Alabama USA: Medieval or religious fundamentalist thinking?

Alabama has just passed an anti-abortion law that defies belief as far as I'm concerned. It would appear to be religious fundamentalism gone to extremes or is it a vote-grabbing exercise. What's your take on it?
Alabama passes bill banning abortion

It's madness! They're sliding back into the days when Women were second class citizens, viewed just as walking incubators for the next generation of men....

D

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
The Alabama lawmakers appear to want to take a huge step backwards into medieval barbarism. Their law mandates that a woman who has a miscarriage at, say, six weeks (often when she doesn't even know that she's pregnant) can be jailed for 30 years. Likewise, a woman who travels out of state to obtain an abortion can be jailed for ten years. How is that progress and how come it's almost always men who're making decisions about what a woman should do when they know next to nothing about the subject? Since there's nothing in the bible about abortion, they've arbitrarily decided to class it as "un-christian".

Apparently, it's a further attempt (again mainly by men) to overturn the 1973 Roe versus Wade decision, which made abortion legal in the US. What they should do to settle the matter once and for all is to hold a nationwide "abortion - yes, abortion - no" referendum in which only women can take part

MsG

More worryingly, apparently the long term goal is to try and ensure this gets escalated to the Supreme Court with the aim of overturning Roe v Wade. They feel that the appointment of conservatives to the Supreme Court gives them a chance.

I obviously don’t have enough knowledge as a Brit to know if they do or not so interested in a view from our various Septic posters.

Edit: Beaten by DaManBugs.

Some people fervently believe that life begins at conception and that the life of an unborn person should receive the same protection as that of a born person.

Some people fervently believe that the women have the right to control their own bodies and the former is an infringement upon this.

This is a conflict of two worldviews, one influenced by traditional values, the other by progressive values. Not much medieval about it, despite the hyperbole of the OP.

Some people fervently believe that life begins at conception and that the life of an unborn person should receive the same protection as that of a born person.

Some people fervently believe that the women have the right to control their own bodies and the former is an infringement upon this.

This is a conflict of two worldviews, one influenced by traditional values, the other by progressive values. Not much medieval about it, despite the hyperbole of the OP.
Hmm, people thinking that their belief in Sky Pixie enables them to control what women do with their bodies?

Nope, nothing medieval in that world view...

I could "understand" if this was a middle east country but for a state in america to bring it in seems incredible to me. Somebody has obviously got a lot of influence or dirt on others

It isn't a conflict of world views given that no (or at least the vast majority) doctor will try to argue that a group of cells constitutes 'life'. If nothing else, a fertilised egg will not, necessarily, progress to becoming a baby. In addition, mismatched chromosomes account for 60%+ of natural miscarriages - it is the body's way of saying that the pregnancy is wrong.

So, no, it is not a mismatch of world views, the Alabama decision, and the beliefs behind it, is dangerous nonsense.

All part of the grand plan to hurry the rapture. moving the embassy to jerusalem is part of this fcukwittery too. some of these fundamentalists really believe that they are hurrying the second coming.

when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, looking at the increasing secularism around, I really though that the world was making progress, look around these days and I despair. I fervently hope that we are just watching the death throes of organised religion.

Topics like this are why Christian Conservatives hold their nose and vote Trump. They fervently want this to go to the Supreme Court, and having had their votes repaid by two Associate Justices of the United States, for a ruling to over-turn Roe v Wade.

Hmm, people thinking that their belief in Sky Pixie enables them to control what women do with their bodies?

Nope, nothing medieval in that world view...
My experience of Christian fundamentalists in the USA is that many have a very unchristian attitude.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Not much medieval about it, despite the hyperbole of the OP
Perhaps 'backward thinking' rather than 'medieval' would have been better. Hyperbole? I don't think there's much of an overstated exaggeration in the use of 'medieval'.
Have a like anyway.

My experience of Christian fundamentalists in the USA is that many have a very unchristian attitude.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Sky-pixie believers are hypocrites you say? How very unexpected.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
That won't hold as you are disinfantising those who identify as male or trans. Can of worms you are opening.
I'm not entirely sure what "disinfantising" means, but OK, let's amend the qualification to vote in the referendum to: "All those persons of voting age who are capable of getting pregnant/having children". Is that better?

MsG

Anyone with any sense can see that a fertilised egg is neither a sentient being nor capable of autonomously sustaining life. Leave the decision up to the parents- with the casting vote going to the mother- not a bunch of religious nut-jobs who wish to poke their noses into other people’s business.

The Alabama lawmakers appear to want to take a huge step backwards into medieval barbarism. Their law mandates that a woman who has a miscarriage at, say, six weeks (often when she doesn't even know that she's pregnant) can be jailed for 30 years. Likewise, a woman who travels out of state to obtain an abortion can be jailed for ten years. How is that progress and how come it's almost always men who're making decisions about what a woman should do when they know next to nothing about the subject? Since there's nothing in the bible about abortion, they've arbitrarily decided to class it as "un-christian".

Apparently, it's a further attempt (again mainly by men) to overturn the 1973 Roe versus Wade decision, which made abortion legal in the US. What they should do to settle the matter once and for all is to hold a nationwide "abortion - yes, abortion - no" referendum in which only women can take part

MsG
Thank goodness no European country ever had such Draconian laws based on religion until very recently eh?