Airtanker PFI - the train wreck that keeps on giving

...And how long will it take to put the stuff back in the event of a "surge requirement". I wish I had bought shares in AirTanker, I'd be set-up for the rest of my life.

If it was delivered to go straight into the surge fleet, why was it delivered with all the mission-specific gubbins (MSG) fitted? It should have been delivered 'fitted for, not with' (like most of our kit) with all the MSG in crates as part of the CES, Shirley?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

S0I

LE
If it was delivered to go straight into the surge fleet, why was it delivered with all the mission-specific gubbins (MSG) fitted? It should have been delivered 'fitted for, not with' (like most of our kit) with all the MSG in crates as part of the CES, Shirley?

Do you doubt the wisdom of the PFI?

Buy civilian model airliner...
Convert to military(ish) model tanker/trooper...
Convert back to civilian model airliner...
Then, if you need it, convert back into military(ish) tanker/trooper!

Repeat endlessly.

It's economic genius if you ask me, AirTanker have guaranteed themselves work playing airliner dolly dress up for decades!

Of course, we could have just bought an OTS A330 MRTT that does the tanking/trooping Job better, AND shifts 32 pallets for much the same price as a converted A330 airliner, but then you could not have ripped the MOD off leasing it out at their expense.

I would guess they wanted to make sure it worked as a tanker and have a practice at stripping it out

I would guess they wanted to make sure it worked as a tanker and have a practice at stripping it out
So, no one got any practice on the ones actually being used as tankers then? They are switching out all the seats, as well, so that more cattle can be shoved in en route to Malaga.
It used to cost a fortune to re-role a VC10 trooper into Royal Flight mode (especially as they used to do 2 just in case). Three months work plus wear and tear on the kit plus a set of bucket-shop economy seats plus flight testing plus switching the jet onto the civil register will be a pretty penny, I tell thee.

Last edited:

Latest Threads