Airsoft - Valuable training tools, or waltish toys?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Sep 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was chatting with a mate the other day and we got onto the subject of airsoft guns (we were passing a shop that sells them) and if they could be useful as training tools (H&S, insurance, and so on considerations aside)?

Obviously they're going to be useless for anything long range, but for FIBUA (or whatever the current acronym is) they sound ideal.

Has anyone actually had any experience of using them for this type of thing?

I know that weapons for simunitions are available through the system, but both times I've used them, they've been utter crap and jammed more often than they fired. So I'm not overly impressed by them.

What's the verdict of my fellow ARRSErs, worth a look, or steer clear?
  2. Useful for teaching your kids how to deal with intruders.
  3. Okay, I'll admit it, at the risk of being slated and called a fúcking Walt. I used to own/play with them a couple of years back (yeah, I was/am young and I guess I was kinda a walt but I grew up, honest), but I am not going to pretend like I know anything about guns and tactics when I start basic.

I guess they can give you an idea what it would be like moving from room to room etc, and in my mind you'd have to have similar tactics and movements, but it doesn't mean they are good soldiers. I did it for a bit of fun, and I wasn't dressed up like a SWAT member or Para like some of the fat wannabe bastards were.

So maybe some of the people who've done it might have a bit better idea than someone who has NEVER done anything, but I don't think it's something that should be adopted in any official manner or in any training sense.

Erm, yeah, that's all. I've taken a risk by admitting that I've ever had something to do with airsofting, so give me your worst.

4. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well that must have shaved weeks off your training then, I bet they had you take a few classes so the instructors could bunk off.
  5. That the kind of thing I meant!

Thanks for finding the thread Stabtiffy. I did do a search but gave up after the first few pages rather than go 2 1/2 years back!

Anyone else with any relevant experience of using these in a training situation?