AJAX - the ‘NOT the CR2 upgrade’ thread

Only one of the one pictured, which dates back to when they were still modifying the Warrior turret (the sight shrouds are distinctive).
Eight, I think, of this version:
WCSP1.jpg

Both images show turrets with the CT40, but we haven’t ordered any. Last I looked we’d only ordered 80 troop carrier versions of the Boxer anyway, the rest are supporting versions like C4I, engineer, ambulance etc.

Boxer CRV (Land 400) carries 6 dismounts with a manned turret, so not dissimilar to Warrior, although it’s that much bigger.

I stand corrected - Id read 4 and that was the max with a manned turret

Its what prompted a previous question viz AFV growth owing in part to all internal stowage requirements
If the turret chopped that much space could an unmanned turret bring IFV sizes back down from Lynx/ redback to Warrior (ish) sized by using space otherwise unusable owing to turret basket -

Amoot question if the premise was duff and the basket doesnt chop that much space

45x45

On ROPS
On ROPs
I would be more than happy for us to keep going with Warrior and 30mm Rarden. For the time being .
Give the turret crew a Javelin launcher and three or four missiles to play with if in a sticky situation .
I've noticed recently that a fair few Scimitars are trundling about on exercise with an NLAW launcher (600Mtr range) strapped to the back of the turret .
If they can have an A/T missile why not the Warrior ?
Again I would ask what's the purpose? Iraq the chaingun was used a lot more than the 30mm. The idea of a stabilised gun was a good one but is it really a needed requirement? On the battle field Tanks would be focusing on other tanks. For dismounted Inf it would be chain gun. Are we desperate to keep the Cav happy?

Londo

LE
Again I would ask what's the purpose? Iraq the chaingun was used a lot more than the 30mm. The idea of a stabilised gun was a good one but is it really a needed requirement? On the battle field Tanks would be focusing on other tanks. For dismounted Inf it would be chain gun. Are we desperate to keep the Cav happy?
If you are asking about the NLAW on Scimitar I have no idea . It's just something I've seen on some recent youtube vids .
Perhaps your right about keeping the cav happy :-D

45x45

On ROPS
On ROPs
there were complaints from the crews in Bosnia that the 30mm couldnt deal with Serb bunkers and some of them wanted the 76 of the Scorpion brought back.
HE generally isn't. Especially against anything soft. The ammunition is designed to take out vehicles with hard skin.

Going by vehicle number plates:
41KG05
40KG35
38KG48
38KG71
37KG75
34KG99

and presumably two more, since there looks to be eight here . . .

I know it is an old saying, that . . . “If it looks right, then it is right” . . . and in this case, can someone please, just sign the bloody contract ?!

Warrior  x 8 with CT40 turret.jpg

Last edited:

Alamo

LE
It does seem that the commander on the ground needs to be able to choose (op by op) from a range of vehicles from pickup through jackal/boxer to Mastiff, Warrior, and ultimately whatever monster replaces Warrior. However I expect units will continue to be formed around platforms and therefore seriously constrained in their tactical functionality.
You don’t have any experience of using protected mobility vehicles do you? The notion that you can select a vehicle like you can select a tie/shirt is nonsense.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You don’t have any experience of using protected mobility vehicles do you? The notion that you can select a vehicle like you can select a tie/shirt is nonsense.
When I was in 16 INT (AKA The Detachables) they used to give us the choice of any weapon in the world, you know. Sometimes, I would pick one just to be ally, sometimes I would pick one to be anonymous. But never the SA80.

I remember one mission I went on - I can't give you the details - I had four rifles, two pistols (one an old flintlock, in case we had to go back in time), the bayonet from an SMLE and a very rare GPMG which had been made out of high-melting-point butter. (It would fire rounds and not overheat but if I needed to go denial all I had to do was add a bit of thermite and it would disappear. On one mission - I can't go into details - we had to eat three of them on toast before an exfil through a civvy airport. I was stuffed.)

My bergen weighed up to 400lb but I was younger and fitter then. Plus, they'd given us really special lightweight boots. And a smock with two hoods (I'm not allowed to tell you why it had the second one; in fact, forget that you ever read this, okay?).

Frankly, I think it's about time the rest of the army caught up.

What we need is a number of regiments whose sole purpose is to provide drivers and gunners for this selection of vehicles; and ensure vehicle commanders spend all year on courses for half-a-dozen vehicles and cannot therefore tell their dismounts from Adam.

TamH70

MIA
When I was in 16 INT (AKA The Detachables) they used to give us the choice of any weapon in the world, you know. Sometimes, I would pick one just to be ally, sometimes I would pick one to be anonymous. But never the SA80.

I remember one mission I went on - I can't give you the details - I had four rifles, two pistols (one an old flintlock, in case we had to go back in time), the bayonet from an SMLE and a very rare GPMG which had been made out of high-melting-point butter. (It would fire rounds and not overheat but if I needed to go denial all I had to do was add a bit of thermite and it would disappear. On one mission - I can't go into details - we had to eat three of them on toast before an exfil through a civvy airport. I was stuffed.)

My bergen weighed up to 400lb but I was younger and fitter then. Plus, they'd given us really special lightweight boots. And a smock with two hoods (I'm not allowed to tell you why it had the second one; in fact, forget that you ever read this, okay?).

Frankly, I think it's about time the rest of the army caught up.

Swine. You had me fooled all the way up to the two hoods dit.

One hood only, innit?

QRK2

LE
I would be more than happy for us to keep going with Warrior and 30mm Rarden. For the time being .
Give the turret crew a Javelin launcher and three or four missiles to play with if in a sticky situation .
I've noticed recently that a fair few Scimitars are trundling about on exercise with an NLAW launcher (600Mtr range) strapped to the back of the turret .
If they can have an A/T missile why not the Warrior ?

I have to say it strikes me as rather a desperate bodge, completely reflective of the state of our armoured kit.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
there were complaints from the crews in Bosnia that the 30mm couldnt deal with Serb bunkers and some of them wanted the 76 of the Scorpion brought back.
Which underlines just how well thought through the CVR(T) family was. Scorpion and Scimitar were supposed to come as a pair. Scorpion's 76mm was to provide a very effective door-knocker whilst Scimitar's 30mm was to be the BMP-killer.

All overwatched by Striker, of course.

Latest Threads