Airsoft And The Law.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Drivers_lag, May 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the crack with airsoft weapons?

The reason I ask is that I want a realistic looking weapon as a prop for my films, but when I went to purchase one, I could only buy a BB gun with blue all over it. The reason being that more realistic weapons could be used for stick ups.

Yet Airsoft weapons are almost indistinguishable from the rill dill - so what's the crack? Do you need a permit etc?

Cheers.

2. Yes you need a permit for the ones that are no De-milled with red/blue/green parts. I have no further info other than that i am sorry, I am not an airsoft user i was in a tackle shop that sold them and was at the counter when an urk asked the question.

3. Didn't see your location but apparently the mini mp5 battery operated air soft gun I bought years ago to improve drinking games needs a licence here in aus.

4. Get yourself on an airsort forum and ask if there's anyone local prepared to rent you some to use as props, you could offer to chuck them a few free shots of a Doris in combats holding their stock etc. Worth a punt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Most airsofters would give you the weapon for free in exchange for oggling a real life woman.

The fucking vigins.

• Like Like x 11
  6. When I looked about 4 years ago there was something along the lines of an airsoft retailers association that self regulates more or less.

As a plastic walt you have to join an airsoft club, go play x number of times, when they are happy with you they willgive you a membership card that you show in the shop to buy a black nasty airsoft gat.

Loophole: I vaguely recall that 50% of the gat has to be coloured skyblue pink with an orange hue. You buy spares for a particular model that are all the nice black colour and put it together yourself. Or, just get a tin of gunmetal duplicolor. "ooooh no officer I have had it since before the new law came in".

I know movie people can get speshul permissions so you may want to write to the local plod explaining the case. I'm sure that for your films about 50 of them would happily come along to vet you during shooting.

7. Sad, but I knew a couple of *ampshire Police Firearms lads who play airsoft...............when I found that out it about said it for me regarding the vast majority of UK firearms officers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Check out the shops run by asians that sell homeware stuff they normslly have them in non spastic colours either that or just buy one and ratle can it black.

9. Violent Crime Reduction Act it's called.

If you are just cutting about with a camcorder and your mates you'll need to ask airsofters, as suggested.
    If you are a film company and have a budget you can either hire the props or buy the props.

Let me know which one you are and where you are and I maybe able to help.

10. Apparently, the blue stuff is made of a speshul polymer that won't be painted. Already thought of that one.

11. Stan_da_bout is yer man, honest. He'd slipped my alzy ridden mind.

12. I'm somewhere in between - I'm a professional producer of high quality grott, but it's not like you need a huge crew or budget to produce that. Nice professional model, a few lights and a camera technician is all you need.

13. I got a G36 and an SA80 in bright colours for my lad stripped them down hung the bits on the washing line and sprayed with matt black rattle can paint and it hasnt come off!

14. That's not the issue, it's if you are a business that counts and not an amatuer.

15. It's a business. You in the business of prop hire/aquisition?