AK 200 Ready to Rock

A quick search didn't find other threads, so perhaps this is new. Anyway coming to a third world country near you...

B

The Firearm Blog
Firearms not Politics

AK-200 rifle: The 21st Century AK

The next generation AK has finally been given a name: AK-200. Last year I posted photos of the prototype. It featured a 60 round magazine, folding stock, plenty of picatinny rails and a bipod/handguard.

The final model retains the rails and 60 round magazine but now uses what appears to be a folding skeleton-style stock and newly designed birdcage-style flash hider.

On Tuesday, the AK-200’s advanced characteristics were appreciated by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who visited the Izmash mechanical plant in the Russian Urals city of Izhevsk, where the legendary Kalashnikovs are currently assembled. Alexander Baditsa, an Izhmash spokesman, explains:

"The AK-200 is designed to contribute to a full-blown modernization of the Russian Armed Forces. Significantly, the new model is based on the AK-74, internationally known for its reliability and ease of use , the AK-200’s sophisticated design is fully in tune with new demands for waging modern warfare. The new Kalashnikov differs in weight and the magazine capacity, citing a 60-cartridge magazine the AK-200 is equipped with. It is safe to assume that the new Kalashnikov‘s characteristics are on a par with those of assault rifles currently used by NATO troops."
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/05/27/ak-200-rifle-the-21st-century-ak/

Boris3098 said:
Mutton dressed as Lamb.
Not quite, it's mutton dressed as Darth Vader.

Just another attempt at polishing a turd. A very simple, robust, reliable turd, but a turd nonetheless.

"Just another attempt at polishing a turd. A very simple, robust, reliable turd, but a turd nonetheless."

Well, Stoatman, that may be true. But I reckon getting shot by a round fired from that turd would tend to, well, sort of spoil one's day?

Especially as I seem to recall the 5.45mm rounds the Rooskies use have some very nasty terminal effects on hitting one's parts?

Just my two pence worth.

Tam

In the name of all that is unholy, tell me that thing isn't real?
Failing that, can anyone tell me how anyone could carry something that looks if it was designed by Jean Paul Gualtier's even more femme cousin?

I thought the concept for the Yanks' next long bangy thing was strange looking but that takes the whole bakery full of biscuits.

Tam

leveller said:
I dunno, seen worse.......... :p

8O 8O

A still from Blakes 7 I presume? Personally I'd sooner go into battle with a spear than be laughed off the field carrying that ludicrous fu*king abortion.
:x

TamH70 said:
Just another attempt at polishing a turd. A very simple, robust, reliable turd, but a turd nonetheless.
Well, Stoatman, that may be true. But I reckon getting shot by a round fired from that turd would tend to, well, sort of spoil one's day?

Especially as I seem to recall the 5.45mm rounds the Rooskies use have some very nasty terminal effects on hitting one's parts?

Just my two pence worth.

Tam
You know what, 5.56 NATO tends to be somewhat detrimental to health as well, but you still insist on banging on about the elephant gun on the optimum weapons thread. Whatever this new AK fires, however lethal it is, it's got to hit you first and the AK series are pretty crap at that. And how are you supposed to go prone with a 60rd mag?

Points at thread above this one and says,
"does the linked photy answer your question about going prone? And about the whole going prone thing, doing that with the SA80 platform still leaves your arse sticking up higher than what I remember when I was using the ol' SLR, or elephant gun as you call it."

Don't judge all AK variants by the standards of the original, as they have had at least as long to work on the design and build of the thing as we have with what turned out to be the SA80 A2

Then there's the AN94M, or Abakan, the long bangy thing that the top-line Rooskies use.
By all reports, and there has been a few, it is pretty damned accurate and more controllable on auto than our bullpup bangy thing as it has a pretty Gucci muzzle brake-type thing on its front end which is way more complex than the one on SA80 and has also a recoilling barrel arrangement.
We may end up saying hi to some nasties pointing those in ones general direction at some time in the future.

As for high cap magazines in general, ever heard of the C-Mag.?

One hundred rounds in one box with no massive increase in height of the thing.

My two cents

ttfn

Tam

Attachments