Al-sweady inquiry.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nine years after the alleged events,£15m to get it going,three years after initial decision to commence,estimated final cost £25m

http://www.alsweadyinquiry.org/

• Like Like x 2
  2. I will try not to be but my question still stands a investigation of the type will always take a long time and cost money surely its better that we take that cost to clear our good name rather than brush it aside?

Unless you beleive in th inherrent goodness of the British army and feel that any aqusations of this type can be disgraded simply on the reasoning that we are the good guys and wouldnt do this sort of thing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. From the BBC site;

The Saville Inquiry into the deaths of 13 people on Bloody Sunday has lasted 12 years and cost £195m, making it the longest and most expensive public inquiry in UK history.

Opinion is split over whether the inquiry has been an essential examination of one of the most infamous events of the Northern Ireland Troubles or a pointless waste of money.

Earlier this year, Northern Ireland Justice Minister David Ford said the inquiry had "enriched lawyers but not necessarily achieved anything for the families".

And what did that achieve?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tried Google Translate but came back as gibberish. Are you missing keys from your keyboard?

Sent from ma hoose.

5. Nine years on,witnesses with agendas,lawyers cashing in..........and to paraphrase what some ex-squaddie was saying this morning "civilians sitting at home now cannot make judgements about what was happening at that time"

• Like Like x 4
  6. shockingly, you may find that the ministers comments are politically self-serving, and may represent a part of an interpretation of the truth.

i know, take a seat, some deep breaths and you'll be ok in a couple of minutes.

the unpleasent truth for the minister is that, apart from two 'fallout' issues of the Saville Inquiry - that of compensation and criminal prosecutions - the families of those killed on BS are reasonably happy with the results of the inquiry, there is now little cry of 'cover-up' or ' pre-planned masacre', just an understanding that it was the result of a snowballing of malice by a very few, a ****-up by more, and moral cowardice by a much greater number.

you can, imv, have a legitimate discussion about whether the whole thing needed to have cost £100m, but it would be unwise to suggest that it achieved nothing at all - because its not true.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Have you got verbal norovirus?

8. Seconded Vvaannmmaann, no risk claim from money grubbing thieves (lawyers and those raising the accusations). Those that think this is an appropriate response should foot the bill themselves the liberal twerps. The whole issue just makes me more grumpy than usual.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perhaps we could kill two birds with one stone here and expand the scope of the inquiry to look at the behaviour of our political leaders also.

10. well one would have hoped that the RMP would have conducted a thorough investigation at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If I was to take a guess, I would imagine that the RMP met a wall of silence and lack of full cooperation from those units involved. Also a time lag between being informed and arrival at an op base to try to recover forensics and crime scene photos etc.

This would have made it v difficult to get to the real truth. Who would come forward in an infantry unit and say that they witnessed murder or torture by other unit members.

As I said, only my guess, not an informed statement.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1