AK 47 & 74

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Oct 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night I was watching one of the History channels documentaries on The Taliban.
    It showed the Russian invasion and subsequent fighting up to and including the US invasion.
    All the Russian troops carried the AK 74 and all the Mujaheddin and Taliban bar Bin Laden, carried the AK 47 with chest mounted magazines, Bin Laden has one of the Sub Machine Gun variants of the 74 with Red Magazine.
    Was the 74 the standard issue for all Soviet forces by then, I remember it coming into Group Soviet forces Germany in the 80's.
    john

2. Considering the Soviets went into Afgan in 78, there is a likelyhood, it would have been issued to some special units.

He carries the AKS-74U (I might be wrong) and again the time line would suggest that this weapon was avaliable in Afgan.

You have to remember that there where a lot of conscripts in Afgan and these guys where likely to be carrying the AK47, all the Muj did was take these weapons from the dead russians

3. Being an utter spotter wouldn't most of the weapons have been AKM rather than AK47

4. Ok spotter your correct :lol:

5. I read that the first pictures the west ever got of the AK74U was of one that taken by the mujahadein which somehow :wink: found its way to MI6/CIA.

Most of the squadki's where armed with AKM's at this point from what ive seen.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

ISTR that the first '74s came from dead Spetznaz to the west via them.

here:

from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/delta-force-the-sas-and-the-shadowy-war-of-misinformation-671355.html

7. Sorry to take this off topic,but I thought Tom Carew had been exposed as a bit of a fibber about aspects of his military/intelligence career? Happy to be corrected.

8. Reference 'Tom Carew', I read that he failed selection initially, on something fairly minor, was kept on in Hereford as part of 'demo' troop, failed a second time then fucked off. He may or may not have been to Afghanistan in some capacity.

9. Yes i read it in ghost force by Ken Connor. Cracking good read. Doesnt mention the boat house unfortunatly :(