AK47

I would, having had a blat with it on the JWIC in Brunei it might be as tinny as you get but it worked and it had the canny commie knack of being able to use our 7.62 rounds. Fire power ok and no shortage around so no need to clean them! :D

slr
ak
then a1
a2
slr then ak
the a1 was a piece of poo

Depends upon the application:

Mid/long range (eg Afghan):

SLR
A2
AK

CP/Urban/Mid range:

SLR
AK
A2

Para FAL is the ideal for me (or the new HK417.....)

SLR

Fast Car

Jet Plane

Moonraker

FN FAL with a SUSAT - best of all worlds

I had an AK47 for a short while and had the opertunity to give it plenty at fake targets - it did get stoppages, it was far from accurate ansd it cannot be used in the prone position because of the ridiculous magazine.

I had no probs with the A1 on ops, so I would opt for the A2 over the AK anyday.

pimpernel said:
I would, having had a blat with it on the JWIC in Brunei it might be as tinny as you get but it worked and it had the canny commie knack of being able to use our 7.62 rounds. Fire power ok and no shortage around so no need to clean them! :D
Err sorry, it didn't. It takes the 7.62x39 (warsaw pact) round and cannot fire the 7.62x51 NATO round - just won't fit.

Compare the two in this picture, (7.62 Nato is labelled as 308 Win i.e civvy spec.) and you will see that there is no way you could chamber the round. Army myth I'm afraid.

SLR
A2
AK

Although 4(T)'s breakdown has much merit. It's that CQB bullpup problem again...

A2
SLR
AK

If you taking a ak to war you must be part of the forces of darkness so youre going to lose anyway :D

I know a fella who put a 7.92 into a GPMG and tried to fire it - spent a good few hours sweating while trying to get it un-jammed! Luckily the threat was low - for him - I had an L37 to play with! 8)

I have seen someone try to load a ak 74 with ak 47 mag .Nearly got it too fed as well :D .Full marks for physical strength nil for skill at arms :D

Rainbow-Warrior said:
I know a fella who put a 7.92 into a GPMG and tried to fire it - spent a good few hours sweating while trying to get it un-jammed! Luckily the threat was low - for him - I had an L37 to play with! 8)
quote="Rainbow-Warrior"]I know a fella who put a 7.92 into a GPMG and tried to fire it
WHY WOULD HE WANT TO DO THAT ??

A2 (its what Have) AK if i could pick one up as a spare (No Susat, B*llocks to that)

None of the above...

Yes, I have plenty of experience with a variety of Kalashnikovs of Russian, CHICOM, and other manufacture and have found them all to be inaccurate past 250 meters and rather uncomfortable to use being not exactly the most ergonomic design... they are rugged of course and fairly reliable... prone to rust however and the ammunition one finds is nasty corrosive stuff.

Only fired the initial offering of the SA-80 and found it to be accurate... just chock full of other problems. Know that later iterations corrected the issues but when it's all said and done, the weapon is still a bullpup which is something I'm not very used to or comfortable with... haven't found one such design yet which is as easy to change magazines in as a conventional weapon, especially in the prone.

My choice would have to be the good old M16A2... it is reliable, phenominally accurate for a 5.56 as long as there isn't much wind, and most important of all... the rifle which I spent the bulk of my years in service carrying and shooting. I know the system intimately which makes a world of differance during an engagement.

So you're going with the M16A2 because 'It's what you used for x years'. That's probably why no-one else here has brought it up. You're choice I suppose...

Those of us brought up on the SA80 probably don't even notice most of the 'problems' with bullpup weapons, simply because we are used to working around them. In my short time in the mob I've been lucky enough to have a go on all three of the choices. Can't profess to be an expert on the SLR or AK, but in the few times I fired them the SLR just seemed more substantial than the other choices. It felt like it was designed to do damage in a smart, soldier like and uniform manner. However, I'd probably go for the A2 because it's what I'm comfortable with.

For the record
A2
SLR
AK

1.A2 (the way the SA80 sould have been all along)
2.SLR (Even though it broke my specs first time I fired it as a recruit with the rear sight...in a tube range)
3.Ak..not that i like it...(only fired it once thought it was gash!)

Think the A2 is the Best Tabbing,OBUA...and anything Veh mounted..

I always found the SLR better for combat-style shooting, despite the long length.

Being 6ft 5 with freakishly long arms and legs, I could shoot far better in the kneeling and standing positions with the SLR. The short bullpup design of the SA80 meant that my knees and elbows never mated in a comfortable yet stable kneeling position, and standing I always felt that I was having to pull my arms in too much to be comfortable just to get a firm grip on the weapon.

In the prone position, there wasn't that much practical difference in accuracy, provided you compare iron sight to iron sight, etc. I don't think it makes much difference really whether the 3 rounds in the targets chest are in a 3 inch or 5 inch group.

And, like bigmac, I had confidence the weapon would do what it said on the tin.

AKs are reliable and fine for close in, but I'd prefer something with better design values at anything over 200m.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp The NAAFI Bar 132
D The NAAFI Bar 72
ZRX61 Weapons, Equipment & Rations 0