AJAX - the ‘NOT the CR2 upgrade’ thread

It's already rubber-shod, though.
For a number of reasons, Soucy band tracks make a hell of a difference, even compared to tracks with rubber pads.
They tried it out on Warrior a while ago, with some pretty impressive results beyond substantial noise and vibration reduction.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Possibly; or that they weren't competent to carry out the work, so put all the system integration risk money back on the customer, or, as the design authority knew they had the MoD over a barrel in the post-Haddon-Cave world. In the end, the equipment fit did not go ahead, so UK MoD lost out on capability and BAE lost out on business.
One of the fond illusions both politicians and some in MoD procurement hold ( who should know better ) is that BAe Systems is a British company, for whom the British National interest is a key consideration......

Um.......well.....uh......

SOURCE

United States[edit]

Main article: BAE Systems Inc.
The attraction of MES to British Aerospace was largely its ownership of Tracor, a major American defence contractor.[130]

BAE Systems Inc. now sells more to the US Department of Defense (DOD) than to the UK MoD.[131]

The company has been allowed to buy important defence contractors in the US, however its status as a UK company requires that its US subsidiaries are governed by American executives under Special Security Arrangements. The company faces fewer impediments in this sense than its European counterparts, as there is a high degree of integration between the US and UK defence establishments. BAE Systems' purchase of Lockheed Martin Aerospace Electronic Systems in November 2000 was described by John Hamre, CEO of the Center for Strategic and International Studies and former Deputy Secretary of Defense, as "precedent setting" given the advanced and classified nature of many of that company's products.[132]

The possibility of a merger between BAE Systems Inc. and major North American defence contractors has long been reported, including Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, and Raytheon.[53][133]
[134]

American investment companies (Blackrock, Invesco, Franklin Templeton, Capital Group ) own > 25%* of the shares.

[* That is, known and declared US ownership. Smaller private shareholders may increase this aggregate total ]

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the fond illusions both politicians and some in MoD procurement hold ( who should know better ) is that BAe Systems is a British company, for whom the British National interest is a key consideration......

Um.......well.....uh......

SOURCE

United States[edit]

Main article: BAE Systems Inc.
The attraction of MES to British Aerospace was largely its ownership of Tracor, a major American defence contractor.[130]

BAE Systems Inc. now sells more to the US Department of Defense (DOD) than to the UK MoD.[131]

The company has been allowed to buy important defence contractors in the US, however its status as a UK company requires that its US subsidiaries are governed by American executives under Special Security Arrangements. The company faces fewer impediments in this sense than its European counterparts, as there is a high degree of integration between the US and UK defence establishments. BAE Systems' purchase of Lockheed Martin Aerospace Electronic Systems in November 2000 was described by John Hamre, CEO of the Center for Strategic and International Studies and former Deputy Secretary of Defense, as "precedent setting" given the advanced and classified nature of many of that company's products.[132]

The possibility of a merger between BAE Systems Inc. and major North American defence contractors has long been reported, including Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, and Raytheon.[53][133]
[134]

American investment companies (Blackrock, Invesco, Franklin Templeton, Capital Group ) own > 25%* of the shares.

[* That is, known and declared US ownership. Smaller private shareholders may increase this aggregate total ]
M & A - it’s the only way to grow!

ah, yes, but it's agile, digitised noise, and thus will our foes tremble, huzzah!

Remember tuning radios (320s?) ? The burst of RF from all the sets supposedly made it impossible to DF any individual transmitter. The noise from all the recce Ajaxes works on the same principle -- overwhelming the hearing of the enemy and therebye causing confusion. It's a brilliant plan, honest.

