Alabama USA: Medieval or religious fundamentalist thinking?

Why should I be forced to pay for her Choice? maybe to you thats fine and Im more than willing to let YOU pay for abortions then, But I should not have to
So you are from the "Ooriginal Sin" camp then? You see pregnancy and unwanted children as the just penalty for the dirty sluts having sex.
Not exactly fair on the unwanted child is it?

So you are from the "Ooriginal Sin" camp then? You see pregnancy and unwanted children as the just penalty for the dirty sluts having sex.
Not exactly fair on the unwanted child is it?
Why are they always dirty??

But the point remains, taxpayers have to pay enough bills already. The Government should not have to fund everything for people who use poor judgement.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
But the point remains, taxpayers have to pay enough bills already. The Government should not have to fund everything for people who use poor judgement.
You mean like they did for the greedy US bankers back in 2008 (and have been doing ever since)?

MsG

Why are they always dirty??

Not all women/young girls who become pregnant do so by choice. What is your definition of poor judgement? Dressing provocatively?

Not using birth control???
You chose to not comment my first sentence.. What about them?
Are you saying victims of rape and child abuse should use birth control just in case?

I support abortions in the case of rape, incest, or health of the mother...

But when we are using abortion to prevent a consequence because we were getting busy at a Frat party, then nope.
Presumably you have never made any serious mistakes or errors of judgment in your entire life?

I'm not entirely sure what "disinfantising" means, but OK, let's amend the qualification to vote in the referendum to: "All those persons of voting age who are capable of getting pregnant/having children". Is that better?

MsG
And those who want to have children. "Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies."

I think that the only person who can choose is the woman herself, she alone knows the situation and how she feels about it. Let her choose without any judgement from outside influences.

Presumably you have never made any serious mistakes or errors of judgment in your entire life?
You mean have a child out of wedlock that was not planned, with a female I only knew as a **** buddy...and become a parent at the age of 24....

One also can Cowboy the **** up and realize life is not fair and deal with it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
a

I have already stated upthread (as have others) that abortion is deeply unpleasant and would pretty much agree that it’s a necessary evil, though not necessarily using the same terms.

Your argument that it’s no different to killing toddlers is utterly ridiculous. Viability refers to the ability to survive outside the womb. Currently 25 weeks is considered the point from which the baby will have a strong chance of survival.

As our knowledge and medical science increase, there is certainly a debate that needs to be had about where the upper limit for abortion should be set.

Most abortions however take place when the fetus is little more than a clump if cells. Eg not viable! There’s enough emotion in this debate already without placing abortion on the same level as infanticide.
'Viability' is just a term to make people feel better about what they're doing, dependency is dependency, the only difference is timing and location - let nature take its course and, in just a few years, that little clump of cells will be selling drugs and capping yo' ass with the best of them.

As a society we kill a large number of unwanted babies because it's the cheapest and most convenient option given that society contains a significant number of people who apparently can't use a condom or remember to take a pill but still want to have sex. I don't want to subsidise a large and feral underclass so I'm OK with abortion, but let's be honest about what we're sanctioning and why and not tell ourselves comfortable little fictions whilst drowning in a sea of cant.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I support abortions in the case of rape, incest, or health of the mother...

But when we are using abortion to prevent a consequence because we were getting busy at a Frat party, then nope.
And no man ever has sex when drunk or has a "moment". If men got pregnant you can bet that the pill would be free and abortion available on every corner. There is more than a whiff of misogyny in all these debates. if these pretty little women just stayed at home then none of this would be an issue.

You mean have a child out of wedlock that was not planned, with a female I only knew as a **** buddy...and become a parent at the age of 24....

One also can Cowboy the **** up and realize life is not fair and deal with it.
Cowboy the f*ck up? I m sorry I hadn’t realised I was dealing with a parody account.

And no man ever has sex when drunk or has a "moment". If men got pregnant you can bet that the pill would be free and abortion available on every corner. There is more than a whiff of misogyny in all these debates. if these pretty little women just stayed at home then none of this would be an issue.
Or just gave head!

While I balance precariously on this fence, I wonder whether there will be a rise in 'Big Pharma' producing and marketing easily available, over the counter medications clearly marked 'NOT TO BE TAKEN IF YOU MAY BE PREGNANT'
And this will be alongside a return to the bad old days of backyard abortionists, some qualified and many more not? It will save the qualified ones from the dreary task of writing out prescription after prescription for opioids.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Cowboy the f*ck up? I m sorry I hadn’t realised I was dealing with a parody account.
It's all part of the "John Wayne" image your man there is desperate to project.

MsG

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Pace Erica Jong, the only misogyny is in your head. We all know it takes two to tango, however, thanks to the wonders of science, there are multiple ways to avoid pregnancy, even when absolutely off one's tits, which don't involve abortion and at least one of which can be taken post facto.

Empowerment means taking responsibility as well as control and, outside of the circumstances cited in an earlier post, the root cause of the majority of unwanted pregnancies (not to mention STDs) is carelessness or idleness. Far from being a feminist triumph, the core stakeholder group for an abortion clinic is the horny and stupid, who are generally over-represented in society, .