AIs Course in September

Discussion in 'ACF' started by paulus, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm down to do the AIs course in September at Frimley, although recently had a friend attend who failed, I'm a bit concenered as they didn't want to talk about it and expand on where they went wrong.

Any tips on what to expect at frimley, what should I aim at swotting up on/prepping for.

Potter

2. Talk to your sector/county training officer. They should be able to advise you what you need to know.

The thing about courses is that sometimes you just don't get into the rythm of it, often because it was not at all what you expected. I've failed miserably on one course and only partially passed another for that reason, then re-done them only to sail through and actually enjoy the experience!

I think not knowing what to expect is worse than not having done the preparatory work or experience.

3. the two main elements IIRC are SAA and Drill. ther are also written tests on fieldcraft, ma and compass and an open book test on the safety pamphlet. Having said that I did my AIs course in 1996. Good luck.

4. You will be expected to to do 2 TP's one on the GP rifle and one on the LSW you will see the permanent staff teach all of the lessons you will be expected to teach, so ears and eyes open and take in all you can, get your lesson plan out of the way as soon as you know what TP's you are teaching and then practice, lots.

There is a small drill element, drill every day for approximately 45 mins you will drill your squad in front of the RSM on the friday morning.

There are also a couple of written exams, JSP535 open book, 1 and 2 star fieldcraft, 1 and 2 star Map and Compass.

Army Cadet Force.Com is the place to go for more information you will find a lot of people over there that have done this course and a few ADS, do a search there is loads of info available.

Zippy483

5. Thanks for the pointers, is there any fieldcraft involved or is it simply classroom based?

6. no fieldcraft, its all paper test mostly, prewar etc , also remember all your drill commands the first night for the test on Friday, you won't have time to do it the rest of the week, Its a good course basically it tells you where your bad and good points are.

I passed on first attempt which I think is pretty good, but even if you fail first time you can still come back and redo, 1 member from my County did that, he failed and came back on the same course as me and passed.

you can fail on safety in weapons and be given an F and come back again, so watch your Weapon safety safety, bone up on Fieldcraft, Map and Compass, Red book test, LSW and GP, Do your TP as per your manual the Frimley DS wrote these manuals, Bring Webbings !, watch what you say in the Mess, don't drink too much and Enjoy yourself.

7. It's pretty tough to fail, the instructors really want you to pass or they have to see you again..... just go with the right attitude, know your 1 & 2 star stuff and don't be afraid to ask questions. Let us know how you get on.

8. The instructors don't go out of their way to fail people - they want you to do well and they do understand that the ACF is a hobby and therefore do not expect you to be perfect.
    What they are looking at is that you are safe first and foremost to teach SAA unsupervised. Make sure you try and get some hands on weapons practice before you go... the people that struggle are often those who are trying to learn the skills on the course.
    Listen to the instructors tips - watch how they teach lessons and do it their way - they have been doing it years! Use the ADS who are around in the evenings, they are more than happy to help. And practice your EDIP sequence in the evenings as that is another thing that also lets people down. It's no good having a perfect lesson plan if you can't actually physically teach the lesson!!

9. I had that as we rarely got access to LSWs, GP is fine, still got though it,I'm still fuming at the lack of opportunities prior to Frimley to practice on LSWs.
    the new weapons system coming out soon, single shot SA80s for Cadets will have the same drills as LSWs, that should help in the future.

10. There is no requirment to bring webbing, the issue it

11. Not much else to add really other than enjoy yourself. All the rgfular instructors are there to help. Get slaughtered at the dinner but try and get off the square the next daybefore you honk up.

12. Came back on sunday and loved it, a great course! There were quite a few late nights but really enjoyed myself.

13. Well done. Glad you enjoyed it.

14. First of all Congratulations, :D it is a very good course, I hope you found it easy to get into it, maybe you can do a little post course debrief for others who are going ?

I went 18 months ago and found it enjoyable if hard work at times you leave with a good idea of your abilities and more.

15. Bit of a debreif for some of the others:-

The social parts of the course (i.e. bar in the evening) is all in suit, shirt and tie for men and dresses (below the knee for women). The bar is super cheap (£1 a pint for lagers), but be careful not to knock the arse out of it as it'll affect your performance on the course, but thats down to personal choice.

The first morning you have the opportunity to loan kit (webbing etc), and then the first two full days (generally monday and tuesday) are spent in weapons lessons, doing drill and map and compass, pay attention to the way these lessons are taught! At the end of the second day you'll get issued your SAA lessons to teach in your TP's (teaching practices), the TPs then start first thing the third day. As you can tell theres not much room for practice/prep, so get yourself a drink in the bar and show your face, then get onto your lesson prep!

The first TP's are conducted on the wednesday morning in groups of 5 or so, typically the TP is taught by the CFAV with three other CFAVs in the lesson and the DS marking in the corner, the next CFAV to do a TP is normally outside the lesson practicing. Some of the DS will directly give the grade you got in your TP immeidiatly afterwards, although some will give an indication and tell you at the end of the course. Failing one TP will not result in you failing the course. The main reason for failing the TPs was safety, so pay attention to your lesson in the manual and make sure you teach the items in red! NSPs at start and end of lesson as well.

At start of the course on the program we had the drill sequence, which we had to memorise for the friday drill test, don't stress too much about this as the drill test isn't worth much towards the final mark and you'll pick up the drill sequence quick enough by practicing.

The next TP is delivered on thursday morning and in this case you have a little more time to think about it/practice. There are then theory tests on M&C (what was taught the previous two days), fieldcraft (prior knowledge) and a red book test. Thursday night is the mess dinner and is an opportunity for you to relax after your TPs are out of the way, again i would advise not knocking the arse out of it as you'll regret it the following morning, no one wants to vom on the parade square!

The final day of the course consists of a round robin (with the groups rotating between LSW/L98 WHT, a simple M&C practical and the drill/turnout test). After this all the kit is handed in, mess bills paid, weapons cleaned and rooms tidied. Its then onto the individual interviews where they tell you the content of your course report nad your final grade and then into the end of course address.

My mess bills for the course were around £52, which covered my food on the course, dinner night meal and share of wines/port on the dinner night.

A lot of the feedback was where red (safety) stuff was missed in the SAA TP, in the demonstration phase of EDIP they prefer you not to give a running commentary, but instead the commentary and then the actions (in short stages). Masking movment is something they like, but you'll be told about that on the course.