Al Worden, NASA Astronaut and ETPS graduate

Today, Apollo astronaut Al Worden passed away. I had the pleasure of seeing him at Farnborough Air Show 2018 when he opened up the USA pavilion on the first day and handed over the Stars and Stripes he and Apollo crews took into space, to Air Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier.

Al Worden also attended the Empire Test Pilot School and graduated in 1965.

RIp sir

The astronauts were always my hero's when I was growing up, used to watch the missions and then the splashdowns on telly.

RIP, Sir.

When you knowingly sit down on top of the largest non-nuclear bomb mankind has invented then it takes a special kind of courage. Space exploration was the big thing as I was growing up and it fascinated me - it still does. Those who were chosen were to my eyes special and I would have given anything to join them.

Now they are beginning to pass away and that makes me sad. My respects to you sir and may you rest in peace.

When you knowingly sit down on top of the largest non-nuclear bomb mankind has invented then it takes a special kind of courage. Space exploration was the big thing as I was growing up and it fascinated me - it still does. Those who were chosen were to my eyes special and I would have given anything to join them.

Now they are beginning to pass away and that makes me sad. My respects to you sir and may you rest in peace.
I used to visit the science museum in Lahndun to stare at stuff in wonder, some of it rocket stuff, and I have also been fortunate enough to visit Cape Canaveral in Florida. To echo your comments; the early rockets were not a great advance from being huge fireworks with a couple, or three, blokes strapped in an alloy bucket with a couple of parachutes fitted. The main component of the heatshield on the early command modules was oak, yes, oak, wood, the same stuff dining tables is made from, not some fancy, whizzy fig, techno space alloy. I have the greatest respect for anyone who would willingly go up in one of those.

kimmi851

Old-Salt
This is very sad news, he was a lovely bloke when The Infamous Mini Kimmi blagged her way in to his talk at Farnborough Airshow. He did great work trying to keep the idea of space travel going.

Latest Threads