AJAX - the ‘NOT the CR2 upgrade’ thread

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
With regard to storemen and their attitude, I went from the Military to a civvy airline and it was truly night and day in the attitude. Want stuff delivered directly to the aircraft?No bother! want plenty of consumables like gloves, rags, cleaning fluids, PPE and so on? No bother. Issued four workshirts on joining as well as two uniform shirts. replacements? no bother. Tools for use on aircraft, no bother. Need to buy in extra tools? the senior stores guy has the authority to spend up to 50 large without asking them upstairs,if it is relevant to the operation. Any storeman that delayed an aircraft because of a chippy attitude would be sacked in a heartbeat. In the Military,nah. Total opposite. cast iron job security and a Union rules,bud, attitude.
Storemen = Not Logisticians.

End of.

Disposal can be an expensive process whatever way its done. When our Steyr rifles were taken out of service it cost a couple mil to 'dispose' of the fleet correctly. Apparently dropping them off a ship somewhere between NZ and Fiji is no longer the done thing. Alternative would be what the Germans did and gift pallets of G3's to the Kurds, only to have some on sold and eventually end up where they shouldn't.

Recently cost Boris £900k to find out it wouldn’t be a good idea to build a bridge between Scotland and NI over Beauforts Dike where his predecessors thought it would be a good idea to dump over a million tonnes of live ordnance and 2 tonnes of radioactive waste

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

riksavage

War Hero
Disposal can be an expensive process whatever way its done. When our Steyr rifles were taken out of service it cost a couple mil to 'dispose' of the fleet correctly. Apparently dropping them off a ship somewhere between NZ and Fiji is no longer the done thing. Alternative would be what the Germans did and gift pallets of G3's to the Kurds, only to have some on sold and eventually end up where they shouldn't.
My old man’s business partner (much older than him) was a dispatch rider in WWII. He told a story about returning from France back to Blighty after the war on a ship. Everyone had war booty, one of his colleagues even had a German motorcycle and sidecar. Midway through the English Channel the MPs told everyone they’d be searched on arrival and all non-issued weapons, ammo and contraband was to be thrown over the side. Lugers, MG42s, MP40s, the lot was tossed in the sea. On arrival in port, not a single person was searched.

German motorcycle and sidecars were treasured items amongst the dispatch riders, one of my dads business partners best friends was killed trying to seize an abandoned one only to discover it was rigged to a stick grenade.

Last edited:
That old "MP's will search you/vehicles on return" sketch. Worked wonders on Ex PURPLE STAR when half the USMC camp cots that they thoughtfully provided for those visiting limeys! They obviously did not realise that it was silly of them to expect the cots to be in the same tents after the Brit soldier left to the point the USMC were going to have to write off 3/4 of their cot inventory!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That old "MP's will search you/vehicles on return" sketch. Worked wonders on Ex PURPLE STAR when half the USMC camp cots that they thoughtfully provided for those visiting limeys! They obviously did not realise that it was silly of them to expect the cots to be in the same tents after the Brit soldier left to the point the USMC were going to have to write off 3/4 of their cot inventory!
Which is funny but not something we should be proud of.

If it was done to us, we'd be dripping non-stop about the thieving bar stewards wot dun it.

Which is funny but not something we should be proud of.

If it was done to us, we'd be dripping non-stop about the thieving bar stewards wot dun it.
We would not have had the problem as back then we would have provided this......
1643019798022.png

....and no one in their right mind would steal one! ;)

Storemen = Not Logisticians.

End of.
Unfortunately,it has nothing to do with logistics,which is an art in itself and everything to do with laziness, Union Rules attitude and a mentality of untouchability. As it happens, where I work, we collect most parts from Stores ourselves but our Storemen will deliver if required and will step up if required and we have a very,very good relationship with them. The Mil storemen I encountered, both civvy and Mil, seemed to have a perpetual chippy,aggrieved attitude and the civvies would flick out the Union card at the slightest chance. There were good ones but they were swiftly ground down by the prevailing attitude. Our storemen were and are a breath of fresh air,by comparison.

