Al Bundy's Time off

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Hairyhaw, Apr 16, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my dates through for my BTC or whatever its called now we're on the new system.
    Outside the TA, as well as being a student dosser, I work part-time in a well known footwear retail outlet (no jokes about sniffing shoes please!).
    I spoke to my manager about getting time off for it (unpaid, of course), and basically after some humming and hawing she said she wasn't keen on letting me go as the summer sale starts a week after I'm due to go and she needs all hands on deck. I've been with this company for six years, so am wise enough to know that, while its a fairly important time in the company calender, past experience has made me form the opinion that its not that important I'm there.
    I could see about knocking my BTC back a few weeks, but I've already had to do this once due to injury, so I'm not hugely up for doing it again.
    What do you reckon then? Should I tell her to shove her job up her arrse or is there a way that'll keep everyone happy?

2. have a look at the sabre site and ACAS - both will give you a few pointers - as well as a place for you to direct your manager.

The other thought is to get hold of the HR policy and find out what it says about being in the TA or other reserve forces - if she is discriminating against you because you are in the TA  - do them for all they are worth

3. msr

msr LE

HairyHaw,

You need to look at your priorities. I would suggest that they are

1) Family
    2) Job
    3) TA

and then make your decision accordingly...

Cheers,
    msr

4. Hmmm, point taken but I regard (well, this could be stretching it a bit) studying for my degree as the job bit and the salesman stuff as a means of scraping some extra cash for jollies.  ;)
    Know what you mean though as the exact same priorities were outlined by an orficer on my induction.
    l_g- have contacted sabre so we'll see what they say.

5. I'm having the same trouble with college and i don't know what to do

6. True but hes a student with (what I take it as ) a part time job selling shoes, not exactly a stellar career

My question is, how much do you actually like this job and are you bovvered ?

Disclaimer: I would like to point out at this stage I am not in the TA so my opinions are most probably arrse

7. I wouldn't class the T.A as a career, or the means to a career so the obvious suggestion would be to put education before your part-time activities.