Al-Qaeda seeks Iraq uprising support

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Firstly, heres hoping that the nut-bag is very dissapointed.
    secondly, how do we get across to the followers of these people that their leaders' desire is for power and not for the good of the followers of islam?

3. Most of them get it. Unfortunately the ones that get it don't have the guns.

Besides, I have doubts that the shia will embrace al Queda after they destroyed so many mosques and shrines.
  4. 'The Royal Institute of International Affairs issued a report yesterday arguing that although al-Qaida remained a powerful group its support was waning. The US-led response to the 2001 attacks had enhanced its reputation among radical Muslims but "seriously undermined" its ability to recruit, organise or raise funds, the report, titled Al-Qaida, Five Years On, said. It also argued that the group's attacks in Saudi Arabia and Jordan had killed Muslims and had therefore alienated many in the Islamic world.

The report said al-Qaida was being eclipsed in some parts of the Arab world by non-violent Islamic groups. It had also been outshone in the eyes of Arab militants by the recent military exploits of the Lebanese Shia group Hizbullah.',,1867602,00.html
  5. Let's hope this becomes a pattern. I will remain cynical, but guardedly hopeful.
  6. Knowing a lot of the people at Chatham House, that precis sounded a bit fishy to me- so I went looking. I suggest you read the whole report, A_J. It's not as cut and dried as the daily journal of Neue Arbeit would have you believe.