Al Qaeda says short of food and arms in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Al Qaeda says short of food and arms in Afghanistan
    Reuters
    June 12, 2009, 1:12 am

Al Qaeda says short of food, arms in Afghanistan
    June 11, 2009, 11:30 pm
    ISTANBUL (Reuters) - The leader of al Qaeda in Afghanistan says militants are short of food, weapons and other supplies needed to fight foreign forces there, a Web site linked to the group said.

Al Qaeda has been severely weakened in Afghanistan since U.S.-led forces toppled their Taliban hosts in response to the September 11, 2001 attacks. A gap may also have opened up between al Qaeda and the Afghan Taliban, many of whom blame Osama bin Laden's group for causing the U.S.-led invasion, analysts say.

"In Afghanistan, we have a severe supply deficit. The main reason for the weakness in operations is insufficient supplies. Many mujahideen sit and wait and cannot fight for lack of supplies," Mustafa Abu al-Yazid said on a Web site used by top al Qaeda leaders and other militants to post statements.

Nearly 90,000 U.S. and international troops are currently helping around 160,000 Afghan forces battle a Taliban insurgency across southern and eastern Afghanistan, but al Qaeda's presence and influence is thought to be concentrated along the mountainous eastern border with Pakistan.

"If a mujahid (holy fighter) does not have the money to get weapons, food, drink and the materials for jihad, he cannot fight jihad," Yazid said. "Fear Allah and be ambitious in waging jihad through (donating) goods."

Yazid called on Turks to provide money and supplies for al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan, appealing to their common Muslim identity, and called for Turks to pray for the militants.
    More on the link
    http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/5646396/al-qaeda-says-short-food-arms-afghanistan/

2. Why do I think that's a trick on ISAF?

3. Short of food, I can see.

But short of arms? Balls. If half of what I read is to be believed, the mountains in Afghan are made of old Soviet hardware covered with powdered goat turds. Sorry, I have a hard time with the idea there's an AK-and-RPG famine. Or that there could possibly be one in the next hundred years.

4. Im sure our government will send them food to stop them starving to death.

5. I can see it now, a disaster and emergencies appeal for food aid for AQ and the Taliban!

6. I was just thinking the same thing. Definately sounds like a new Blue Peter appeal is needed. They could have the totaliser in the shape of an RPG or a minaret.

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

If the Turks help, that could make their EU accession negotiations interesting.

8. Quite simple really, they know that the US deployment to South Helmand is going to hit them hard and they will probably run across the border. They are just getting their excuses in first.

9. We will probably go further and suggest that their Human Rights are being infringed - prior to them being granted asylum in the UK.

10. Yes, but it's OUR government. Hence they'll probably send in millions of quids worth of bacon butties and ham salads.

13. Turkish criminals might help them if they threaten the Heroin trade. But I think most Turks and the Turkish Government will ignore their pleas.

14. perhaps we can send 200 MP's over on a fact finding junket to Al Qaeda ... and when they get grabbed for ransom ... we pay Al Qaeda NOT to return the feckers!

15. Agreed.