Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

BBC News Friday, 12 October 2007

Gore and UN panel win Nobel prize

Climate change campaigner Al Gore and the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have been jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
The committee said they had been chosen for "their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change".

Mr Gore, 59, was vice-president under Bill Clinton and has since devoted his efforts to environmental campaigning.

The UN's panel of 3,000 scientists is the top authority on global warming

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7041082.stm

Will he use it as a launch pad to derail Hillary?
I understand why the Nobel Prize committee gave him and the UN the peace prize as through Live 8 and what not environmentalism has a higher profile. Also the link between climate change and stability is nothing new!

Edited: For clarity.

castlereagh said:
have to understand why the Nobel Prize committee gave him and the UN the peace prize as through Live 8 and what not environmentalism has a higher profile.
I normally agree with a lot of what you say but in this case I have no idea what you mean. :oops:

Ord_Sgt said:
castlereagh said:
have to understand why the Nobel Prize committee gave him and the UN the peace prize as through Live 8 and what not environmentalism has a higher profile.
I normally agree with a lot of what you say but in this case I have no idea what you mean. :oops:

:oops: Sorry, a serious case of bad editing there!

Taking it a stage further I was listening to the BBC World Service yesterday and there was a program about 'population control'. I was shocked to be told the worlds population is growing at 1 1/2 million per week!! When they put it into the context of the resources needed for these people it put my plastic bag and glass bottle recycling into context.

I think Gores program on climate change was interesting and really has done a huge amount to bring the problem it to the attention of many. I am yet to be convinced of the cause though.

As I've said it appears as if population control is the real key to the problem, assuming its us causing it, rather than the rest of us just trying to be more efficient.

I'll try and find a link to the program.

How is he going to pick up his award ? Fly in his personal jet to Norway ? I hope he rows personally. Apart from that I have no time for the idiot - anyone who is not willing to look at the other side of the argument and have a reasoned debate should'nt be winning anything like a nobel prize.

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

castlereagh said:
I understand why the Nobel Prize committee gave him and the UN the peace prize as through Live 8 and what not environmentalism has a higher profile. Also the link between climate change and stability is nothing new!

Now that would be interesting. He could use this as you say because the world may just be ready to vote in the Green ticket due to recent events.

You're not a spin Doctor are you Cast?

mediumwhiteamericano said:
castlereagh said:

Now that would be interesting. He could use this as you say because the world may just be ready to vote in the Green ticket due to recent events.

You're not a spin Doctor are you Cast?
No! But I did make Alistair Campbell blush and get all tongue tied once.

Grim irony in that the Nobel Prizes (especially the peace prize) are awarded as a result of Alfred Nobel having left much of his vast fortune to found the Nobel Trust for the purpose.

Alfred was of course the inventor of dynamite. He also owned Bofors.

Awarding a Nobel Prize to a cynical politician attempting to boost his flagging career off the Climate Change bandwagon and some questionable Stats. seems equally perverse.

He's still a cnut though, and a sophist, dissembling, manuipulative one at that.

castlereagh said:
mediumwhiteamericano said:
Which one then? Tony Blair or that little freak who used to Spin Doctor Gordon Brown?
Campbell worked for Blair! Not even a claim to fame that one should even really admit to! :oops:
No No. I was asking if you were TB as he was capable of shutting Campbell up. Also, the fat Spin Doctor belonging to GB hated AC with a passion and the feeling was mutual.

Sorry for the confusion.

Given that a British court has ruled that there are at least 11 major factual inaccuracies in his propaganda film, all this goes to prove is that the Nobel peace prize has just become a political nonsense. Hell, they've even given it to terrorists in the past!

ugly

LE
Never mind the Peace Prize, they've bunged literature at Doris Lessing FFS. The silly rabid old anti-apartheid campaigner par excellence was heard on Radio 4 describing Mugabe, who she worshipped in the seventies, as a disappointment.

For pity's sake, that is rather like describing Hitler as a bit of a let-down.

It's an almost purely political statement to discomfort G W Bush.