Airtech vs Electech

Discussion in 'REME' started by Reynolds3666, Dec 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, I'm currently at pirbright doing my phase 1, pass out in 4 weeks, and going for aircraft technician. I'm thinking of changing to electronic technician and just looking for more info about it, what's the job like compared to Airtech? What would be the most exciting of the two jobs? And also as an Electech could I posted to any type of regiment? Im a bit worried about Airtech being a bit boring compared to other job roles, quick replies would be appreciated!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. Try the sticky on the main page.

Your questions, however, are subjective. I have no idea what the most exciting thing to the next bloke is, who's to say it flicks my switch or more importantly yours?
  3. D'oh! I thought this was going to be a link to a video of two bespectacled weiners throwing their limp, sunlight starved wrists at each other with snot and shit flying.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Can't say which is the more 'exciting', but electronics tech will have more postings available and more varied kit to work on.
  5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

You could combine the best of both worlds, and try for Avionics. But they do have a strict criteria mind. The main qualities being devilishly handsome, heroic and hard as nails. You must possess a BTEC City and guilds distinction in making huge amounts of women fall at your feet, as well as be able to dominate any social situation with quips often relating to most of the above.

Or you could go for Armourer - Spaz will be along shortly to fill you in on the info.

6. Do want you want to do.

Then go aircrew. The really bright ones always do.
  7. I've just left arborfield from my class one. (A couple of weeks ago) You don't have a choice of what trade you go now. It is selected for you depending on what they want at the time.

Poor time to be a tech as they will just get rid of you if you are not a yes man because of the amount of tech's about.
  8. snaaake!!!
  9. So that would be an AirElecTech?
  10. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Yes, but they came up with "Avionics" to save the hassle of saying "Aircraft Electronics".
  11. Tank doctor is best doctor.
  12. As an ECE it pains me to say it but I dont think thats true anymore. It will be interesting to see what the Corps plans for the Land Systems tech, certainly there is the chance to be proactive and get the techs out onto the UOR platforms as a type of hybrid VE but the halcyon days of MBTs and Heavy Arty seem to be in the past.
  13. As an Airtech I can't really see why any well informed new recruit would want a career in REME aviation. Now that Tech pay and time promotion are gone there is no incentive to take on the extra responsibility associated with either trade. Not mention the ever increasing amount of associated legislation to contend with and the fact that soon there will be only four major posting locations.

If you're joining REME go VM. The opportunities are just as good and you will have a better quality of life.
  14. Airframe/Driver and breaker of , takes brains to fix them.
  15. Couldn't agree more! Or you could go toolie and get promoted faster and do even less!
    • Like Like x 1