AK-47; Sixtieth Birthday.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by goodkurtz, Jul 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AK-47 Inventor: I Don't Lose Sleep

By MANSUR MIROVALEV Associated Press Writer

July 06,2007 | MOSCOW -- Sixty years after the AK-47 went into production, Mikhail Kalashnikov says he does not stay awake at night worrying about the bloodshed wrought by the world's most popular assault rifle.

"I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence," Kalashnikov said Friday at a ceremony marking the birth of the rifle, whose initials stand for "Avtomat Kalashnikov."

It was before he started designing the gun that he slept badly, worried about the superior weapons that Nazi soldiers were using with grisly effectiveness against the Red Army in World War II. He saw them at close range himself, while fighting on the front lines.

While hospitalized with wounds after a Nazi shell hit his tank in the 1941 battle of Bryansk, Kalashnikov decided to design an automatic rifle combining the best features of the American M1 and the German StG44.

"Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer," said Kalashnikov, frail but sharp at age 87. "I always wanted to construct agriculture machinery."

2. Arena did a documentary about Mikhail and his rifle many years ago, Ive still got it on VHS somewhere, he was unrepentant then about the weapons` use as he is now. I seem to remember him and his `oppos were knockin off mooses (spelling) with em....good drills.
  3. well, i suppose that sums it all. ak is a bit "agricultural"
    but a bloody fine weapon after all. i,ve never fired one personally, but i,ve seen them fired.
    did,nt jeremy clarkson (top gear fellow) also do a programme on the bbc, about the AK47? about 3 or 4 years ago?
  4. i feel sorry for Mikhail Kalashnikov, of all the millions of AK's getting made every year (for decades) and hes never had any monetary royalties.

if only a penny for each one and he would be a millionaire.

edit to add >> although he has seem to done ok out of endorsing this product :D

5. Wasn't his AK design based on the new German assault rifle of the time?
  6. yes, he copied the same concept, but the internal working mechanism is different.
  7. Why should he be? he just designed a bit of machinery it's not like he's stood behind and egging on the gang bangers/terrorists/gangsters is it?
  8. Bit hard, that one, since the spams hadn't entered the war by then (although their weapon did exist) and the SturmGewehr-44 wouldn't be designed and fielded for another few years yet...
  9. I think that article needs to be edited a little and read with rose tinted glasses:

I do not think he jumped out of bed in 1941 and built it then and there! It probably had several design changes before the first prototype was built and finely went into production in 1947, 6 years later.

Here is a differant version again:

10. A post-war Russki weapon but it's all the Germans fault...oops sorry 'nazis' makes them sound more evil doesn't it. :roll:
  11. a gun isn't designed to kill people it is designed "to discharge a missile at high velocity" can't blame him for people discharging it at other people!
  12. Quite right Bretta, the interviewer quizzed him about it being the peasant/terrorist weapon and a bit about the Commie Nationalists holing up the Russias parliament building (the White House?) in 91/92 I think, he obviously was defending the notion that the AK was a nutters weapon, and he pointed out the age old conundrum "If they didnt use my rifle they`d use some others buggers or sticks or stones".
  13. Plural "meeses" - isn't it?

I got a right bollocking from Stoatman and EX_STAB for that one on another thread last month. They say there's a huge difference in the internals, but don't explain beyond that.

On yet another thread, however -
    And finally, I heard John Keegan speaking a couple of years ago. By his estimate, AK47s have killed more people than all of the bombs dropped in all of the wars of the 20th Century.