Al-Qaeda Charges Sat Phone Service To HM Government

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Oct 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BRITISH diplomats had a satellite phone stolen in Baghdad...and only noticed it was missing after a bill for FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS was run up.

The invoice shows thousands of phone calls made to Yemen and Saudi Arabia, bases for al-Qaeda terror networks. MI6 spy chiefs fear the "Thuraya" phone was used by insurgents to plot a wave of suicide bombings across Iraq.

Now furious Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has launched a major investigation into how the theft was allowed to happen - and why nothing was done until the huge bill was uncovered.

OUR ENVOYS LOSE SAT PHONE, IRAQI REBELS FIND IT & RUN UP £500,000 BILL CALLING AL-QAEDA IN YEMEN AND SAUDI ARABIA
    NO-ONE NOTICED FOR TWO YEARS
    Exclusive By Rupert Hamer, Defence Correspondent
    http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16310310%26method=full%26siteid=62484%26headline=our-envoys-lose-sat-phone--iraqi-rebels-find-it---run-up--pound-500-000-bill-calling-al-qaeda-in-yeme-name_page.html

2. I think somebody is in the sh*te.

3. couldent make it up lol

4. The numbers on that phone bill would have been useful... especially if someone had noticed sooner.

5. Be nice to see who signed it out last!

£500k on the chitty, gulp!

6. A lot of 900 line calls to " chat with red-hot coeds who want to meet you now!"

Foreign Ministry has been warned that failure promptly to pay the bill could adversely affect its credit rating.

7. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Whilst our forces in Iraq get 20 minutes per week in a shared shack with no privacy to call their loved ones. Nice juxtaposition!

8. This explains the heavy breather called Osama who rings me at odd hours wanting to know what I'm wearing. 8O

9. Apparently it was lost in transport. The courier company who had been assigned to deliver it lost it. Why did no one bother to notice this? Why was it delivered by a courier company? Why was it not tranported by Embassy staff?

A_S

10. If I worked for a civvy firm and lost my company half a million I'd be issued a P45 in short order. Any civil servants going to be sacked over this one ? Thought not. They're incompetent because they can get away with it.

11. Hmmm...anybody else think there might have been "other reasons" not to cut off the line?

12. if you believe they'de "forgotten" about it, you'll believe anything. Hope non of the traced calls bring up any int ref attacks/deaths on our forces, heads will roll!!!!

13. Something in this story doesn't add up.

These phone supposedly racked up such a high bill was unnoticed for 18 months? :roll: However witless you think civs are, those that control purse strings are not normally that willing to sign away such a cost. I just can't see BE Diplo's 'not realising' that this important piece of equipment was missing or they're as clever as Orville the Duck. Wish I could find another newpaper or periodical with the same report to clarify.

14. The bill works out at just shy of 28,000 quid a month. Add that to the fact that someone, somewhere must surely have done an inventory check at some point and MyssL probably has a point.

Failing that, does anyone know what the civil service spends on duck food?

15. Oh the irony!!

As for not acting on the bill, well lets say some users have carte blanche and this bill would be normal so I wouldnt string up the poor civil serpent just yet! However someone failed to pass on that it was missing so action could be taken, poor accounting? not that special kinda people really account for anything :roll: .

What was the story not so long ago about "cough" certain users having to justify their budgets?