me silly but I can't help noticing a couple of things in common with the people that voted for this law in the Alabama senate.

A few years ago I was on holiday and fell in with a crowd redneck of Americans.
Nice bunch of god fearing people.
All gun owners, but the views on termination of pregnancy were astonishing.
In the end we all collectively decided that the topic was out of bounds.
They fanatacilly said that it was not to be tolerated.

The Alabama lawmakers appear to want to take a huge step backwards into medieval barbarism. Their law mandates that a woman who has a miscarriage at, say, six weeks (often when she doesn't even know that she's pregnant) can be jailed for 30 years. Likewise, a woman who travels out of state to obtain an abortion can be jailed for ten years. How is that progress and how come it's almost always men who're making decisions about what a woman should do when they know next to nothing about the subject? Since there's nothing in the bible about abortion, they've arbitrarily decided to class it as "un-christian".

Apparently, it's a further attempt (again mainly by men) to overturn the 1973 Roe versus Wade decision, which made abortion legal in the US. What they should do to settle the matter once and for all is to hold a nationwide "abortion - yes, abortion - no" referendum in which only women can take part

MsG
Not so much men but rather Conservative Abrahamists with plenty of likeminded cohorts of all types from across the globe and that spectrum. The greater mission being to bring this "enlightenment" to the world, that was the original aim in millennia gone by and remains unchanged today.

It would seem to me that the most successful colonisation effort the world has ever seen is Abrahamism, colonisation of the mind by hook or by crook being the method of implementation.

I don't know much about religion but I am not aware of any other type that was so aggressive and certain of it's right to go and own others in this way. Not sure of the numbers off hand but I guess that more than 50% of the world is so trapped, the British Empire really was second division compared to the Abrahamists.

Call me silly but I can't help noticing a couple of things in common with the people that voted for this law in the Alabama senate.

Could they all be Sikhs? Not likely by the look of it. Jews? Not in Alabama. Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Atheists? Don't think so. I can only imagine then it is ardent followers of some Abrahamic branch or other?

A few years ago I was on holiday and fell in with a crowd redneck of Americans.
Nice bunch of god fearing people.
All gun owners, but the views on termination of pregnancy were astonishing.
In the end we all collectively decided that the topic was out of bounds.
They fanatacilly said that it was not to be tolerated.
Yup it ain't a popular topic to debate here.

Would it be unwise to say that you think it would have been better had Donald Trump been aborted while the chance was still going?
That is a difficult question, which might ponder some serious thought. Part of me loathes the bastard and part of me is somewhat glad he is actually addressing some issues. SO perhaps we could just agree to give him the pink needle when his Presidency is done and move on??

That is a difficult question, which might ponder some serious thought. Part of me loathes the bastard and part of me is somewhat glad he is actually addressing some issues. SO perhaps we could just agree to give him the pink needle when his Presidency is done and move on??
He is different from anyone before in the hot seat so difficult to know what the long term impact of his time in office will mean. Perhaps Democrats and other Republicans will take on board that "business as usual" won't be goer from here on. It will be interesting to see how it all goes in 2020.

I remember an doco with a mid level Taliban commander who gave an interview about lobbing gays off buildings. His take was he was helping them as by punishment in this world he was cleansing their sins and would let them enter heaven. I have no reason to doubt his sincerity in that, but it doesn't mean I have to regard it as a valid view.
How is that comparable? One is a debate on where life begins (and all humans agree killing is usually wrong) and the other is murder for dogma.

That you’re completely unable to understand my point just reinforces it.

He is different from anyone before in the hot seat so difficult to know what the long term impact of his time in office will mean. Perhaps Democrats and other Republicans will take on board that "business as usual" won't be goer from here on. It will be interesting to see how it all goes in 2020.
He is changing America and our national course for sure. But we can wait another year before we start the 2020 and beyond debate! I am dreading this time next year.

The bullshit about "lifestyle reasons" is often used by the pro-lifers as a catch-all to shut down the debate. From what I've experienced, one of the main reasons for terminations is that young women become aware of the fact that they're about to enter into an ongoing obligation lasting (at least) 16 years. That thought is too much for them and they don't know if they can hack it.

Let's face it, in other walks of life you're allowed to dip out of a duty (a different job in the company, a post with more responsibility etc) if you have the feeling that you wouldn't be able to manage it, but where babies are concerned it, suddenly and inexplicably, becomes a moral question.

MsG
Says the twerp from Ireland, a country that just voted in divorce in the late 1990s

The Romans held that parents had the right to kill their children since they had given them life. You're essentially advancing the same argument - the only area of dispute being the applicable timeframe.

There are certain circumstances of pregnancy that deserve nothing but the greatest understanding and the choice of abortion in those circumstances should be available and that same understanding should be extended to those who make it. For the most part, however, given all the effort put into Sex Ed and all the contraception options available, there is generally no excuse.

There is no moral justification for this second group using abortion as a form of contraception, though there is an undoubted social value in preventing them from breeding successfully.

Decisions, decisions.
Apologies just seen this post, and wanted to point out your premise was and complete and utter horsesh1t given that you’re comparing a fetus to a viable infant.

Thanks.

T

How is that comparable? One is a debate on where life begins (and all humans agree killing is usually wrong) and the other is murder for dogma.

That you’re completely unable to understand my point just reinforces it.
The debate where life begins does not start with rape either stranger or incestual. When these shit kickers try to start it thus they are no better than the taliban.

Religious extremists act like religious extremists, well colour me shocked

It rather shows the need for more separation of church and state over the pond

So you can take a life when someone has illegally entered a property, but you can't take the life of a few divided cells when someone has illegally entered a woman?

Saying that, I have never thought though that using abortion as contraception is a good moral place in health care.
Unfortunately in these inbred bits of America they also tend to be against halfway decent sex education and often make it difficult and/or expensive to obtain primary birth control.

The point is that the foetus wasn’t the perpetrator of the rape, therefore shouldn’t be destroyed for the crime of another. Clearer?
Personally i doubt if a black guy raped the wives of any of these crusty old pricks making this law they'd do anything other than fly her to the nearest abortion town.

The point is that the foetus wasn’t the perpetrator of the rape, therefore shouldn’t be destroyed for the crime of another. Clearer?
But it's ok to leave a traumatised mother with a permanent reminder of that event and the responsibility to bring up the result of sexual violence that was no fault of her own. Torture can't even reach that level of depravity but religion can.