AJAX - the ‘NOT the CR2 upgrade’ thread

I think you'll find MBTs are even more huge - and a lot on here seem to think they are the optimum recce vehicle.
Side by side you won't see much of a difference. CR2 LEP is looking to put similar sight on to AJAX so AJAX wont have that advantage over CR2. I can see BG commanders swapping out AJAX for CR2 in the recce role after a few missions. Sameish size, same sights, bigger gun and more armour. AJAX is a bit quieter, but not by much.

@rampant
That ASOCD 42 still has 7 road wheels, same as AJAX so they haven't stretched the hull.

Seems the only reason why we cant turn AJAX into a IFV is for the massive turret ring required for the 40CTA turret. Would be nice to see a ASCOD with LM/BAE turret for comparison with WARRIOR.

The US have used M3 Bradley for years, AJAX isn't much bigger, only thing is AJAX doesn't have a ATGW capability.
Looking at the various flavours of ASCOD, and comparing the Ajax to the proposed IFVs, the difference seems to be the height of the hull roof and the position of the turret - Ajax seems to have its turret further back on the hull and a lower hull roof.

Well they can be very appropriate in many circumstances, it's true, and in other situations not so good. And Ajax is pretty much the size of a T72, so . . .
True, but then in Ajax you've got all sorts of electrickery and optics that can spot/detect stuff at quite some distance in pitch darkness, and the means to securely relay that over a radio network. Its not simply piccies either, but a whole EW suite that can add to the picture of whats going on behind yonder woods. A tank lacks the space and power storage for that level of surveillance. Ajax, I suspect, probably has a bit more than 4 batteries in series parallel in order to enable it to operate for extended periods without having to fire up stealthy gennies.

NemoIII

War Hero
Looking at the various flavours of ASCOD, and comparing the Ajax to the proposed IFVs, the difference seems to be the height of the hull roof and the position of the turret - Ajax seems to have its turret further back on the hull and a lower hull roof.
EFQDl5cWkAgB1md.jpeg.jpg

Yeah on the ASCOD 42 the turret basket is further forward compared to a AJAX.

ugly

LE
I suppose with a large vehicle you have one team manning/ digging it in/hiding it and supporting 2 or more ops on foot providing overwatch, fire support and refuge for rest and relief.
So to place 2 x2 man ops you actually need 40 ton of armour, driver, commander and gunner plus 10 to 12 dismounted troops. That's the regular army next year in one apc!

From what has been posted here, it sounds like the Ajax has a different/larger turret ring set compared to the ASCOD versions. This along with the turret basket it all eats up a lot of the internal space of the hull leaving minimal space for maybe 4 dismounts versus the ASCOD's 8.
There’s Ajax the UK turreted Recce Vehicle, which does have a large turret ring, and there’s AJAX the family of vehicles which includes the IFV version that was offered to the Aussies. The IFV version is not based on the UK turreted recce vehicle, but instead the UK APC version, Ares

Do you have any pictures? Seems weird they would offer such a compromise when ASCOD42 is already designed?
For all I know the Land 400 IFV is closer to the ASCOD 42, but it’s a different turret for sure. The point is that it isn’t an existing Ajax hull roof

Latest Threads