Airsoft: change in the law

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SelfLoadingRifle, Sep 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Airsoft...

I know, I know, airsofting is a synonym for walting. Be that as it may, my gun club uses airsoft a lot of entertainment corporate programs because it bypasses a shed load of government imposed red tape. We shoot targets with electronic sensors (not each other) and proper range procedure is observed. Remove walts from the picture, and the actual airsoft weaponry is really good kit. The top end of the market gear is accurate enough to hit a beer can at 20 yards, and the drills and functions are identical with the real McCoy.

These things are actually incredibly good fun. However on the 1st of October, the law is changing when Clause 30 of the Violent Crime Reduction Bill comes into effect. Basically, you will be able to keep any airsoft kit you possess, plus buy the necessary parts to service it, but you will be unable to purchase any further weapons unless you are a fully accredited member of an official Walt airsoft cowboys and indians club.

In other words, if you want to acquire an airsoft weapon PUT YOUR ORDER IN NOW. If you really fancy hanging out with the camoflage underpants crowd in order to get your Airsoft Acquisition Ticket, you're a better man than I am Gunga Din!! My gun club will be applying for official status as an accredited airsoft skirmishing organisation. However no skirmishing will take place on our premises. This will enable us (and our membership) to buy new kit as necessary, without having anything to do with the official airsoft scene.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)
  2. If you up the power rating (Over 1.35 Joule or 1ft/lb) then they cease to be a realistic imitation because they become an air pistol. ;)
  3. Yes there's that, also. WHy dont you guys just buy some air irfles? I have a 1950's Soviet Baikal .177 breech loader. Dunno the ft/lbs, but it kills rabbits, squirrels and skunks just as dead as my .22, without the noise.Shoots straight, totally legal.
  4. The short answer is that we do use air rifles... We have a number of scoped up pre-charged pneumatic Airarms S200s and S400s, and a corporate program for those as well. They are fun to shoot, pinpoint accurate and don't take your shoulder off which is a big plus for the novice shooter. Also it sidesteps all the legal hoo-ha associated with shotguns and firearms.

HOWEVER airsoft is still important. The low power is actually an asset not only for safety reasons but because it enables you to set up a range indoors. Also, it is close enough to military kit in form and function for military practices to be shot. The corporate types really enjoy this.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)
  5. Don't forget that the Section 21 prohibition on persons with a criminal record being in possession of firearms applies equally to air weapons as it does to shotguns and FAC rifles etc.

Certainly as far as the air rifles are concerned you haven't sidestepped any "legal hoo haa" at all. You've just overlooked it.

FCC rate sub 1ft lb airsoft guns as not being subject to the 1968 act but that's only an opinion, not law. Not sure if it's an offence for a prohibited person to be in possession of a replica......

PM for details if you wish. I'm equally happy to give details in this forum.
  6. I for one sleep safer in my bed knowing nasty nasty toy guns are illegal :twisted:
    rather than if you point one at someone you get nicked :twisted:
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Theres another thread on this from a week or so ago - it seems there is a clause to cover airsoft. Try a google search, 'airsoft forum' and you should find the latest on what you need to know/do.
  8. So you dress up in the Green Gear/Police/SS/PARA/SAS/Marine or other knobber kit..high end or whatever, and t.w.a.t about popping at each other with small plastic balls from replica service wpns...and run by me again how this in any way can not be extreme walting ?

If it was used by The service as a training aid then i can see a use for it.

Yes it may be fun but it seem a haven for a certain type of Walt.(wanabees etc etc)

And i maybe an old stick in the mud but anyone who points any form of Wpn at me is fair game for "Educatin"

If corporate types want to play green tell them to join up......last time i checked it was not about entertainment!
  9. Err No, Section 21 only covers those who have served time at her majesties pleasure, and in many cases only imposes a time limit:

Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 prohibits a person from possession of any type of firearm if they have been given a custodial sentence when convicted of a criminal offence.

Section 21 of the Firearms Act (1968) As amended in Scotland in italics:

In England and Wales, the prohibition may be lifted on application to the Crown Court, for advice please consult a solicitor.

Good referance site:
  10. You're right, I should have elaborated on it I suppose.

I was aware of the conditions.

Thanks for putting the details up.
  11. ahh yet again another silly law to clobber ordinary folks, while criminal scrotes will ignore it as usual.

sorry was being a little sarcstic and cynical. :evil:
  12. Clearly.

You're nowhere near as cynical as the self serving muppests who vote this cr4p in.
  13. So if you're nicked for drunk driving, and serve 10 days, or whatever, you can't own a BB gun? Very gay, that.UK has gone waaaay toooo faaaarr, it sometimes seems...
  14. Correct on the first count, possibly on both....
  15. And this helps address gun crime in the UK by.......?????
    I am I missing something or has some halfwit tw@t in Whitehall lost the plot completely?
    AirSoft ansd toy guns are not a threat to society, it was neither that killed a kid in Liverpool a few weeks ago or anybody else for that matter.

How will it help by making toys harder to obtain than the real thing?