AK 105 gas port/plug

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by bigeye, May 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know anything about them? Is there a gas regulator as such - I can see no obvious sign other than some fluted holes on the gas port.
  2. bigeye,

I don't think ANY of the AK series has a gas regulator. I used a Zastava M21 SB in Iraq ( I believe a Serbian Copy of the 105 but chambered for 5.56 NATO) and it did not have a gas regulator. Mind you, it didn't jam either.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

no regulator on AK's they put the right amount of bang in it in the first place :)
  4. Thanks Guys. I kind of thought that was the case. A mate had a heavily adapted AK in Iraq but he had fitted a US after market regulator (as well as a rail, gangster grip etc and a very silly 'single-point' type thing on the rail, too far to sight properly)

I'm trying to remove the sight/port but the cotter pin is stuck.
  5. Mikhail Kalashnikov designed the gas system so that it took the gas it needed, and blew the rest out of the holes. It is a brilliant self-regulationg system that also blows all the crud out of the tube as it goes. I used to demonstrate my two by buriying them in the backstop, picking out the bits, blowing off the bigger bits of carp, putting them back together without bothering to match tme up, and emptying a magazine without any kind of stoppage, y'know, like they can do with the L85...

He figured out, rightly, that a soldier has other things on his mind than adjusting his gas-block whilst under fire.

6. I assume the two weapons were of the same model...

The benefits of the after-market gas reg were apparently, that the spent cases would land by your boots - less wear and tear etc. If ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind, however.
  7. Did he completely **** up the weapon system? I have no Idea why you mess with an AK. It's Inacurate but reliable. If you try and improve the Accuracy you reduce the reliability.

That said US Palm do do some very cool things with AK's. Home
  8. I've no idea I only saw photos of him actually firing the thing.

As far as accuracy is concerned it's all about Newton's third law innit.

The backward momentum applied to the firearm is actually equal and opposite to the momentum of not only the projectile, but the ejected gas created by the combustion of the charge as well. Likewise, the recoil energy given to the firearm is affected by the ejected gas.

Newton also noted that the weapon would cycle quite happily with the port nearly closed.
  9. Newton noticed how well the AK47 functioned with the port nearly closed?

Well, apologies for calling that bullshit. But that is 100% pure bullshit.

Unless, of course, your AK-shooting pal is actually called Newton....

10. In a functioning firearm moving parts, operated by both gas and recoil pressure in the weapon, only really get going once the bullet has left the barrel. Obturation of the case against the chamber wall prevent parts moving rearward until pressures drop to a safe level. Technically the bullet is long gone before gas regulation has any way to influence it; although obviously there seems to be a bit of tinkering for accuracy with gas regulation settings (harmonics, minimising excessive recoil forces of the block to minimise flinch and probably other stuff a proper Gravel belly would know about).

As Newton defined in his little published Laws on shooting- 'A rifle whose chamber opens whilst the bullet is still in the barrel is referred to as 'fucked''.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Well said.

Anyway, tell me again about you routinely burying your weapons before firing.......
  12. Only in the interests of demonstration, I assure you, and by way of showing the audience the clear superiority of the Kalashnikov design over any and all of the crop of similar firearms over the last sixty years. I do not routinely bury any of my current collection of firearms, either here in yUK or in Oregon, including a nice Romanian AK47.

13. Er... I was joking and wasn't really suggesting that Sir Isaac Newton had access to a 20th century assault rifle.
  14. Gosh. You mean that those holes in the L85 gas cylinder don't do exactly the same thing, by not being uncovered until the working parts have travelled far enough to the rear? I thought it was just a cunning plan to put a thin layer of carbon all over the inside of the top-cover.

That must be why I never had to adjust the gas plug on my L85, but why I've actually had to use the gas stoppage drill on the SLR (damn, I've said it now - serves me right for firing 300 rounds with the gas setting on 6).

Hey, if you want to run bullets down a barrel that you didn't pull through, feel free. If you look down your barrel, do you see dark rings where it's bulged slightly? I still can't figure out why you've got goldfish in your backstop, why you want to "blow them off", or why you want to simulate burial of a disassembled weapon...

Perhaps Mikhail was designing a weapon that would cope if the user was ever surprised while they had it disassembled for cleaning, and didn't have headdress to keep their working parts in? Or that would cope if two soldiers sat next to each other and got so confused that they mixed their working parts up?

Quite right. Said soldier should get a damn good slap for failing to prepare his weapon for firing, what was that first section battle drill again?
  15. my bold.

while we are all picking on you, Romania never made any AK-47. They did however make plenty of Pistol Mitralieră model 1963/1965 (or PM63/65 as they are commonly known) for export

Like this one, with the distictive foregrip