Al-Shabab militant base 'attacked' by "white soldiers" on coast of Somalia

Islamist fighters in southern Somalia say Western forces have launched a night-time raid on one of their bases.

The militant group al-Shebab told the BBC "white soldiers" had arrived by boat at the port of Barawe and rebels had repulsed them, losing a fighter.

No-one has admitted the attack. US and French special forces have carried out raids in Somalia in recent years.

BBC News - Al-Shabab militant base 'attacked' on coast of Somalia

Not much else on this "attack" anywhere else on the web; it'd be interesting to learn where this one came from....

The Beeb also said (I know, I know) that the attackers also had heli support...which is nice. It's about time a firm slap was delivered.

On my God! A racist attack on a poor war torn country. It's horrific. Human rights have been abused. DFID must send a billion dollars in aid immediate. The navy must sent a battleship, er, corvette, er, patrol boat to protect these peoples human rights. It's outrageous!

MOGADISHU - Foreign special forces in an attack helicopter staged a nighttime raid on a key base of Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab, the insurgents said Saturday, claiming the assault had failed.

"The enemy of Allah tried to surprise the mujahedeen commanders with a night attack using a military helicopter, but they were taught a lesson and they have failed," Mohamed Abu Suleiman, the Shebab commander in the southern Somali port of Barawe, told AFP.

Witnesses said commandos -- presumed to be from a Western nation -- rappelled from the helicopter as they tried to storm a house belonging to a senior Shebab commander.

"Our mujahedeen fighters inside the house fought back and the cowards ran away," Suleiman added.

Witnesses reported heavy gunfire as the helicopter hovered overhead.

"I woke to the sound of the helicopter above the neighbourhood, then a few minutes later, there was fighting, gunfire broke out for about 10-15 minutes," a local resident said, who asked not to be named.

"We don't know what exactly happened, but it was an organised attack targeting the house where some Al-Shebab commanders were."

Foreign special forces attack Shebab Somali base

Can JDAM's grab a couple bods and take them back for questioning?

From my mobile
Of course, they do it all the time in Afghanistan!

Can JDAM's grab a couple bods and take them back for questioning?
Erm...the staircase fell down on the suspects while they were being extracted....

Rodney2q

I feel a "balcony" story coming on here folks.

Yeah, I was down there "in the shit" mate. Don't like to talk about it though, know what I mean?

"Our mujahedeen fighters inside the house fought back and the cowards ran away," Suleiman added.

These are the brave fighters who shoot women and children I take it....

I think "Our mujahedeen fighters inside the house hid behind the women and children, occasionally firing out of the windows into the air until the bad men went away of their own accord" is probably nearer the truth...

Rodney2q

Sorry, it was me and a Section of my monkey brethren. A night time route signing mishap in Kenya on ASKARI THUNDER.

Thought we were in one location, completely lost, knocked on a locals mud hut 'door' to request assistance and all hell broke loose and we made tracks.

The helo was actually our 2 knackered LR 110's. The 'helo' sound must have been confused with the space heater disintegrating in the trailer.

It was like a really crappy re-make of of Black Hawk Down.

I'm ok though, thanks for asking.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Who dunnit then?

Yanks, Frogs, Brits, Israelis?
Who cares? Just keep on doing it and keep them guessing - play them at their own game. If the country that did it is mentioned all that would happen is the do-gooders would beseige the government involved and give the insurgents/ terrs/poor underdogs* a target country. Keep at them and keep theDeon the back foot.

* pick your definition

BBC reporting that Al-shabab terrorists sorry Islamic Fighters claiming British commander killed with 4 SAS and a Turk wounded.

Obviously pants but interesting choice of associate being a fellow muslim country. Has Turkey upset them?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
BBC reporting that Al-shabab terrorists sorry Islamic Fighters claiming British commander killed with 4 SAS and a Turk wounded.

Obviously pants but interesting choice of associate being a fellow muslim country. Has Turkey upset them?
Shows what tools they are if they were Brits and they can't even ID the likely unit properly...my guess is they're fishing trying to get someone to deny it...but it's hardly going to have been a boat troop...tossers can't even do their research properly...