Airtech vs Electech

Hey guys, I'm currently at pirbright doing my phase 1, pass out in 4 weeks, and going for aircraft technician. I'm thinking of changing to electronic technician and just looking for more info about it, what's the job like compared to Airtech? What would be the most exciting of the two jobs? And also as an Electech could I posted to any type of regiment? Im a bit worried about Airtech being a bit boring compared to other job roles, quick replies would be appreciated!

Reynolds

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Try the sticky on the main page.

Your questions, however, are subjective. I have no idea what the most exciting thing to the next bloke is, who's to say it flicks my switch or more importantly yours?

D'oh! I thought this was going to be a link to a video of two bespectacled weiners throwing their limp, sunlight starved wrists at each other with snot and shit flying.

Can't say which is the more 'exciting', but electronics tech will have more postings available and more varied kit to work on.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
You could combine the best of both worlds, and try for Avionics. But they do have a strict criteria mind. The main qualities being devilishly handsome, heroic and hard as nails. You must possess a BTEC City and guilds distinction in making huge amounts of women fall at your feet, as well as be able to dominate any social situation with quips often relating to most of the above.

Or you could go for Armourer - Spaz will be along shortly to fill you in on the info.

;-)

I've just left arborfield from my class one. (A couple of weeks ago) You don't have a choice of what trade you go now. It is selected for you depending on what they want at the time.

Poor time to be a tech as they will just get rid of you if you are not a yes man because of the amount of tech's about.

Tank doctor is best doctor.
As an ECE it pains me to say it but I dont think thats true anymore. It will be interesting to see what the Corps plans for the Land Systems tech, certainly there is the chance to be proactive and get the techs out onto the UOR platforms as a type of hybrid VE but the halcyon days of MBTs and Heavy Arty seem to be in the past.

Tank doctor is best doctor.
As an Airtech I can't really see why any well informed new recruit would want a career in REME aviation. Now that Tech pay and time promotion are gone there is no incentive to take on the extra responsibility associated with either trade. Not mention the ever increasing amount of associated legislation to contend with and the fact that soon there will be only four major posting locations.

If you're joining REME go VM. The opportunities are just as good and you will have a better quality of life.

As an Airtech I can't really see why any well informed new recruit would want a career in REME aviation. Now that Tech pay and time promotion are gone there is no incentive to take on the extra responsibility associated with either trade. Not mention the ever increasing amount of associated legislation to contend with and the fact that soon there will be only four major posting locations.

If you're joining REME go VM. The opportunities are just as good and you will have a better quality of life.
Couldn't agree more! Or you could go toolie and get promoted faster and do even less!

Talking from my own experience which may be of use to you. I did my three years training as an aircraft technician at Arborfield. The training was top grade and at that time did not see farther down the road than being a mech. I have now been licensed for 37 years and the pay overseas as a heli mech can be good. After tax I get about GBP 75 thou a year. Avionics people can virtually name their own price especially on short contracts.

In the years to come when you get licensed I recommend doing the training and modules for the maintenance side and also the avionics (B1/B2). It will help keep you in work and get you better work, assuming you are willing to go where the work is. Looking at the long terms, as roads are built, there is less work for a helicopter but offshore and medical emergency services will be there forever.

You ask about interest. I reckon the mech side of things is the more interesting. That, and if you can fix something as badly designed for maintenance as a helicopter you can truly fix anything. Electronics and avionics, probably any work of interest is done in the ' avionics bay' and you do not necessarily need to be licensed for that. A few people are making a good income by finding alternate parts to fit into outdated radio fits. That implies a fair bit of knowledge.

I suppose in the end its a case of survival. Helicopter mechs can maintain industrial turbines, ROVs, UAVs, cars, trains, the list goes on. The criteria will be expect to move to where the work is. Get licensed and accept crap pay till your experience and types get you a good consistent income. Over the years I have worked Quality Assurance in electronics, built sea going boats and fixed cardboard making machines. Initially that pay will be way better than aviation and the overall experience is useful.

Talking from my own experience which may be of use...
Most young guys are like you once were, they are just intent on joining the Army. We were all in that position once and I think we can all empathise. You just want your foot in the door and the future can take care of itself, if you cared beyond 22yrs in the future then you wouldn't be joining up. As to future prospects REME aviation offers no serious long term advantage over other trades. If you want to become a licensed civilian aircraft engineer then you still have to go sit the exams, if that really interested you then you might as well forget about joining up and go do a Zero to Hero course now and start earning the big bucks quicker.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT

For people joining today's Army - they will have no basis for comparison, so they'll be joining based on the job itself, and not some "tech pay" they've never heard of. Things will always change - that's life; but what may be seen as a bad change in the eyes of the 'dinosaurs', could be seen as a good and much needed change in other people's eyes. You have to think beyond your own career on this one and look at the bigger picture.

As for posting locations; not everyone wants the upheaval every 2-3 years of boxing their houses up, moving somewhere else, only to find themselves repeating the process 2-3 years down the line. Even more so if they have kids in school. It offers a chance of settling sooner, buying a house and spending the majority of time in one location, like their civilian counterparts. So the 'lack of postings' may actually suit more people out there.

I agree with most of what you and Zapped say - the aviation world is a shadow of its former self in many areas. But you have to look at why. We are no longer sitting on our arrses in Germany with pilots flying simply to maintain currency, pushing cabs out on the pan 2 hours clear. We no longer have an abundance of spares sat in FAACO and every Weds and Fri to sit twiddling our thumbs. You could argue that these days our job is much more important, demanding and professional - and for that reason there is a sense of pride about being part of something that's a great deal more mission-focussed with strategic significance. A lot of my civvie mates are in awe over what we get to do (i.e. look after one of the most technologically advanced attack aircraft on the battlefield that will ultimately save lives in one of the most significant campaigns of our military history). If that's no longer a selling point to retain your loyalty, then maybe you should gracefully step to one side and let one of your more junior counterparts come to the fore and lead the way. Or are you now one of those caught up in that pension trap, just treading water until your escape date?

Having had a quick shufti at the Role Finder on the MOD site, things seems to be really different across the Army, let alone REME. I'm always wary in threads like this that the 90's BAOR that I knew doesn't really exist any more let alone the REME trades that I knew.

Having had a quick shufti at the Role Finder on the MOD site, things seems to be really different across the Army, let alone REME. I'm always wary in threads like this that the 90's BAOR that I knew doesn't really exist any more let alone the REME trades that I knew.
True dat.

Without doubt it's been an interesting time to be a soldier. My first Tiffy was a big role model in my life and even as an ASM I used to speak to him to ask his advice on things but the Army has moved on that much in the 10 years that he has been out that his advice is often outdated.

That being said I think that we could take advantage of A2020 and cement a busy and purposeful role for technicians

& dare I say it, perhaps merge Land Systems techs and Avionics....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Aviation 11
kingcal91 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 19
T REME 10