Al Jazeera hits the Airwaves

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Nov 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here

£11.99 a month Sven.

2. Thanks PTP

Needless to say I can't afford this :( :( :(

3. If it was free to air on Sky, I'd watch on occasion for the alternate view, but I have just found out that you can still get a 2 litre botle of merrydown for a quid fifty so I'll be down to the offy..

4. It's........................great...........................they......................have...........................even...............................given....................Sir
    David.......................Frost....................a.......................job.

Nice.................to...................see...................they.................are................not......................discriminating..................against.................those
    with.......................speech.....................difficulties.

"The station was launched 10 years ago, funded by the Emir of Qatar who had a vision of an unbiased Arabic TV channel, independent of governments, striving to present all points of view.

Many of its early staff came from the BBC World Service, and they retained their notions of objectivity and balance. "

So says the BBC......

5. Aljazeera has a lot of ex-BBC staff, it was offering bigger ticket contracts over a longer period during a time when the BEEB was shedding staff and turning programme production over to "independents".

Aljazeera should also be available on mobile telephones shortly via a UK company www.vidistream.tv at £5 per month plus the GPRS charges. (you'll need a smartphone and a suitable tariff plan).

(edited to get the URL in badly)

6. is is worth it ? would the contents be baised with anti western drivel ?

7. Its free to air on
    Aljazeera International Channel (11034 V) started reular programming on HotBird 6 @ 13° East
    Aljazeera International Channel (11509 V) started reular programming on Astra 1KR @ 19.2° East
    Aljazeera International Channel (11681 V) started reular programming on Eurobird 1 = 28.5 East
    Aljazeera International Channel (12322 H) started reular programming on Thor 3 @ 0.8° West
    Aljazeera International Channel (12399 H) started reular programming on Thor 3 @ 0.8° West

Might be a bit better than Euronews!

8. They also have a news website, http://english.aljazeera.net/News, which looks surprisingly like the old BBC news site.

As for bias, hell, there're all biased just try watching Fox or CNN for a day or so. My Grandfather always read the Telegraph and the Morning Star, so at least he knew where the bias was coming from. At least getting it from the source eliminates one lot of spin.

9. It is free-to-air, Sky channel 514, just up from Fox.

First impressions, very slick, high production values, a lot of recognisable faces from ITN, Sky and the Beeb.

As for bias, they seem to have gone out of their way to seem fair and balanced, in fact a bit too much from inital impressions. I couldnt detect any anti-Americanism at all.

Also cant imagine them showing gore and the like at all, it looks far too glossy for that sort of stuff.

They did an interesting piece from Zimbabwe a few days ago showing the effects of hyper-inflation which was quite informative.

David Frost is on tonight at interviewing a VIP...which is none other than our Great Leader, who no doubt jumped at the opportunity.

I wonder if they'll survive though as its 'bias' was its main selling point and if they water that down then they're no better than CNN really.

10. Its rather good and available in China huzzah! Thank Christ I no longer have to juggle between two dimensional tabloid Sky and 'our presenters are so good looking you don't need news' CNN

11. The BBC tried to set up an Arabic satellite channel but the Saudis kept interfering with the editorial content, so they gave up => about 200 staff were laid off and the majority went to Al-Jazeera which was just starting up.

The new version of the website is glossy and has good coverage of the Middle East, but as Taz says, it is a bit like another version of the BBC. This was always the fear of the staff at Al-Jazeera (Arabic) - that the English version would end up as a watered-down version of Western channels.

They have also disposed of all the old news articles on the website, which is tremendously annoying as they had a good archive of news going back three of four years. They have also ditched the opinion columns.

Haven't seen the satellite channel yet but hoping not to be disappointed.

12. Thanks Taz

Just watched a little of it - seems quite good. Switched to watch the 1 o clock news on the Beeb but will spend the rest of the day evaluating it.

Yes I know I'm a sad git 8)

13. Not sad at all Sven , I'm a fan of Al-Jaz, simply because I get my ME news without it being pre-treated by spin.

It also gives a different viewpoint , and in all the time I've been watching it , I've yet to see evidence of institutionalised ainti-Western spin.