AJAX - the ‘NOT the CR2 upgrade’ thread

can we have some additional protection against Mines / IEDs
can we have some additional protection against direct fire
can we have Growth room we wanted Back
We still want the same mobility
Whilst were fettling can we make it so the tallest of squaddies is comfortable
can we have Growth room we wanted Back
We still want the same mobility

Why is it now 10 ton heavier 4ft wider and 6ft longer than the origional winning design ?
I checked the URD and I've not seen anything added. Those were all KURs from over 16 years ago so if it got heavier it's because GDLS had to change the design to accommodate the initial requirements they signed up for. (less the bigger squaddie bit, I got bored)

Tornado F3 Long gone now but it's role was to loiter over the North sea and intercept Soviet bombers attacking the UK . That role it could perform if it had ever been needed .
Tucano . Was it not further developed into a training plane for the USN ?
I'm not an expert in things airborne but that was my take on things and happy to be edumaked if I'm wrong .
Embraer Tucano begat the Shorts Tucano T1 begat the Embraer Tucano H. In effect, the UK's development gifted Embraer the basics of a light ground attack aircraft (though the H model has a glass cockpit). It was selected to replace the Jet Provost for the RAF because Shorts could licence build it in N Ireland (another political decision) and had to be modified to match the other aircraft in the competition; Pilatus PC9 and Beechcraft Texan.

It is ironic that, 30+ years later, the MFTS contract has replaced dozens of Tucanos with... a handful of Texans which cannot fly over water due to, I believe, the limitations of the survival equipment onboard (they operate from a small island off the NW coast of Wales!).

I was in flying training at RAF Cranwell in 1992 when Tucanos were still being delivered from Shorts. The Shorts test pilot would taxi to the far side of the airfield and the aircraft would be left there for a while (ISTR 2 weeks) to see if it went BANG. It then went into the hangar for acceptance checks and the loose tools and fasteners would be removed from the airframe, logged as FOD, and posted back to Shorts with a note saying "please be a bit tidier next time".

Londo

LE
Embraer Tucano begat the Shorts Tucano T1 begat the Embraer Tucano H. In effect, the UK's development gifted Embraer the basics of a light ground attack aircraft (though the H model has a glass cockpit). It was selected to replace the Jet Provost for the RAF because Shorts could licence build it in N Ireland (another political decision) and had to be modified to match the other aircraft in the competition; Pilatus PC9 and Beechcraft Texan.

It is ironic that, 30+ years later, the MFTS contract has replaced dozens of Tucanos with... a handful of Texans which cannot fly over water due to, I believe, the limitations of the survival equipment onboard (they operate from a small island off the NW coast of Wales!).

I was in flying training at RAF Cranwell in 1992 when Tucanos were still being delivered from Shorts. The Shorts test pilot would taxi to the far side of the airfield and the aircraft would be left there for a while (ISTR 2 weeks) to see if it went BANG. It then went into the hangar for acceptance checks and the loose tools and fasteners would be removed from the airframe, logged as FOD, and posted back to Shorts with a note saying "please be a bit tidier next time".
Excellent and informative post . Thank you .

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Go on - prove it.

I'd suggest that any muddled thinking, if we might put it like that, was as a result of 'ensuring' UK workshare rather than as a result of people looking for post-Services careers.

it’s never about the workshare, time after time, someone with the rank to influence procurement choices turn up as non executive Directors.

it’s never about the workshare, time after time, someone with the rank to influence procurement choices turn up as non executive Directors.
Non Exec is for lightweights a part time job with very low income.

If however you can land a full time job, then you are in the money.

I checked the URD and I've not seen anything added. Those were all KURs from over 16 years ago so if it got heavier it's because GDLS had to change the design to accommodate the initial requirements they signed up for. (less the bigger squaddie bit, I got bored)
So someone picked a hull that wasn't capable of achieving the contracted requirements without substantial changes which have ended up screwing the hull ?

So someone picked a hull that wasn't capable of achieving the contracted requirements without substantial changes which have ended up screwing the hull ?
It wouldn’t have been so bad, if the bloody Spanish had welded the hulls square, instead of out of shape! Parts might have fitted.
Beginning to wonder, do they even know what quality control even is!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It's telling that they needed to state that in their promotional stand isn't it?

An additional cost.
I don’t think it’s that telling. There’s been a lot of crap spouted about what AJAX can and can’t do and that photo is from a rolling slideshow of capability video. The best way to refute rumour is to provide irrefutable proof…

The early Embraer Tucanos were already capable of carrying weapons and are still used by some South American air arms as light attack aircraft/ gunnery trainers and this was well before the advent of the Super Tucano.

Latest Threads