Al Qaeda - Bum bomb

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Deadreckon, Sep 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Juist listening to report on BBC 4. Apparently an attempted assassination of a Saudi Prince by Al Qaeda almost succeeded because the device was hidden inside the body of the bomber who successfully passed through a metal detector prior to the attack!

Forensic scientists believe the device was detonated remotely.

Security experts believe this may neutralise most airport security measures and are worried Al Qaeda will attempt to repeat method.
    Original incident

Bum Bomb article Link
  2. Most jails (in Canada at least )have a device that looks like a mechanical bull which prisoners sit on upon entering to ensure no metal is tucked up their arrses (guns, knives, needles, etc). If these things are sensitive enough to detect the sharp end of a syringe, surely they could detect wires, timers, caps,etc. WHy they dont have these at airports , etc is beyond me
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Oh, great. **** probing to get through airport security now. I'm giving up flying
  4. with a bit of creativity i'm sure you could get pax to pay a surchage for the..erm extra security measure. :lol:
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Just reported on news at ten. Walk through xray machines at an airport near you, á la Total Recall?
  6. Link to BBC article here
  7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

what a pain in the arse.
  8. From the States:

When your British terrorist Richard Reid came over here with bombs in his shoes the TSA started requiring shoe removal.

I shudder to think what TSA will do now but it might involve gloves and lube.

Looking on the bright side however, at my age I am supposed to have prostate exams every two years so airline flights might kill two birds with one stone. I just would not want to have a TSA screener who enjoys doing it.
  9. I know. The amount of times I've been caught out sitting on that bull.
  10. Well, if this comes to pass, flight travel among the gay community will go through the roof...
  11. Well it seems, not for the first time the septics are late on the scene. CBS news video report on the incident here

In a surprising degree of sophistication Al Qaeda had an animated cartoon to illustrate how the attack took place!

The septics also prefer to call him the Trojan Bomber though I still think Bum Bomber has more of a ring to it! :wink:
  12. There will be piles of the gay type persons lining up to get one of those

"Come and get the bang of your life"
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Hell no, I'm giving up driving !
    I'll have an airport built in the back garden.

Or maybe just a departures terminal.
  14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh no, I'm going for the 'frequent flyer' thing.
  15. As someone pointed out, this isn't much of a threat for three reasons: 1) you can't stuff a lot of explosives into a body cavity, 2) detonation is, um, problematic, and 3) the human body can stifle an explosion pretty effectively (think of someone throwing himself on a grenade to save his friends).