Al Jazeera TV channel in UK................

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheBigUn, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Al Jazeera starting to broadcast their TV channel in UK from 15 Nov.Link Here
  2. You've gotta be kidding?

Can we blow up the mast?
  3. Didn't David Frost go to work for them?
  4. They have got some major players working for them. David Frost, Rageeh Omaar (sp) etc.
  5. Yeah, seem to remember he agreed to a while back. Never seen it though so can't say for definate.
  6. Can already see them on sky in one of the later channels...
  7. Will it be in English??

I can't speak arabic :cry:
  8. Isn't Darren Jordan fronting the UK version?
  9. Why ? Al Jazeera is not an extremist run organisation. I'm looking forward to having it available here in English.
  10. That was the other one I couldn't remember. Well done and as a pat on the back, I am moving your card to the back of the duties list. (weekday only)
  11. This is the international version, to be broadcast in English.

They've snaffled a large number of UK journos, David Frost, Darren Jordan, Rageh Omar, Shiulie Ghosh and the local guy who used to front Granada news up here.

Its only fair to give them a chance, they cant be any worse than The Network America Trusts (period).
  12. why not? they are no where near as reactionary or as extreamist as fox news.
  13. I would assume they have as much right to broadcast as any other news service (and as you say DrS they are no worse than some!) but they do have a reputation of bias towards muslim extremist groups.

Can we rely on other groups to monitor their broadcasts for equality, or should we just storm the building and create the first Arrse news service now? :)
  14. Darren is a graduate of RMAS, and a former JDF Officer , as I dimly remember. They also seem to have some quality lined up for the new venture.

I think it's worth looking in and giving them a go.
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

What's the problem? Al Jazeera is a perfectly respectable news outlet, which broadcasts from a broadly Arab perspective, pretty much like the BBC broadcasts from a British perspective (oh yes it does!) and Fox News broadcasts from a Banjo-strumming, moonshine brain-damaged, Appalachian redneck perspective. George W Bush and his mates may not like it, but they probably wouldn't like the Granada Men and Motors Channel either.