Paint & Tools AK Interactive Acrylic WW2 IJN Aircraft colours boxed set

daz

LE
s-l1600.jpg

Here’s a first for me, a paint review, in this case it’s the AK Interactive Acrylic WW2 IJN Aircraft colours boxed set

This set comes in a sturdy end opening box with a pull out tray, unlike the Vallejo equivalent that comes with a top opening flap and loose bottles – inside the box, the set comprises of 8 bottles of the follow paints:

_ AK2061 J3 HAI-RO (Grey)
_ AK2062 J3 SP (Amber Grey)
_ AK2063 D1 Deep Green Black
_ AK2064 D2 Green Black
_ AK2065 C2 Trainer Yellow
_ AK2066 Q1 Anti-Glare Blue-Black
_ AK2067 M3 (M) Mitsubishi Interior Green
_ AK2068 M3 (N) Nakajima Interior Green

Colour matching can be quite hard to quantify, as it depends on the source you use, however, these paint do seem to be a close match to real life examples, so I’m happy with them.

As to the quality of the paint, I’m impressed, I’ve only tested the Nakajima Interior Green so far, but I must say, it spayed wonderfully without any thinners added at around 8-9 PSI, with no clogging in evidence – normally, using Vallejo at that pressure means using thinners/retarders and a lot of tip cleaning, which is a bit of a pain.

The paint was spayed with an el cheapo airbrush rather than anything fancy, so anyone with a better airbrush, should archive great results – test shot below.

IMG_20180830_215706.jpg

Most online stockist seem to carry it in stock, prices range between £16 & £20 depending on if the sets on offer, even at £20, its worth the money if you’re building a WW2 IJN aircraft.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So, basically you recommending Vallejo paints then?
The only problem I have found with Tamiya is the paints tend to clog the nozzles of my airbrush.

daz

LE
So, basically you recommending Vallejo paints then?
The only problem I have found with Tamiya is the paints tend to clog the nozzles of my airbrush.
Its what I tend to use, however, the AK paint I just reviewed, I found fantastic to spray and I would certainly buy more as and when I need to restock depending on the colours, otherwise, yes, the default is Vallejo

Latest Threads