riksavage

War Hero
Thread on what them there Frenchies are up to

Mostly making us look like amateurs

Amateurs would have made a half decent job of it, we’re way below amateurs, fifth columnists more like. Decisions made by the VSOs/MOD rival that of the Dreyfus affair, spy’s in our midst hell bent on degrading our ability to fight. Sadly, we can’t send the idiots who got us here to a remote island, which makes Devil’s Island look like a Butlins holiday camp.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately,it has nothing to do with logistics,which is an art in itself and everything to do with laziness, Union Rules attitude and a mentality of untouchability. As it happens, where I work, we collect most parts from Stores ourselves but our Storemen will deliver if required and will step up if required and we have a very,very good relationship with them. The Mil storemen I encountered, both civvy and Mil, seemed to have a perpetual chippy,aggrieved attitude and the civvies would flick out the Union card at the slightest chance. There were good ones but they were swiftly ground down by the prevailing attitude. Our storemen were and are a breath of fresh air,by comparison.
My point underlined, thank you.

Logistics is a science rather than an art and unit storemen are not logisticians.

I imagine civilian storemen are not the equivalent of the average QMs Department where it is often (but not always) a dead end second or third tier job in an infantry or cavalry unit, but I’m sure some of them are.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
They never searched my Squadron’s vehicles and I’d have been mightily pissed of if they had.

Those 250 cots were a gift from a grateful ally.

As we have - thankfully - been able to commit to buying something . . . the following seems to be accepted by other users, as an appropriate complement to/for BOXER.

With the usual caveats that we need to keep VSOs, away from the order forms, and force them to acknowledge and accept that our/UK, requirements are no more special, or complicated, than plenty of other users!

Maybe there is something to be gained from "safety-in-numbers", when it comes to all the others ordering Patria 6x6 vehicles?

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Published by: The Shephard News Team, on 28 January 2022.

Finland orders pre-series CAVS 6x6 vehicles.

Acquisition by Finland of three Patria 6x6 vehicles for pre-series testing will be followed by a contract for 160 vehicles in 2023.

The Finnish Defence Forces has signed a deal with Patria for three 6x6 vehicles as a pre-series acquisition under the Common Armoured Vehicle System (CAVS) programme involving Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Sweden and the Finnish company.

‘The pre-series vehicles will be in test use of the Finnish Defence Forces before the final serial order indicated by the Letter of Intent signed at the end of August 2021,’ Patria announced on 28 January.

‘All three vehicles will be delivered to the customer in summer 2022,’ said Jussi Järvinen, EVP for the Finland Division of Patria.

He noted that pre-series testing would enable the Finnish end-users to ensure ‘the fluent and effective establishment of operational readiness when the serial order deliveries begin’.

The Finnish MoD stated that it plans to sign a contract for 160 vehicles in 2023. Shephard Defence Insight estimates that this deal will be worth $170.6 million.

Of the other CAVS partners, Latvia in October 2021 received its first 6x6 vehicles and serial production is in progress, while Sweden signed up to join the programme two months later.

Estonia signed an LoI in 2019 and remains involved in the technical arrangement that forms the basis of CAVS, although the Baltic republic has not yet signed a framework contract to order vehicles.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

NemoIII

War Hero
Maybe there is something to be gained from "safety-in-numbers", when it comes to all the others ordering Patria 6x6 vehicles?

This seems almost perfect for MRVP Phase 2, or whatever they are calling it now? Is it still going ahead?

Definitely agree woth safety in numbers, but then there's plenty of AJAX in the wild but we still managed to make a right mess off that.

Makes me angry when you look what the French and Australians can provide.

This seems almost perfect for MRVP Phase 2, or whatever they are calling it now? Is it still going ahead?

Definitely agree woth safety in numbers, but then there's plenty of AJAX in the wild but we still managed to make a right mess off that.

No, no !!

If I've learnt anything from this thread, it is that whilst there may be "plenty of ASCOD (Austrian Spanish Cooperation Development) armoured fighting vehicle, in the wild" . . . on which AJAX is nominally based . . . the numerous changes to that basic ASCOD vehicle start-point, means that AJAX now has so little in common, it can safely be described as an unloved, disturbed "orphan" vehicle ;) .

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

MRVP Tranche 2 was a face off between GDLS Eagle and Thales Bushmaster, I think Patria got blown out or was withdrawn earlier. I reported a few weeks ago that Thales had pulled out so imagine its back to the drawing board, particularly if GD are last man standing!

Latest Threads