@Cynical This more to your liking (Personally i think it could be useful to supplement jackal in light formations

Eagle 5 6x6 Recce (Swiss) 6.9M Long 2.2Wide 2.3 High
Pair up with smaller scout as well

Commonality with Duro 3
Already a contender for MRVP 2 (Ambulance - Armoured transport - also iirc a recovery varient
And the Eagle 5 4x4 was a contender for MRVP1 and could be again if JLTV is ditched for UK workshare

425fb6cc-75dc-4203-8b0e-231901e1e9d0_0.png

EAGLE-V-6x6-reconnaissance.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
@Cynical This more to your liking (Personally i think it could be useful to supplement jackal in light formations

Eagle 5 6x6 Recce (Swiss) 6.9M Long 2.2Wide 2.3 High
Pair up with smaller scout as well

Commonality with Duro 3
Already a contender for MRVP 2 (Ambulance - Armoured transport - also iirc a recovery varient
And the Eagle 5 4x4 was a contender for MRVP1 and could be again if JLTV is ditched for UK workshare

View attachment 579041

View attachment 579034

Do you work for GD? JLTV is pretty much nailed on for MRVP T1 through FMS, and with the AJAX debacle ongoing, Thales will now be front runners for T2 with Bushmaster.

Do you work for GD? JLTV is pretty much nailed on for MRVP T1 through FMS, and with the AJAX debacle ongoing, Thales will now be front runners for T2 with Bushmaster.
No -

The suggestion of such a vehicle was in light of Cynicals remarks about IFV based Recce being unsuitable -

I was simply asking if he thought the later would be a more suitable start point and / or if it wouldnt be useful to support / supplement / replace some Jackel in the light cav.

I wasnt advocating swapping it for Ajax

I threw the mention of MRVP into the mix because theres a hold on JLTV following the review,
Eagle 5 has been offerred for both MRVP requirements and the light recovery iirc -Theres a potential for a common platform.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No -

The suggestion of such a vehicle was in light of Cynicals remarks about IFV based Recce being unsuitable -

I was simply asking if he thought the later would be a more suitable start point and / or if it wouldnt be useful to support / supplement / replace some Jackel in the light cav.

I wasnt advocating swapping it for Ajax

I threw the mention of MRVP into the mix because theres a hold on JLTV following the review,
Eagle 5 has been offerred for both MRVP requirements and the light recovery iirc -Theres a potential for a common platform.
Hard to say what the ‘hold’ on MRVP T2 is for though - the programme’s already been delayed by over two years. I get your point about common platforms but Eagle may not meet one or both. MOD won’t want all its eggs in one basket either.

Hard to say what the ‘hold’ on MRVP T2 is for though - the programme’s already been delayed by over two years. I get your point about common platforms but Eagle may not meet one or both. MOD won’t want all its eggs in one basket either.

If the UK could get licenced build then whilst it may not be as good as JLTV** (could be better and price won out) It is a proven design used by several of our NATO partners - and The Duro 3 is already in UK service
I think its one of the times where perhaps a Good enough, proven design, commonality for 1 and 2 with UK build - should perhaps win out over 2 better designs with no commonality and little to no UK input.

For the sake of argument that would apply to JLTV if offerred as a 6x6 and the French Grriffon and its 4x4 stablemate - Serval IIRC)
I used the Eagle as i happenned to run accross the recce thing - I wasnt intending to advocate a particular design - just if were rethinking JLTV for more UK input lets reconsider 1 and2 compatability

**Or indeed a JLTV /MRVP based equivelant to Fennek and Jackal which appears to be the closest analogue to ferret

aye, but it would mask the beauty of the beasts barrel full of spanner’s native soundtrack.

Earmuffs on!

Oh dont worry, its quieter than the thing it replaces.....DOH!

The Jaguar EBRC trials continue. The officer in charge of the tests says mobility and turret ergonomics are better than those of its predecessor, the AMX 10RCR.

The turret is also roomier, allowing for better communication within the crew

The Jaguar EBRC trials continue. The officer in charge of the tests says mobility and turret ergonomics are better than those of its predecessor, the AMX 10RCR.

The turret is also roomier, allowing for better communication within the crew

Is the engine running or are they dragging on a tow rope ? As I can barely hear engine noise.

Although it is possible I've gone deaf after watching the Ajax video....

These discussions about how loud a particular vehicle is are not going to be resolved by watching videos, as sound levels can be adjusted in editing depending upon what someone wants to prove.

Latest Threads