AJAX - the ‘NOT the CR2 upgrade’ thread

Aye it is, that's why I had to use an estimate based around the wife's horse. But you can't fault my logic can you? The main cost of rent is non-applicable to the army.

Erm, not really.

If you were applying the rules appropriately, you’d attribute all the associated costs involved in keeping equines to the cost of the horses: the capitation of the VOs and RAVC who are used for the horses; the cost of running Melton Mowbray (?check), and potential value of land; the cost of those who ride them; the cost of Hyde Park Barracks etc.

In effect, if horses suddenly disappeared tomorrow from the Army, what else would stop: that is the cost of equine activity.

I’d note I really couldn’t care less if the Army has horses or not.

Erm, not really.

If you were applying the rules appropriately, you’d attribute all the associated costs involved in keeping equines to the cost of the horses: the capitation of the VOs and RAVC who are used for the horses; the cost of running Melton Mowbray (?check), and potential value of land; the cost of those who ride them; the cost of Hyde Park Barracks etc.

In effect, if horses suddenly disappeared tomorrow from the Army, what else would stop: that is the cost of equine activity.

The entirety o the budget associated with HCMR and associated ceremonial duties .

As such getting rid of horses would free up exactly 0 pounds and 0 pence

The entirety o the budget associated with HCMR and associated ceremonial duties .

As such getting rid of horses would free up exactly 0 pounds and 0 pence
Or ditch HCMR, plus associated savings.

Getting rid of horses would free some money regardless.

riksavage

War Hero
plenty of horses though.
From the Times today:

“These are the deployment of Russia’s combat-ready battalion tactical groups (BTGs), Moscow’s “shock troops”, and the recent arrival of all the back-up needed for a medium-term military intervention, including medical field hospital units. Estimates of the number of troops vary from 94,000 claimed by Kiev to 70,000 by the Pentagon but the Kremlin could increase that quickly to 175,000.

This assessment is partly based on Russia’s conventional military warfare doctrine, which is heavily focused on the use of BTGs, designed to be ready at 60-minutes’ notice.

Five years ago there were 66 BTGs; today there are 168 and 50 are deployed on the border with Ukraine.”

I would love to drag the recently retired CARTER and his entourage of VSOs into an interrogation room and ask how they planned to deal with this scenario and why a country with an economy smaller than Italy can generate so many BTGs and you lot can’t even rustle up a single Brigade with the full set of toys? Cold coffee and biscuits brown as an ice breaker.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I would love to drag the recently retired CARTER and his entourage of VSOs into an interrogation room and ask how they planned to deal with this scenario and why a country with an economy smaller than Italy can generate so many BTGs and you lot can’t even rustle up a single Brigade with the full set of toys? Cold coffee and biscuits brown as an ice breaker.
Incompetence.

riksavage

War Hero
But not enough to do anything useful?
I suspect the current British Army leadership think the Wehrmacht did okay in the WW2 French campaign with a horse drawn logistics chain, so why can’t we. Plus, using horses fits the current obsession with cyber warfare, I’ve yet to meet a horse that’s been the victim of a denial of service ransomware attack! Forward thinking leadership!!

From the Times today:

“These are the deployment of Russia’s combat-ready battalion tactical groups (BTGs), Moscow’s “shock troops”, and the recent arrival of all the back-up needed for a medium-term military intervention, including medical field hospital units. Estimates of the number of troops vary from 94,000 claimed by Kiev to 70,000 by the Pentagon but the Kremlin could increase that quickly to 175,000.

This assessment is partly based on Russia’s conventional military warfare doctrine, which is heavily focused on the use of BTGs, designed to be ready at 60-minutes’ notice.

Five years ago there were 66 BTGs; today there are 168 and 50 are deployed on the border with Ukraine.”

Can someone tell @CSM's Despair..

He hasn't noticed anything untoward.

I suspect the current British Army leadership think the Wehrmacht did okay in the WW2 French campaign with a horse drawn logistics chain, so why can’t we. Plus, using horses fits the current obsession with cyber warfare, I’ve yet to meet a horse that’s been the victim of a denial of service ransomware attack! Forward thinking leadership!!

They're all 4G, too...

Or ditch HCMR, plus associated savings.

Getting rid of horses would free some money regardless.
The RN should get rid of dress uniforms and use the savings to buy a new aircraft carrier and a dozen nuclear submarines. I got these numbers from the same place as the people who say that the army can buy new tanks from savings in horse feed did.

(...) I would love to drag the recently retired CARTER and his entourage of VSOs into an interrogation room and ask how they planned to deal with this scenario and why a country with an economy smaller than Italy can generate so many BTGs and you lot can’t even rustle up a single Brigade with the full set of toys? Cold coffee and biscuits brown as an ice breaker.
Russia has the world's 6th largest economy, after Germany. That's how they can afford it.

The RN should get rid of dress uniforms and use the savings to buy a new aircraft carrier and a dozen nuclear submarines. I got these numbers from the same place as the people who say that the army can buy new tanks from savings in horse feed did.
You are VAdm Hines and I claim my £5.

I never said I agreed with the proposal, nor that it would do anything in the grand scheme of things…

From the Times today:

Because you’d be screaming blue murder if the British Army treated its soldiers in the same way the Russians treat their soldiers…

TamH70

MIA
Because you’d be screaming blue murder if the British Army treated its soldiers in the same way the Russians treat their soldiers…

Decent winter clothing, (lashings of) top of the line artillery, lots more fairly decent tanks - even if a lot of them are quite old now - than we have, a reliable (from the start) current issue assault rifle - with more on the way only better, the mutt's nuts of general-purpose machine guns, more triple-A than you can shake a wobbly stick at - from MANPADS to wheeled to tracked, a properly thought out system of reconnaissance vehicles, a whole host of Gucci body-armour smiting small arms varieties, hard and soft-kill counter-measures on their tracky gunny shooty things? And the last time they went to war, they got to keep the territory that they won, unlike us, for example?

Yeah, it really sucks to be a Russian soldier right now.

Last edited:

Latest Threads